Saturday, June 30, 2007

Belly dance

I was beginning to think that Jerry would never feel this baby move or kick. I had been placing his hand over my belly at night when the major action happens, occasionally blurting out: "Did you feel that?" ... "Or that?" ... "You HAD to feel THAT!" But he never did.

Mostly he just felt me tighten my abdominal muscles when I became overly excited and talkative.

I thought I was going crazy, but the kicks felt clear to me. I often put my hands on my bulging belly when I lay down, then I wait for the action to start. It's amazing when my fingers are in the right place to detect the movement inside and out simultaneously. I desperately wanted Jerry to feel it, too.

Rather than push the subject by forcing him to keep his hand on my midsection until the circulation in his arm failed and the whole limb had to be amputated because I'm a nut bag, I just relaxed and figured it would happen when the baby's a little stronger.

But yesterday, while I was talking on the phone with my mom about my nursery decor neurosis, the baby gave a swift kick and startled one very confused Toby who had been resting otherwise contently on my lap. I, of course, laughed so hard that Toby nearly fell to the ground, but it was reassuring to know that someone else had finally felt this child move.

When Jer got home from work, I explained that the dog had beat him to detecting the first kick.

Later that night as we laid down to sleep and the baby started stirring (or what I like to refer to as my belly dance), I placed Jerry's hand where I had been feeling movement. Sure enough, after one particularly strong thump, Jer perked up and said, "I FELT THAT!"

It felt really good.

16 comments:

julie said...

I burst out laughing imaging Toby feeling that kick!! That was awesome. Glad Jer finally felt it too.

Wdndy said...

Poor Toby! I imagine that he can't possibly imagine what's going on. I remember when a friend was pregnant and when Nathan (the baby) would kick, you could see the outline of the appendage and tell if it was a foot or hand doing the movement.

Chelsea said...

Aww I can imagine Toby jumping off! Thats so cute!

Ray said...

Toby must have been going CRAZY wondering in his doggy mind what the heck was that, that had kicked him! But I'm glad that Jerry finally felt the baby kick. And that's such a cute name for it "Belly Dancing." I never thought of it that way...

Take care, Kelly.

the plainsman said...

Kelly...overly excited and talkative? Nah! This is the kind of life affirming stuff that it is normal to be "overly" excited about!

Toby's first introduction is so funny. It will be a seemingly long while until they can play and grow together, but I think those two will be very close, reflecting the love flowing in that house of yours and Jerry's.

Happy weekend to all.

Tiffany said...

Awww :-) I love feeling my niece-to-be kick, it's so amazing.

Janice said...

That's wonderful! I could only imagine what was going through Toby's mind!! haha!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly, I always wonder how you are doing. Sounds like you are doing great! congrats on the baby girl news! It all just seems so fun. I can't wait to experience it for myself.

take care,
Sarah aka cafechick80

frank the tank said...

do you still get any weird cravings?

Tina P. said...

omg i would have LOVED to see Toby feeling it! It sounds pretty hilarious. As for your last entry, i was surprised to see there were.... problems. Of course, there are many.... people... that can take a topic/debate of baby furniture to.... lesbians. Yup, perfectly normal, happens all the time in my family as i'm sure in yours. Anyway, through and through, whatever choice you make, you'll see, that it is infact the best one. So don't worry. However, if it counts at all - i loveeeee the polka dots. Its adorable.

kristin said...

I would have loved to see the video on Toby getting kicked by the baby :)

Candi said...

Yay! So exciting!

Anonymous said...

kelly, i need an update!!

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is okay.. it's not like you to not update!

Jennifer said...

My husband was the MOST paitent man in the world when it came to feeling the baby kick. And it really was SO amazing to have him feel it the first time... of course, the more pregnant I got he felt it more than he wanted. One night while we were spooning, me holding him, big belly against his back he rolled over annoyed and said;
"I can't freaking sleep! The baby keeps kicking me in the back!!"

I looked at him like he was nuts and said "UM HELLOOOO its kicking MY internal organs! How do you think I feel?!"

haha! Good memories. Thanks for reminding me of that. ((hugs)) I'm glad Jer finally felt her kicks!

Wendy said...

Is everything okay?