Monday, February 12, 2007

It felt like a good idea at the time

Home design shows on a budget always rely heavily on spraypaint. Got a light fixture in gold that you want in sliver? Spraypaint. Need to update some lampshades? Spraypaint. Want to create a painting for above your couch? Spraypaint! Refinish some chairs? SPRAYpaint! Change the color of blinds? SPRAYPAINT!

But, in reality, it doesn't work like that.

I know because I tried to spraypaint the guest bedroom blinds from canary-guts yellow to white in hopes of saving a little cash on our room redo.

And the one accordion blind I was able to transform with the three cans of muted white I purchased, is now solidified in a permanent closed position. Sure, it looks great, but it's stiff and hard and unable to function. All for the low, low price of $9.

So now I have one working canary-guts yellow blind in that room. And another white blind that doesn't work and fades to yellow where I ran out of spraypaint at the bottom.

I'm not positive, but I think this is what you would call a home-improvement disaster.

So, as you're looking through the "after" pictures that I've now posted, try to ignore the crazy mismatched blinds.

Or I'll come to your house and spraypaint your eyelids closed.

Here are three of my favorite shots:

P1012555
I heart this bedding. I've always wanted to do a bold black
and red combo. And it's gender-neutral enough so that when
Jerry's guy friends need to crash, they won't feel creepy.

P1012564
I completely fell in love with that vase when I saw it.

P1012569
And if I was a teenager trying to teach
myself how to kiss, I would totally want
to practice on this pillow. It's that fabulous.

14 comments:

Janice said...

Wow, those photos are amazing. The guest room looks really great! I especially loved the photos of your bedroom. It looks like it was just out of a design special on HGTV!

Miriam said...

I love it! And I love the color scheme...it just so happens to be University of Georgia colors- red & black! Great job :-)

Tiffany said...

Looks great!!!

Pauline said...

I love the room. Especially the bedding, it's fabulous! I think the key with the blinds was to occasionally move them when they were drying. Maybe. Try it on blind number two.

Ray said...

It's a great room and you're such a great decorator. You should do it for a living if working at the Newspaper doesn't suit you anymore (which I doubt) but it's just a thought. And yes the room is gender neutral which is of utmost importance. LOL! ;o)

Take care, Kelly.

P.S. I wondered if you could write about your "Sorority Days", back in college. You know the first time you had to pledge and stuff and all the wild things you did. Now-a-days Sororities/Faternities are more about hazing and too much drinking etc, and etc. And I wanted to know if you had to go through anything like that which I doubt. If you could write about it I'd love to read it. Well it's just a thought.

ajandmac said...

way to just be bold.

Randall said...

Looks great! My bedroom is black and red and white too... I agree that it is good looking but still not too girly! Good job :o)

Kay said...

Hey..what happened to your blinds? They look mismatched.

Kidding..I wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't say anything. It looks great!

The "snowless" Plainsman said...

You are good at the design stuff; I start with a blank wall, and after I'm done, I'm likely to still have a BLANK WALL! Go red and black, but Toby is like most of us guys: he's interested in what's going on outside!

Ps. The "op-art" thing with the pillow is something else, fom your photo, it looks like it is plugged in with small lights in it.

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

That's a trippy pillow.
Like an optical illusion.

Stare at it long enough and you'll start seeing old dead rock stars.

Tina P. said...

So, i looked at the pictures, and even though you warned us all i just want to say- i laughed out loud when i saw the fading of white into yellow.
But i adoreeeeeeeeeeeee the bedding.

Rav/Xanga said...

That vase is a necessity. Ohhhh. I love the vase...

Some things like that just reach out & grab your heart, ya know?

And the picture of you next to yourself is great.

Kristin said...

I LOVE red and black. Mostly due to my love of UGA. The room looks great!

bananzattack said...

That is one fabulous pillow.