Thursday, January 18, 2007

I hope that pound takes up residence in a happy cow somewhere in California

I LOST A POUND! One whole lard-filled pound. Well, maybe it was more water-filled, but I think I counted one less dimple on my left butt cheek and, like Martha Stewart would say, "That is a good thing."

The past few days haven't been easy, but I've found myself strangely drawn to exercise. To push my body just a little bit harder. To see how red I can make my face.

And, to be completely honest, it feels damn good. I had forgotten how my body reacts when I don't pump my veins full of salt and fat, mostly in the form of delicious, delicious french fries from Wendy's -- my all-time favorite edible splurge. Well, besides ice cream. And maybe chocolate. And definitely my mom's little crab appetisers. ... Okay, so the fries are my all-time favorite salty splurge.

But it's happening. After a little more than a week, I've started to form a habit. I know because when I considered bypassing my daily run yesterday, I couldn't do it. I felt too guilty. So I put on my running shoes. Then I ran farther.

And that one small change is snowballing: I'm eating better. I'm sleeping better. I feel better.

So when my reward showed up in the form of a little less mass when I stepped on my scale, I celebrated like it was 10 pounds. Because I haven't seen that scale go in the downward direction in a long, long time.

And my newly fewer-dimpled ass is inspiring Jerry, too. He recently inherited a weight set from a friend and decided to set up a mini gym in our basement. I used to be impressed that I could lift my measly 10-pound hand weights for multiple reps, but when I saw him curl 40 pounds with nothing more than a bit of an eye squint, I decided I'm a wuss. A big girly wuss who almost dropped one of those 40-pound weights when I tried to see if I could do it, too.

I can't. Not even close.

In fact, I think if I had held onto it any longer, my small intestine would've popped out of my butt.

So I'm sticking with what works for me. And if it's running for just a few minutes every day, well, I consider that a step in the right direction.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you, Kelly!

I was wondering if I could ask you something. I was in class the other day, and my teacher was wondering what the people that we look up to have to say about underage drinking, and underage drinking and driving.

Seeing that you are one of my daily reads on Xanga, I was wondering what your thoughts were on the topic.

Ashley said...

just for the record, i am from wisconsin, and i must say that our cows are happier (and taste better too!)

i like the new site! have a great day.

novelle360 said...

Underage drinking ... sure. I'll write about that topic tomorrow.

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

Good job!

And you're right. You gotta do what works for you. And for me, it's apparently Counting every calorie I eat and substituting meals for Slim Fast shakes and Meal bars. Last weigh in was this past Sunday and I've lost 12 lbs since the 1st!

That and reading a book on my lunch break instead of looking for something to eat. Unfortunately my library has all the copies of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" checked out...... and that's exactly where i'm at in the series!!!

Kristin said...

Exercise is totally addictive! (thank God for that) I started out twice a week and now I'm up to 4 times a week and soon I know it will be at least 6 if not all 7. Cheers to you and your one pound lost!

Kathryn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Dee said...

Isn't it wonderful when you feel healthy like that? I just love staying active and taking care of myself. And like you said -- it's a snowball effect because then you're sleeping better, too.

And who doesn't love them some sleep?! Mmmmmm.

Lim Jun Jie said...

The "small intestine popping out from you butt" was totally unexpected. Hilarious.

Hannah said...

"In fact, I think if I had held onto it any longer, my small intestine would've popped out of my butt." - That made me laugh out loud. :)

Congrats on the one pound. May there be many more lost in the future. :)

Marina said...

Right on. I totally understand how addicting it is. I'm in the same place now myself. Hopefully I don't drop it anytime soon...

jentheone said...

That is so awesome! Good luck with that!

Rachel said...

Way to go on the loss! It took me almost two years to lose the thirty I gained in college. Exercise 6 days a week plus counting every calorie really wore me out. As they say, slow and steady wins the race.

I've been a regular reader for more than a year but never commented. I'm a PSU grad, Pittsburgh resident, and newlywed, so I can relate to a lot of your topics. Keep it up!

Jessica said...

Wow, congratulations! I think the chocolate cravings have been sent my way, I can't seem to get enough!

Lewis said...

That's great! I actually start working out with a trainer on Tuesday. He called me and told me we'd start talking about my goals and what I hope to accomplish.

This is going to be rough.

Emale said...

Good job, Kelly. Once again, you inspire me. Maybe I'll run tomorrow. Or maybe I'll just hit the snooze button 5 times. In any case, congratulations and keep up the hard work.

-Emale