Monday, June 11, 2007

Novelle in shorts

It's another one of those "random tidbits" days:
  • Jerry and I sat down and poured over our calendar yesterday, marking off all of the dates we have to remember this summer and plans we've committed to that hadn't yet made it into an ink reminder. The rest of this month is nothing short of chaotic. We have two weddings, one rehearsal dinner, six birthdays, Father's Day, my dress-alteration appointment, eye appointments, hair appointments and the long-awaited ultrasound. To get me through this week alone, I made a list of all the things I have to accomplish each day. Kind of like a weekly pill case so I don't forget anything. Even the most minute details went on there like "deposit paycheck." Because I'm afraid if I don't have something to help guide me through, I'll end up showing up to my hairdresser's instead of the church. And I'm pretty sure a no-show bridesmaid would be crucified for that type of mistake.
  • It is no longer a question whether the movements I'm feeling is the baby or not. In fact, the thumps are now well-pronounced and constantly growing in strength and frequency. At our last appointment, my doctor explained that it isn't unusual not to feel the baby for days or even weeks at a time in the fifth month. It was mostly a reminder not to worry if the baby doesn't make itself known regularly at this point. Not ours. Not this baby. Jerry and I either combined to make one extremely hyperactive child or it's definitely a girl and she's already training to become a Rockette. I feel flips and stretches and all sorts of kicks at least twice or three times a day. The strongest ones feel like someone is softly flicking me with their finger from the inside. It's awesome.

15 comments:

Lovechild420 said...

Oh my word! The analogy "I feel like someone is flicking me w/ a finger from the inside" is exactly what I told people when I started feeling my son kicking. Everyone looked at me like that was the craziest thing I could have come up with, but you thought it, too! LoL :o)

Anonymous said...

explain "novelle in shorts"
please.
pretty please!

Kristin said...

My friend said her baby (at about 10 weeks) flaps it's arms like a crazy chicken constantly in the ultra sounds but she can't feel a thing. Such a weird phenomenon. . .

Maria said...

That is so amazing!

Emilee said...

Congratulations! That's so awesome!

petra said...

It often amazes me how other people are so busy with their lives. There really aren't that many pre-booked events in my calendar. I think the biggest things are Metallica's concert on July 15 and my friend's wedding in September. Otherwise I pretty much go with the flow.

By the way, a short story in Finnish is "novelli". I just thought, you might wanna know.

Emily said...

If your baby is anything like mine, that activity won't be letting up anytime soon. :) I feel her CONSTANTLY! It's fantastic. I've been told it eventually gets old (when their kicks wake you up in the middle of the night, for instance) but I'm no less excited about it now than I was at the very beginning. It's AMAZING.

Can't wait to hear the announcement on whether baby novelle is a boy or girl!

Candi said...

So excited to find out - boy or girl!

Chelsea said...

I can't wait to hear the resultss! I bet you never get tired of feeling your baby move around!

Kristin said...

Aww...I so cannot wait until this baby is born, lol.
No...you know what I can't wait for?
I can't wait for the blog that you post in November about the day you give birth :P

-KrIsTiN-

Janice said...

I couldn't imagine what that would feel like... it's so strange to think about. I feel the same way about the calender--I need something to guide me because every day is just so crazy!

julie said...

i never actually got "novelle in shorts", before now.
i always thought it meant you literally wearing shorts? or something.
but now i get that it means...your entry in short parts. not a constant entry.
at least i think so.
hahah.

Rachel said...

I said that my baby felt like it was flicking me from the inside too! Some people said "fluttering," but I've never called it that... I hope you can keep your summer in order. I was planning our weddign last summer, so it was hectic, but hope to relax on the deck with a book most of this one :)

Ray said...

Wow, that must really be an awesome feeling to feel your baby. I'm glad that you can feel yours considering what you've been through before. And good luck with all that you have to do this month. I wish I was doing something interesting this month, but I'm not.

Take care, Kelly.

the over-scheduled plainsman said...

Taking the time to sit together, check the calendar and write everything down is not a bad habit to get into as the act of writing helps cement things in your mind.

Just think about when you are working the schedule of that little third person into both of your schedules. Visits for shots, exams and later, soccer practice. And of course, a good habit for when you and Jerry are approaching seventy-five or eighty years, too!

As for yesterday, the fact that your Mother-in-Law was at home and awakened to the situation was too funny! She might not have have heard the specifics though, but if she did, bet she had a nostalgic grin on her face remembering "back when."

Glrr (aunt?) had a choice comment too, about considering this a data collection period for bathroom locations, useful information for the next five years when the baby is growing up!

(Nice slice-of everyday life posts.)