Thursday, May 10, 2007

Is it Friday yet?

It seems like I've been waiting for tomorrow to arrive for ages. Not only have I worked another grueling eight-day stretch in a row and am approaching a blissful four-day off stretch starting Friday, but I will have the next three of those days to spend with two of my closest girl friends who are visiting the area for the weekend.

Timberly is returning home from Nebraska for her bridal shower and Gisela is taking the train in from Philadelphia to attend and, more importantly, test out our newly renovated guest room. Of all the people who will ever stay in it, she will appreciate the decor and how absolutely bold it is for my traditionally muted-tones taste.

I'm not looking forward to anything in particular, just having them around is enough. When I stopped to think about how long it's been since I've seen them, it literally blew my mind how much my life has changed in four years. When I first moved to Pennsylvania, I didn't know anyone. I met Timberly and Gisela shortly thereafter and we instantly clicked. It didn't hurt that we were all practically neighbors, so we started hanging out regularly. Having them walk into my apartment without knocking used to be a regular occurrence.

I miss that.

And even though we've managed to keep in touch over the phone and all the other ways that having a computer and an Internet connection bring, it's not the same as just flopping down on the couch and catching up.

Tomorrow -- before dinner plans, before pre-wedding celebrations, before other people join us -- I'll have both of them hanging out in my living room again. Just the three of us.

And that makes my heart feel full.

11 comments:

rachel elizabeth said...

aren't girlfriends the best? i miss the days i used to have before life started to get in the way. enjoy yourself and the girls this weekend!!! <3

Timberly said...

You're making me cry already.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you. I love old friends with whom you can pick up right where you left off. There's nothing like knowing someone for a long time to make your connection strong.

Leslie said...

One of my closest girlfriends is moving to another state next week. It's still near enough to drive (about 7 hours), thankfully. I'm going to miss her a lot and I know I can talk to her on the internet pretty much any time, but I won't be having lunch with her a few days each week anymore.

Chelsea said...

Its so hard to have great relationships with friends who live so far away, but if your relationship survives then you know it was meant to be. My two best friends live in NY and GA while I live in MA.

Have Fun!!

ajandmac said...

a full heart feels so right.

Ray said...

Awwww, I hope you have a GREAT time with them, which I know you WILL! Speaking of Friday where is it already?! I too can't wait for Friday because that means when I wake up Saturday morning I'll have my mother & sister around. And that means I won't be lonely throughout the afternoon which is always great.

Anyway---Take care, Kelly.

aahcoffee said...

yeah for friends!!!

Marina said...

Hmm, full heart is a medical condition you know. You should go get that checked out. ;)

Tiffany said...

Have a great time with them!!!

Sheryl said...

Awwwwwww . . . have a marvelous time!