Tuesday, April 24, 2007

On quarantine

Jerry got sick a few days ago and I'm absolutely terrified of getting it. Although his symptoms are mild -- sore throat, cough, just feeling lousy -- I don't want any virus attacking our fetus.

So he's been extra careful about covering his mouth and cleaning up after himself while I've been disinfecting every surface with germ-killing wipes and washing my hands every 30 seconds.

We're also trying to avoid general germ-transferring physical contact, which I've discovered is very difficult for us. We're usually very free with our affection be it hugs, high fives or even just holding hands while sitting on the couch watching TV.

The hardest part has been sleeping in separate rooms. Even though we don't go to bed at the same time, I always enjoy crawling next to him after work and whispering "good night." Sometimes he stirs enough to have a brief conversation, other times not, but it's just comforting being beside him.

The change in our nightly ritual has confused Toby to no end. He's not sure who to crawl into bed with, so we usually leave the doors open and let him decide as the mood strikes. Sometimes he comes and goes between beds two or three times a night, which, to me, says every time he wakes up, he checks to see how the other person is doing. And I love having such a loving dog.

Our tactics might seem extreme, but so far, so good. I don't want to jinx myself, but I can't ever remember a time when one of us was sick that the other one didn't get it shortly thereafter. This time, however, it's been at least four or five days and I'm feeling fine and Jerry is showing signs of being on the mend.

I'll probably give it another two days just to be sure, then he can clean the sheets and disinfect the bedroom.

But the thing I'm most looking forward to is one of his bear hugs.

17 comments:

Leslie said...

Aww, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't cuddle. Steve is on the verge of being sick and I can't keep away like that so I just keep downing vitamins, drinking lots of water and juice and eating well. I just know last year at this time I became very sick and we're leaving for Florida in two days so I'm doing all that I can (well, maybe not since I still cuddle with Steve) to not get sick.

Jennifer said...

Getting sick while pregnant SUCKS so much because there isn't much, aside from tylenol, that you can take. And, if you are like me, even taking that makes you feel bad because you worry about hurting the baby (although its deemed perfectly safe)

I do have to tell you this though, recently our baby caught what we thought was a bad cold. A couple of weeks later, 3 doctor visits, and a 2 day stay in the ER, we found out she has whooping cough. (She's only 4 months old) Terrifying experience (my daughter actually stopped breathing and turned blue a few times). BUT... the point of me telling you this is that they now have a new vaccine for adults. Its a booster to protect against pertussis and I WISH someone had told me about it before/when i got pregnant. I would have INSISTED my husband get the booster. Don't know if you can get it while preggo (probably not) BUT, you can at least protect hubby from bringing it into the family. Apparently its making a comeback. We live in NY and I know you guys aren't too far away in PA.

We still aren't 100% sure how she caught it, but I wish I had known about the vaccine and my family had been updated with their boosters. Just a thought for you to talk to your doctor about it and perhaps think about getting Jerry the shot. I've been spreading the word to everyone with young children because I hope NO ONE has to experience what we've been going through.

Jennifer said...

BTW, hope Jerry feels 100% better very soon and you stay uninfected!

Christine said...

I don't mean to scare you, but what if Toby is carrying Jerry's cold germs to you? I am a germ-a-phobe and I think of silly things like that! I hope Jerry's is feeling better and hope you are doing OK!

the (I can't think of any extra name today) Plainsman said...

Taking reasonable precautions is wise, and hey, the seperation will make the reunion all the more fun! For both of you. These times and when babies are newborns are difficult, too, as they need time adjust to thier new lives and environments. I don't believe that cold germs can be transmitted from humans to canines to humans though, but no kissing for any of you three!

the plainsman said...

I wondered how many words I could squeeze in the name space up there!

Kristin said...

Sounds like you've devised a pretty good plan. Here's hoping you stay well.

Anonymous said...

Get some face masks like doctors wear.
=]

Marina said...

Damn. You guys are intense! Good job resisting temptation.

Janice said...

That's so horrible! I don't know what I'd do having to sleep in separate rooms. That would be dreadful. I hope he gets better soon so you guys can go back to not confusing Toby!! :)

Anonymous said...

ive heard that your immune system is actually BETTER when your pregnant, and i wonder if the extreme precautions are necessary? drink some oj, take your prenatals, and PLEASE dont become one of those germ-freak moms of today. Kids need to play in dirt, thats how you BUILD an immune system. boo for new vaccines!

jessica fineran said...

We ended up having to sleep apart while I was on bedrest and was only comfortable on the couch. Hopefully this will be your only sleep separation this pregnancy, although I think a lot of 3rd trimester mammas have to sleep on the couch for comfort. As for Toby carring Jerry's germs, I'm relatively sure animals don't pass common cold germs to humans and vice versa.

Chelsea said...

Purell will be the fetus' new best friend! Stay healthy!

Ray said...

Bear hugs, and don't forget the kisses. ;o)

And speaking of sleeping in seperate beds, I saw this crazy article about couples sleeping in seperate beds. Not as Jerry & you have because he's sick but, EVERY NIGHT! And in the year 2010 it is predictated that 60% of couples WILL be sleeping SEPERATELY! To me it's just ridiculous! Check it out here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/11/us/11separate.html?ex=1177560000&en=e4c60c7749581f92&ei=5070
(If you can't get in, make a username. It'll only take about a minute or two).

Take care, Kelly.

Ray said...

*I meant in the year 2015. Hehe.*

sarahcarroll22 said...

I hope he gets well soon and you don't get sick!

Rachel said...

My husband was also banished from the bedroom last night as he hacked up snot... I'm 17 weeks into my pregnancy and don't want to pick up anything, especially now that the sun is shining in Pittsburgh. A spring cold would be awful! A body pillow has been fantastic to sleep comfortably during pregnancy, and is great for cuddling while my husband is banished...