Monday, April 9, 2007

A few moments of quiet

I'm torn. Toby is still so exhausted from running around with our niece and nephews all day yesterday that he actually stayed in bed when I got up this morning -- an absolute first.

This chain of events frees me to write in peace, without a little dog jamming his face between the desk and my knees and pawing at my legs incessantly until I pick him up. It also frees me from having to type around a 13-pound body on my lap while it stretches to sniff at my orange juice glass, then gives up and circles and circles until it finds a spot to collapse and make my legs go numb. And it later frees me from having to play tug-of-war with my feet when he eventually brings over his stuffed rainbow trout and wants me to step on it while he tries to free it with his teeth. Over. and. over. again.

And all of this would be great if I didn't want to do a picture post today of some of the photos I took during our Easter celebration yesterday at my mother-in-law's house. Because, the thing is, my camera is downstairs. And if I even think about walking down the steps to get it, even entertain the thought for more than just a fleeting moment, Toby will spring to life.

Why? Because I might be going to the kitchen. And that is where the food is. Or, worse, I might be going to the door. To abandon him. Forever and ever. And ever.

So, here I sit, trying to take advantage of this rare Toby-free morning, and all I can think to post about is those Easter photos. And maybe how the new pastor at Jerry's church somehow worked in a story about demons and hell during her, um, interesting sermon about the rebirth of Christ.

Aw hell (and demons), I can't sit upstairs all day.

Let the crazy begin.

P1012675
This photo will forever make me laugh. Why? Because moments
earlier, Jerry had taken a photo with me. And he is so used to sliding
his hand down my back and grabbing my ass during posed photos
that he momentarily forgot he was standing next to his mother.


P1012677
Little Miss Emily got a rainbow butterfly outfit from
the Easter Bunny. And apparently butterflies need to
fly. Off the stairwell banister at grandma's house.


P1012681
This was where I personally witnessed the fastest chocolate gorging
of all time. Not even professional timed eaters could've beat these kids.


P1012686
Jer's mom made a bunny cake and I made "blondies," a take-off
of brownies only the chocolate is in the pastel M&Ms. Mmm.


P1012687_2
Ben discovered he could decorate his head with plastic eggs.
I nearly fell out of my chair laughing trying to take this picture.


P1012671
And here's Jerry in the most bargain shirt and tie I've ever purchased.
The tie was 40 percent off and I had a free $10 store grand-opening
coupon. The shirt was originally $52, but it was on clearance for
(drum roll please): $8! I know, I know. I amaze even myself sometimes.

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great pictures... soooo did you wake toby going to get the camera or not?

Love Emily's butterfly costume. How adorable!!

Julie said...

Love the pictures. Looks like you had a nice Easter. Did you go to Rochester? We were there.

Janice said...

I love the picture!! And the bargain outfit was amazing. I love great buys. :)

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

You have lots of fans with first names starting with J.

Mines Jared, by the way. :)

I spent my Easter at THE GRINDHOUSE!

It's amazing how vacant a theatre is on Easter Sunday, even for opening weekend movies. I must remember this.

Marina said...

Jerry looks like he has a plant growing out of his head in the last one. :D

Ray said...

THAT'S IT! Next Easter, I'm coming over to your house! ;o) I like the fact that with everything you do, especially holidays you make a big event out of it. I haven't celebrated Easter in a long time. Probably because I don't go to church anymore. Anywho, both those cakes look great. Mmmmmm, I wish you could send me a piece.

Also, I wonder how Jerry feels knowing that you told the world of his $8.00 shirt. Knowing his humor he's taking it in stride. HEHE!

Take care, Kelly.

P.S. The way you describe Toby he sounds like such a kid. Which is pretty much normal anyway's because he's just a baby still. But he's getting you ready Kelly for that baby whose beck & call you will be 24/7. Which of course is a blessing knowing how much you've wanted it.

Goodbye!

Ray said...

Also, Emily's dress: GORGEOUS! Such a beautiful little girl.

Chelsea said...

they're so cute!

Leslie said...

Toby looks so well-behaved in that last photo.

Emilee said...

Emily's dress is adorable!

Tina P. said...

I envy the way you shop. You seem to find the best deals that i can NEVER find. Everytime you post about this (even those times at the GAP) i burn with jealousy at your talent.

Aprilshowers4175 said...

OMG! I don't stop by since march 26th and suddenly you're with child???I feel like the kid that got left behind while everyone else got to go out for icecream!!! Well Congradulations!! Im so happy for you and Jerry.I've just spent the last hour reading all the posts i've missed. You can believe me when i say i won't be missing out on anything again. I cried when i read your post about the ultrasound. Once again....Im so happy for you two!((((HUGS))))

Amy said...

I love his shirt I may have to get
my own guy one like it.

Toby always looks suprised it's so cute :).

WENDY said...

IN THE LAST PICTURE OF JERRY, IT LOOKS LIKE THE TREE (OR PLANT, OR WHATEVER IS BEHIND HIM) IS SPROUTING FROM HIS HEAD! ALSO, I ABOUT DIED LAUGHING AT THE THOUGHT OF JERRY GRABBING HIS MOM'S BUM DURING THE TAKING OF THE PICTURE. I THINK I WOULD HAVE PEED MY PANTS HAD I BEEN THERE IN THE FLESH!

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing your niece and nephews are from Jerry's side of the family. When I saw that picture of Emily, I was struck by how much she looked like Jerry!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love reading your blogs and this is actually the first time I have commented. Don't worry, I am not a creepy person. :) Anyways, did you get the tie at Sears? I bought my boyfriend one at Sears and it was exactly the same deal. I bet it was. Anyways, keep up your amazing blog!