Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

There is so much to write about today and so little time. Why you ask? Because my mom is driving down for a quick two-day visit and she should be here any minute. We're going to check out baby furniture and circus tents -- you know, maternity clothing -- because I'm already bloating out of my pants. It makes me wish I had taken a picture of my waist three months ago. I suppose I should take a picture now before it's completely unrecognizable.

So instead of a full-blown update on any one thing, here are a few little tidbits that I hope to remember to expound on a bit in a few days:

  • My being angry at inconsiderate people is NOT due to pregnancy hormones. Just like it's not related to the weather, the status of my car's gas tank or the color yellow.
  • The party really was great despite two no-shows. The desserts came out uber amazing and, on the bright side, we have leftovers. I have a few pictures to share.
  • I heart Country Time lemonade mix these days, but it's really hard to get the perfect ratio of lemony powder to water. Okay maybe this won't be a complete post, just felt the need to share.
  • I am so super excited about the month of May. Not only is my mom visiting, but I get to hang out with two of my best girls: Timberly, who is visiting from Nebraska for her bridal shower in a few weeks, and Gisela who was invited to the shower and will travel from Philly to spend the weekend at my house. I am WAY overdue for one of that girl's pick-me-up-off-the-ground bear hugs. I haven't seen her since my wedding.
  • Last but certainly not least: I, Kelly, hereby vow to relax a little (just a little) about this pregnancy. I have made it to the 12-week mark and the second trimester is just days away. And yesterday at our latest prenatal appointment, Jerry and I heard our baby's heartbeat for the very first time. And I can tell you that it is indescribably amazing.

20 comments:

meghan said...

wow, that's amazing.

Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/erinn37...

Congrats on making it to 12 weeks. I bet it blew you away to hear that heartbeat.

Rachel said...

Hearing the heartbeat for the first time is so amazing! I have my ultrasound next week (20 weeks), but I never get tired of hearing the heartbeat. I think I enjoy that more than I will enjoy seeing a grainy image of our baby on the ultrasound machine :) It's the sound of the new life growing in there :) Time to relax and enjoy the second trimester!

julie said...

Yay for mom coming to visit!! Yay for friends coming this month!! Yay for May in general!! And an extra loud YAY for twelve weeks plus!!!!!

(Btw, I agree with the anger at inconsiderate people having nothing to do with pregnancy. I'm gonna have to say you'd have been just as pissed if that had happened while you weren't pregnant. In fact, I was a little annoyed on your behalf when someone attributed your anger to hormones. But I'm codependent like that.)

Naomi said...

Glad things are looking up. I agree that your anger over the missing guests was justified, pregnancy hormones or no. When I sold skin care and cosmetics at home parties during college, I got so ticked at no-shows--it wasted my time and the hostess's time. And while china and cloth napkins hadn't been laid out, it was supposed to pay our rent. (Clearly, that business wasn't for me.)

Cheers on reaching the twelve week mark! Happy clothes shopping. :)

Abby said...

On my morning commute, I've been tuning into the Troy and Jerry morning show (HILARIOUS!), but, I'm also a huge fan of your column! I feel incredibly slow that it took me this long to put the two together! haha. I now fully comprehend that you're married to Jerry Valeri (funny how it never clicked when he refered to his wife Kelly!). My husband and I live in Tyrone and are trying for our first, so, naturally, I'm attracted to baby stories. Best of luck with your pregnancy, I'm excited to hear about your progress :) Thanks for sharing, your wit and honesty is so entertaining!

Kristin said...

Can't wait to see the shower pictures. And to hear all the stories after your girlfriends come for a visit. That will be super fun.

I can't even imagine what it's like to hear your baby's heartbeat for the first time. Wow.

aahcoffee said...

Did your dr give you a recording of the heartbeat? If not, you should ask them to do one. We had one and I would press that little button and listen to it over and over and over again.

Jennifer said...

I certainly didn't mean to insult you by saying I thought I could see your pregnancy hormones shining through on your last post. I apologize if I did. I just noticed you seemed angerier than your normal self at the situation. Having gone through the lovely (and not so lovely) aspects of pregnancy I know how it can make a bad situation seem even worse sometimes.

Anyway, Congrats on making it to the 12 week mark, I know it is a step towards feeling a little more secure. Enjoy your visit w/your mom

Joe said...

Man, you sure do host a lot of parties! I truly think that youre stressing yourself out too much. I think you should just take a week to yourself... Just to relax... I think you deserve it and owe it to yourself... If not, to the baby!
~Joe

Chelsea said...

You should record the heartbeat. I'm sure Toby would like it too (dogs love hearing heart beats, reminds them of the their mom).

Tracibobaci said...

I'm with everyone else on the pregnancy hormone/anger issue. It always seems harder for women to get upset...people either wonder if it's "that time of the month" or, when you're pregnant, chalk it up to hormones. Errrrr.

That's really great that you guys heard the heartbeat so early! They couldn't find my baby's at 13 weeks and I just about had a heart attack. (Turns out it was laying on it's belly--AWWW--and that was making it hard to detect.)

12 weeks is a huge deal! Congratulations.

fiona said...

Oh honey!! I rented a doppler and listen to my little one EVERY night before bed and it never gets old!! The first time I heard it was at exactly 13 weeks and it was a-friggin'-mazing!!!
And I wish everyone would get on the same page about the length of trimesters. The second trimester begins at 12, 13 or 14 weeks, depending on what site you get your info from.
Anyway, congrats on the 12 week mark, but I hate to break it to you: you'll worry the ENTIRE time!!!
Now our next milestone will be feeling the little ones move. I can't wait!!!!

fiona said...

If you want to know what sites to rent one from, just drop me a note and I'll let you know!!

Tiffany said...

Soo amazing :-)

Have a great time w/ your mom!!

Janice said...

I could only imagine what that heartbeat could have sounded like. That's amazing.

Wendy said...

We both have good May's. I am going home for a week to see family and friends...and I can't hardly wait. And, I am glad you have vowed to try to relax a little. Now...I am going to hold you to that.

Emmy said...

I'm very, VERY glad that things are going great for the little one (god knows you deserve him or her as well as always being happy) and that life feels uber-rosy for you right now! <3

I'm hoping things continue on the way that they are and that your joys come in spades. Which I'm sure they will! :thumbsup:

So keep on smiling and glowing, sunshine! You inspire us all to do the same! ;-) :-D

Megan said...

Hi Kelly,
I've been reading your blog for awhile now, but never gotten around to commenting. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog & congratulations on your pregnancy. Thank you for sharing such private emotions with us. I know you & Jerry will be great parents.

Ray said...

CONGRATS, on seeing your baby's heartbeat---I knew you would! ;o)And I hope you have fun with your mom while she's staying with you.

Take care, Kelly.