Sunday, April 15, 2007

Game show trivia

I woke up this morning remembering fleeting snippets of a dream where I was swimming with dolphins and hosting a crazy new rock star "guess the name" game show. I'm not exactly sure how the two were related, but maybe the winner got to play with marine creatures rather than win an obscene amount of money or something. Because dolphins are THAT cool.

Anyway, as Jerry went downstairs to take Toby outside, the cognisant me tried to remember details of the game. By the time the boys rejoined me in bed for our lazy Sunday morning ritual of waking up slowly, I had some questions prepared.

"Hey, so I just invented a game in my sleep," I said. "Wanna play it?"

"Do I really have a choice?"

"No."

"Then sure."

"Okay, so it goes like this: I say some words and you have to use the clues to guess the band name. ... Ready? 'A clam surprise is rocking out.' "

"WHAT?"

"Pearl Jam! ... Get it? A clam surprise? Rocking out?"

Then he proceeded to stare at me with a blank look that said, "Maybe if I pretended I was dead, she'd leave me alone."

"Don't worry. I have another one. ... 'Rock, pucker face.' "

"Huh?"

"Stone Sour!"

"Okay, yours suck. Let me do one. ... 'Seventy-two hours, prayer before dinner.' "

"Math Jesus."

"Math Jesus? MATH JESUS? What the hell kind of band name would THAT be? No, it's Three Days Grace."

"Oh. Right."

"Where'd you get 'math' out of seventy-two hours?"

"You know, every time I hear numbers, I immediately think of how much I hate math."

"Whatever. Wack job. Let me do another one: 'Betrayed Jesus, worships Jesus.' "

"Church face."

"No! Judas Priest."

"My turn: 'Flowers your mom got on Easter, the guy my friend Andrea's engaged to.' "

"Tulips something?"

"No! Those were lillys!"

"Oh. Lilly Alan."

"Yay! We got one!"

"My turn: 'Nickname for a bathroom, my hot dog's second name.' "

"Shitter wiener?"

"No! John Mayer. As in the Oscar Mayer wiener song ... 'has a second name it's M-E-Y-E-R.' "

"That's baloney."

"C'mon, you remember the song."

"I know! That's what I'm trying to say! The song's about baloney!"

Anyway, we got better as the game progressed. Here are some others we came up with:
  • Can't hear, cheetah: Def Leppard
  • Pastel red: Pink
  • Square root of 81, a type of measurement, things that grow on your hands and feet: Nine Inch Nails
  • Stumble loops: Slip Knot

Then I got a little obscure.

"Thing that drops on character's heads in cartoons, place where men pee in public."

"Anvil urinal?"

"Can't it be called a latrine, too?"

"Sure. So Anvil Latrine? What band is that?"

"AVRIL LAVINE!"

"Okay you officially suck. I'm not playing anymore."

16 comments:

ajandmac said...

hahahahahahahaha

that is so awesome! i think your dream wins best in category. what an invention.

i need to start writing down my dreams...

Tiffany said...

Wow... :-)

Pauline said...

Hahahaha! Wow. Just wow.

You should go national with this. 'Kelly's, You Think You Know Your Music?'

gora_kagaz said...

haha..that's awesome. reminds me of taboo with band names =]

Amy said...

I'd play that game!
I think you should actually
sell the idea.

Ray said...

How funny! What a funny way to wake up and start the day. That's it you and Jerry officially rock! That baby is already blessed to have two great people to nurture and take care of it. You'll be great parents, so don't worry to much about it.

Take care, Kelly.

Ray said...

Urgh, I meant "too." Blah!

the rain-soaked plainsman said...

Q: Muddy water belief, not.

Another LOL post, Kelly! You and Jerry should do a one hour AM breakfast show together on the radio!

A: Creedence Clearwater!?!

And tell Aunt Glrr I did not doubt for a minute that her gloves caught on fire, just that it reminded me of your recent taco shell sacrifice!

Janice said...

Anvil Latrine!! Haha!! That's wonderful!

Corbow said...

And to think, I thought Hot Rod Man's alphabet game was silly!

Anonymous said...

I got one!!

"Alley, male children"


Ready?!









BACKSTREET BOYS!!
I'm good.
=]

Ruth said...

Hey! I noticed that you were pregnant :) Congratulations!

Anyway, I'm a fifteen-year-old student who reads Reader's Digest like a maniac, and I read in one of their articles that eating fish can give a higher chance of your baby having a high IQ (I don't think my mom ate fish, but going on...)!

Anyway, here's a link if you're interested and also so you don't think I'm trying to sabotage your child, because that would be horrible...

http://www.rd.com/content/alltimebest-brain-boosters/

I wish you the best!

Anonymous said...

I got another one!!

"Tool that lifts a car, nickname for a penis."



Ready?




Jack Johnson!!
Haha.

We should team up.

Anonymous said...

One more.


"Steal, The Tank Engine"



Ready?





Rob Thomas!!
Ha.

Kristin said...

That's hysterical! My friend and her husband play obscure games she comes up with randomly as well. I'm alsoways doubled over with laughter when she retells the stories.

yvonne said...

you killed me with anvil latrine :)