Sunday, June 24, 2007

Prepping for pink

It's strange how bestowing a gender upon my growing bump has suddenly made the fact that we're having a baby a little more real. A little more tangible.

All of a sudden I've found myself really concentrating on girls names and mentally envisioning what her nursery is going to look like. Call it "nesting" or whatever you'd like, but I inexplicably feel the need to start getting ready.

One of the first things Jerry and I did Saturday morning was prop up our pillows and lounge in bed with Toby to peruse paint swatches. As if the paint makers could read the minds of expectant parents everywhere, all of the pastel pinks have really sweet names like "ballerina," "tender rose" and "rockabye baby." That alone made it difficult to choose one over another. Not to mention I grabbed 105 pink swatches and 105 blues the last time I was at the hardware store. Narrowing it down to one of the two categories hardly made a dent at all.

It didn't help that we got the latest Pottery Barn Kids catalog in the mail yesterday, either. Jerry and I flipped through the nursery images for inspiration while eating heaping bowls of cereal, pointing out things we liked and nixing others.

Oddly enough, now that we know it's a girl, our ideas have changed. Instead of the dark mahogany wood we originally wanted, I keep picturing a white crib and dresser. Before I could even say it, Jerry was right there voicing the same thought.

"Maybe we should go with white furniture instead," he said.

"Get out of my head!" I said, shaking my spoon at him.

White it is.

I had temporarily put my baby girl insanity to rest sometime throughout the day, but Jerry woke up this morning already back on task.

"So I'm going to call the cable company tomorrow and have them install a line in the guest room, that way we can move the computer over and start painting soon."

He hadn't even gone to the bathroom yet.

I just smiled and nodded.

It's nice knowing I'm not the only one who is insanely excited to make room for our little lady.

18 comments:

Leslie said...

All I can say is, "Awwww."

It's awesome that you and Jerry are so thrilled and on the same mental track.

I love reading about your excitement.

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

Right when I read "dark mahongany wood" I was like, "No! White! White!" It's going to be so much fun now that you know what you're having. YAY!

Rachel said...

you guys are going to be such amazing parents!!! she is one lucky girl. <33

Ray said...

"It's nice knowing I'm not the only one who is insanely excited to make room for our little lady."

^^Awww, I absolutely loved that line!

And white furniture would look nicer since it's a girl. But 105 pink paint swatches, I don't know how you'll EVER come up with just two, that's insane! Have you came up with any ideas on how to decorate the nursery?

You also mentioned, "Pottery Barn", you should also check up on "Bombay for Kids" (well when she's older they don't have anything for babies at least I don't think). You'll just love redcorating her room when she's growing up. They have some great ideas for girls rooms! ;o)

Take care, Kelly.

Emma said...

I am SOSOSOSO happy for you guys!!
She is defiently going to be one amazing little girl who is going to be loved unconditionally.

How long till you find a secret list of Jerry's of what his got to do for the nursery etc lol?

Hope you have a great week
xxE

Julie/aahcoffee said...

Check out Land of Nod's catalogue too. Great things in it!!! And I love that you call her your little lady.

Anonymous said...

Once again, all I can say is you are SO lucky. I can only wish to have your life in a few years. I am jealous. Congrats on everything!

--Sarah

Anonymous said...

My walls are painted with "ballerina" pink (and yes I am aware that I'm not five years old anymore). I recommend that color for you little girl's walls! It is very subtle and calming. :) Congratulations and good luck!!!

Meghan said...

Awww man. White and pink sounds perfect for a little girl. =)

I love reading the names on paint swatches. I'm rather odd that way.

Bekah said...

We were supposed to have a girl and it turned out to be.. not. So, I go with green . :P

erica said...

Yeah, I was going to possibly suggest unisex colors because I've heard of several situations where the unexpected happened..... however the nurse was 90% sure and decorating for a girl sounds like fun! It's very cute and I'm sure whatever you chose will look fantastic

Chelsea said...

Awww your little ladyy =)There are so many shades of pink too! There needs to be a "I'm having a girl and by the time I pop I still won't have the perfect shade of pink" pink. It'd be a hit!

Marina said...

You guys are the cutest. Congratulations again. :D You almost make ME want to have kids, which is impressive.

Janice said...

I'm so excited! Just the thought of doing all of that arranging and painting makes me giddy. You should get those large wooden letters that are painted white and spell out her name..when you figure that part out of course...and put them on the wall. I've always thought that looked cute. We want pictures when you paint!!

Anonymous said...

"our little lady."
how precious.

kristin said...

How exciting! I guessed boy but the fact that I was totally wrong doesn't make it any less fantastic. I can't wait to see how the nursery develops.

julie said...

Screw paint color names, I want to hear what you two are considering for baby names!! Are you gonna tell us or make us wait until November to find out?

whitney/weber said...

kelly, i just keep thinking back to that summer at CRT and now you're having a baby girl!? wild! careful with the pink, it can be overwhelming!!