Sunday, June 3, 2007

Because you've always wanted to know what brand of soap I use

A batrillion years ago, I was asked by Mrs. Cameorole to list seven random things about myself. I'm not sure why, but I have a hard time fulfilling these types of requests. I guess it's because the organizer in me feels that all of the items should be related somehow. Or at least follow some sort of a pattern. Or have a reason for their numeric designation in increasing or decreasing importance. Then again, on days like these where nothing of even minor substance begs to be written down, I guess I can dig into my gray matter and air out a few tidbits.

  1. I am very particular about all of the products I buy. I am what most consumer researchers would call a "habitual shopper." If I find something I like, I am apt to stick to it for decades. Toothpaste? Crest original. Orange juice? Tropicana, no pulp. Bar soap? Dove. It practically takes an intervention to get me to switch. But every once in awhile, I end up experiencing something different while visiting someone else's house and it throws my whole system for a loop. Often I can remember who unknowingly prompted me to break my routine and commit to another brand. It's that monumental. The Dove bar soap, for example? I used to be a Softsoap girl until a friend of a friend crashed at my apartment during the summer of 2000. Thanks to her sensitive skin, mine is now uber soft and hydrated. And it would take something cataclysmic like the end of the Dove company to force me to stop buying it (in bulk packs of 12).
  2. I always wear my seat belt and I give full credit to Jerry for it. Not only because he led by example, but also because he made me want to stick around. When we met, I immediately knew he was someone I wanted to have a lot of years with. Now I can't even start my car without buckling up.
  3. One of the hardest parts about working an irregular night shift is the inability to commit to any extracurricular activities. In high school and college, I was involved in as many groups as I could cram into my overly packed schedule. Often, many of the responsibilities would overlap, but I found a way to juggle all of it. Now I find myself wishing I could even set aside one night a week to join a choir or for Jer and I to start a stupid bowling league with friends or even just enroll in an art class. I desperately miss that sort of outside stimulation of creativity and camaraderie.
  4. Even after more than a year of having Toby in our lives, the novelty of owning a dog has not waned. Jerry and I are still so thrilled at the random chain of events that led us to Toby because he brings so much joy and happiness to our lives. And even though there are moments that I could rip his tiny vocal cords out of his throat or shove his claws one by one back up into his paws because they're digging at my flesh, they are more than outweighed by the times my heart swells with contentment when he instantly configures his body to fit into a notch on mine, takes a big breath and lets out an old man sigh.
  5. Even though I like feeling ultra feminine on occasion by putting on a gorgeous dress with killer accessories, having nice hair and smelling pretty, I love doing traditional "guy things." If I wasn't pregnant, I would be outside right now wielding a power sander on our front porch, not giving a crap about the green dust it was kicking up all over my clothes and skin. I take pride in the fact that I can put on my own spare tire, know the name and have used every tool in this house and can even install a light fixture.
  6. We desperately need a new desk chair. Although this hand-me-down hasn't lost its comfort, it squeaks uncontrollably every time I even think about moving anything more significant than my fingers on the keyboard. And when the person using it decides to get up, it groans and pops for a good 10 minutes. Frankly, it sounds a lot like the chain of events during the movie "Titanic" leading up to the moment the ship sinks. Sometimes I wonder if the sound editors had an old desk chair, too.
  7. I really want a frozen waffle with strawberry jelly right now. And, sadly, we don't have either of the two ingredients in the house at the moment. Instead of getting off my ass, throwing on a bra and making a quick run to the store, I'll probably settle for stale 12-grain toast and margarine. My strong love of immobility on a Sunday morning will always outweigh my taste buds. Always.

And rather than peg seven people to follow suit, I'll do what I always do and invite anyone to join in who feels like it. Just be sure to leave me a comment and let me know so I can check it out.

8 comments:

The Plainsman said...

Oh Man! Too much thought involved in this one so early Sunday AM. Besides, someone has to go out and get the papers, rolls and stuff and looks like it is...(drum roll please)...Me!

Have always have done the seatbelt thing, like anyone who grew up watching car racing or rode shotgun with a buddy who had a tiny MG sports car. It paid off a few years ago when it saved me from any injury or worse when someone dropped a car across my lane at over 60 mph.

Being that the other people had already scrambled out of thier car before we hit, nobody got hurt! Almost fun, except my totalled car was only 8 months old...

Ashley said...

Hi, I did the 7 random facts as well:)

Chelsea said...

I am the same with your first one! I'm gonna try this list soon!

Ray said...

I wish I knew how to put on a spare tire, or know every name of every tool/screwdriver. One day. One day. ;o)

Take care, Kelly.

erica said...

Yeah I did the seatbelt thing even before it was a law here in ohio. My mother is a nurse and was always paranoid about any sort of safety thing.

And as far as doing guy things... yeah. I enjoy that too. I'm really competitive, so I absolutely love when I know more about a "guy thing" than a boyfriend or even a guy friend.

Nice facts! The last one sounded pretty tasty!

Amy said...

Having a dog will never get old. Mine is 12 and even though we've seen it all a million times, you can't help but act like everything is done for the first time when it's just so incredibly cute.

And as a side note, thank you for the kind words on my previous post. It is a rough time right now, but I have a feeling it'll all get better. I'm at a point right now where I would like to just pretend it never happened and call it an "extended vacation" which is what I've been doing and it's working quite well. We'll see how long I can keep this little charade up.

tonya said...

High five on the spare tire! I can do it too. And yes, I am extremely proud of myself. I did the 7 things as well.

Take care of yourself and that baby :)

Marina said...

Dove is the shit. <3