Friday, June 8, 2007

I might just have an actual bowl of oatmeal to celebrate

Well, painting our porches was a little bit more complicated of an undertaking than I had anticipated, but the end result was well worth the extra effort. It was even worth all of the little bloody pricker scratches I have running down the entire length of the back of my legs and the pancake-sized bruise on the front of my left thigh that I received while trying to gingerly step over some unknown flower bush and, in the process, rammed my leg into the blunt corner of the front porch.

But don't worry. The flowers are fine.

(Yeah, I re-examined my priorities after that. My leg feels like raw ground beef.)

At the time, I was also holding a wet brush and an open can of paint when I injured myself, but amazingly, I was cognisant enough not to spill a drop or muscle spasm into the white porch railings. Forget my flesh, that will heal. Paint on brick is forever. So I consider that a success.

In fact, we hardly dripped at all. After spending two full days up close and personal with every wood plank surrounding our house, it's amazing I didn't know what other colors of paint we'd find underneath the green. Whoever applied the green and the gray were damn sloppy. There are drips and splotches and sometimes entire brush strokes on the surrounding brick. I'm pretty sure they tried to use a horsehair brush. While it was still attached to the horse.

We still have almost an entire can of paint left, so we plan to do a third coat on the high-traffic areas in a few days. I'd be out there right now, but the forecast predicts rain, so it can wait.

Besides, not only do I need the break, but a bird christened my handiwork sometime overnight, and I'm hoping the rain will wash off the big glop of white crap.

Nothing says "job well done" like a steaming smear of bird juice.

P1012895
First, we scraped off all the chipping paint.


P1012897
Next, Jerry rough sanded, then light sanded.


P1012901
This is what it looked like after. Lovely.


P1011981
This is the only "before" picture I have of the back.
We actually took this the day our real estate agent
gave us our first walk-through of the house last year.


P1012906
After. Warm oatmeal. I absolutely love it.
(Note the proximity of the rose bush to the porch.)


P1012898
Before. I crack up seeing Toby's little head popped up in the doorway.


P1012905
After. Again, love. ... Love. Love. Love it.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you not love Eddie Bauer?
It looks great!
Mom

Suzy said...

ooh! warm oatmeal...warm fuzzies...I love it!

this old house owner said...

I actually couldn't visualize how "oatmeal" would look, but it goes great with the brick. And the lighter color on the back porch side panels makes the whole house look larger and inviting. I'm sure "inspector" Toby can't wait to sign his approval, with muddy pawprints!

this old house owner said...

Agh! forgot the http thing.

Kristin said...

It looks great!!! A job very well done :)

Jess said...

It looks lovely - good work!

julie said...

Very nice! I love it.

Janice said...

Wow the difference is amazing. I love the color!

Teme said...

It's beautiful!

aahcoffee said...

Much better!

Anonymous said...

Sooo Pretty!!! So light and cozy all at once!

tossedrice said...

it's lovely.

Pauline said...

Oooh, that looks nice! I want to put Warm Oatmeal everywhere now. And you did all that work preggers? Amazing.

Rachel said...

wow! It looks great! But shouldn't you be pregnant and too exhausted to do this type of thing? I can barely bring myself to shower every day...

Tiger Babble said...

Oh I love the oatmeal color!! Much MUCH better than that green. The lighter color makes the house look more modern I think.

Love it!

Random Neural Firings said...

The new color does seem to be an improvement.

Leslie said...

It looks so nice! I really like it.

Also, I found this blog by a journalist in San Diego. I reposted it (crediting him of course) on my Xanga. I think you'll like it. It's called "Five things you should know before dating a journalist."

Heidi said...

It looks amazing! You guys are making that house into a beautiful home.

Marina said...

Damn. It's amazing how much better you've made that place look. You are GOOD. <3

Wendy said...

It looks great. It's amazing how a new color can make something look so completely different. It really makes the white rails "pop."

Chelsea said...

It looks so good! And more like a home, then a house.

Do all newspapers always have pizza? Hahaha I've been to like 3 diff. newspapers and the one food I always see is pizza, and next week we have a school paper party, and guess what the main food is? Pizza!

Anonymous said...

*Than, opps!

Maria said...

I can't believe what a difference it made in the back!

oneka said...

I noticed Toby was supervising Jerry's sanding job in the second pic. Of course he had to help, right. :)

But yeah, the new color is perfect for your house. Well chosen!

adifferentkindofbeautiful said...

Lovely

Anonymous said...

that color makes me love oatmeal.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice!

The pic with Toby is hilarious. He looks like a jack-in-the-box!

Emilee said...

The porch looks fantastic! You should be proud. And I love the picture of Jerry sanding with Toby looking on! =]

natalie said...

hey kelly!
love the porch! absolutely perfect!
i forgot what the front of your house looked like (i looked on flickr and couldn't find it on there). is that a pyramidal roof? do you have an american foursquare??! (i'm getting my mhp in historic preservation, b.t.w.) when was it built? i'm guessing between 1895-1905. just curious. :-)
natalie

Candi said...

So great. It looks fabulous!

Ray said...

WOW! You and Jerry rock! And I just want to say what a BEAUTIFUL job the two of you have done with the house. It absolutely rocks my socks, hehe. The baby will be proud. ;o)

It's awesome how just TWO people can make a house look that gorgeous within only one year. It's great when other people need interior decorators and such, and have people fix the house for them instead. But no you and Jerry fixed that house with love, and that's the best kind of team work (<< corny, but I think you can catch my drift).

I hope to be able to do that one day, with my own house. Congrats once again on your lovely home and the baby on the way.

Take care, Kelly.

P.S. And yes that picture with Toby poking his head of out of the door is too cute.

Heidi said...

You are so creative! Can you decorate my house when I get one? I love your taste!

Tiffany said...

It looks great, I love it!!

Randall said...

Looks fabulous... you should be so proud of your hard work!