Friday, February 2, 2007

Bigmongous news!

So I can finally share the big news around here. And that in itself is so exciting that it makes me want to pee my pants a little. I have been unable to write about it or even hint at it for at least three months and the knot in my chest from stifling such weighty information feels like I'm carrying around a basketball in my ribcage. A big hairy basketball filled with news.

JERRY GOT HIS OWN MORNING SHOW!

For those unfamiliar with the world of radio, the morning drive is the most highly coveted of time slots. It's less music, more talk and, in my admittedly biased opinion, the perfect environment for Jerry to spread his crazy wings. He will co-host the show with his longtime friend and coworker Troy. It will be called "Troy & Jerry in the Morning," you know, after their names.

Sure, this is going to mean big changes for us. For starters, we will be working exact opposite shifts. Jerry will work 4 a.m. to noon and I'll work 4 p.m. to midnight. But like everything thrown our way, we'll make it work. We always do.

It isn't going to be easy. Especially because we're now going to bed around the time Jerry will be getting up when his show starts on Monday. There will be no gradual transition. In three days, our schedule will be turned on its ear.

But Jerry is so excited that there isn't even a word to describe it. Not overjoyed, not ecstatic, not even jubilant. More like jubiljoystatic. And I can deal with a little interrupted sleep for that.

The weeks leading up to this transition have been busy. Jerry and Troy have been creating a concept for their show, working on the advertising campaign, designing a logo, creating promotional spots and pitching their ideas.

From what limited information I've been privy to, it's shaping up to be a fun fresh start for people's mornings. Again, biased, I know.

But I still think it's going to be great.

And, ahh, that feels so much better now that the secret's out.

25 comments:

wissh said...

This one is definitely worth figuring out the comment feature for (and setting up a google account).
Congratulations, Jerry! (Can we listen online?) Congratulations, Kelly, for sacrificing precious shut eye, being supportive and keeping secrets!

Tiger said...

Oh congrats!!! That is so neat!!!!

said...

awwww! i wish i was closer so i could tune in! we don't get many pa stations down here in the south of jersey. you will have to let all of us know if we can tune in online! congrats guys!!! <3

ps. kelly, it's pretty amazing that you could keep such a wonderful secret for so long!

Julie said...

Yay, Jerry!!! That's wonderful news!

leogirl827 said...

That's awesome!! Congratulations!!

Emmy said...

WOW! That's SUPER! Umm. What station? Maybe, I'll get to listen in on them two during my mornings filled with Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks Coffee. lol

www.xanga.com/the_plainsman said...

T&J in the AM! Great news! Wierd schedules provide more fodder for both broadcaster and journalist! Yeah, you guys will make it work.

But the real winner is TOBY! He will never be home, alone!

Wendy said...

Congrats to Jerry! I wish I was there. I would love to listen.

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

Radio is so much fun.

I have the Weekday 5:00PM hour to myself (but I wish I had a side-kick) and Saturday morning from 9-Noon.

I love the Saturday shift because no one is in the building to bother me. I'm free to do whatever I want. (small market radio, and everyone else gets weekends off)

Tell Jerry this DJ says congrats!

xanga.com/ladybug_3777 said...

Oh congrats to him!! How exciting!!!!!!!!

Allison said...

Congrats!!! How very exciting

Kristin said...

That is fantastic news!!!! I'm not familiar with radio at all but I know what a great honor and priviledge it is to get your own morning show. I would love to stream him live online if his station does that.

Pauline said...

Yay! That's fantastic. Beyond fantastic. I'm amazed anyone could keep this secret so long!
Congrats to Jerry. Can we listen online?

Lindsay said...

congrats to jerry!!

Tiffany said...

Whoo~hoooooo!!! Congratulations!

Randall said...

Horray! Congrats to Jerry on his new gig... I would listen to him if I wasn't on the other end of the country!

Sheryl said...

Congrats, Jerry! What a great opportunity. Of course, now you'll be asleep while he talks about you . . .

JazzSaxKitten said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!

:-D

Asra said...

congratulations! that must be so awesome.you should post up their first show together for us to listen :]

Kristin (xanga.com/GCgirl721) said...

Omg, congratulations! I could never keep a secret like that. (I know, I'm such a big mouth, lol)

"jubiljoystatic" Lmao...

-KrIsTiN-

Janice said...

Oh my gosh, thats amazing! Seriously, congrats!!

Leslie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

jsi said...

It always feel sbetter when you can release a secret. They do take your breath away when they have to remain inside, held, ugh.
What terrific news and your word - jublijoystatic - exceptional expression of your feelings right now.
When first married my husband and I had a schedule which was nearly oppositie, similar to what you describe. Not much sleep, and we needed to learn how to communicate better, always a benefit when you only see each other 2 hours a day, maybe.
Embrace and enjoy your new day, this new reality, this present and encouraging joy!

Ray said...

That's GREAT! I'm happy for him. What station is he playing on? I'd love to hear him.

Take care, Kelly.

*Marilynmonroe4u2nv from Xanga.*

Glenna said...

Congratulations! Holy sh** I'm married to a radio man too and that's bloody awesome!

Do they have any internet connection where we can listen to him and keep up with how he's doing?