Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Day Two

This morning was not better. Not at all.

In fact, it was worse because Toby was well-rested this time. After going to bed with Jerry at 7 p.m., he was raring to go at 3 a.m. It was party time. I have a feeling he would've been leading the kegger if he had opposable thumbs and could wield a tap.

Hoping to prevent Toby from using my face as a springboard to leap to the floor repeatedly as he tried to decide between hanging out with Jerry or curling up with me, I asked Jer to close the bedroom door, not giving him an option.

So when the back door slammed, alerting Toby to Jerry's departure, his little heart broke. His world crumbled. It was dark. He was wired. And his play buddy had just walked out.

I, on the other hand, was exhausted. After practically no sleep the night before and a really late night at work, I was dead on my feet. I had climbed into bed a mere 30 minutes before Jerry got up and wanted nothing more than to go back to the blissful dream I was having about getting a full night's rest.

But Toby was beside himself. You would've thought we had just broken all his limbs and placed his favorite flavor of pig ear just out of reach. Unable to stop himself from expressing his absolute displeasure, Toby hopped down on the floor, rolled on his back and howled.

I tried being the good cop first, sympathising with his confusion and anxiety. I can't imagine a life-changing experience without having any prior knowledge or time to process the information before getting thrown into it unexpectedly. So I called him up onto the bed in my "Hey! This is great!" voice.

But when Toby is upset, his hind legs seize up and refuse to work. It's as if his brain uses all of its neurological power to concentrate on his feelings and can't manifest any physical strength. So he ends up lethargically flinging his body against the side of the bed in a pathetic attempt of getting my attention. If he was a teenager, he would be the worst kind of emo. One who wears cheap eyeliner and picks at his chipping black nail polish, hoping the world simultaneously notices him and ignores him at the same time.

After what seemed like a 20 minute-long temper tantrum, bad cop officially took over.

"TOBY! THAT'S ENOUGH!"

And like a wounded soul who's bad luck just got immeasurably worse, his whines turned near silent -- just loud enough for me to hear them, but not loud enough for me to scold him.

Finally, I gave in. I turned on the light. Got up. Reached down and picked his pathetic ass up.

After settling back into bed, he curled up in his typical "don't leave me" stance: perched on my face.

But I didn't even care.

I just wanted to sleep. And if having fur up my nostrils was the only way to get it, so be it.

Here's to hoping tonight is better.

11 comments:

Hannah said...

My dog Laci who died last March used to curl up next to my head. :) I miss that dog. Thankfully, one of the three we have now does that although she sleeps in a warm cage at night in the din. But when I take naps she curls next to me. :)

Anonymous said...

was just wondering few hours back how did the second day went off for u.....hope things will turn better in couple of days!!!:-)
-sreenitha

ajandmac said...

S.L.E.E.P.: Supposedly Long Enough to Empower People

Pauline said...

Hahaha.... Oh man. I really hope it gets better soon. My Cockerspaniel does the exact same thing. He HOWLS at incredible pitches and for extended lengths if someone leaves the house. I wonder if it's a male thing? ;]

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

When I first brought my cat home, she didn't want to sleep alone.

So she climbed up into my bed, up onto my chest, and curled up on my face.

It took about a week and a half to break her of this habit.

And i'm a light sleeper. Every time she did it, i'd be wide awake. Pick her up, set her aside, and try to fall asleep. 5 seconds later, re-start the process.

Needless to say.... it was a long 10 days.

the lucky Plainsman said...

It WILL all sort itself out and just when you think you really can't take another bit, it will start working. About ten days for us human types. Toby? He will take his cues from both of you. Eventually.

The last fortune cookie I had gave this wierd advice: "Courage comes though suffering." If that fails to inspire you, the "Lucky Numbers" are 28, 36, 5, 10, 37 and 40. I get 10%!

Kristin said...

He is quite the drama queen :)

Elli said...

I really think it must be a male thing, my dog does the exact thing, he goes nuts whenever anyone leaves..even if someone else is still home.

Wendy said...

Someone please help me. What is a emo? I keep reading people using this, but I guess I am old, because I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

Emo is short for "emotional" and tends to stand for a brooding teenager who gets all worked up over everything.

Anonymous said...

HA! Your dog is hilarious! The way you wrote about him, it sounded like he was a real person. It's cute. Well I hope your sleeping is better by the time you read this.

Take care, Kelly.

*Marilynmonroe4u2nv from Xanga.*