Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Resurrecting novelle in shorts (with photos)

  • So, um, I tried the whole pillow between my knees thing and, granted, it wasn't a full-blown body pillow, just one of the six or so we have in our bedroom at any given moment, and although it did help get me to sleep, it posed a bit of a problem after that. Sometime in the middle of the night, I rolled on my back with the pillow still lodged between my legs. It formed a gigantic tent of sorts with our comforter. As if waking up to that wasn't strange enough, I'm pretty sure I was dreaming that I was in a Thighmaster infomercial with Suzanne Somers because I was pumping my legs back and fourth like a maniac. I think I'm scarred for life.
  • I just got a frantic e-mail from my friend Andrea whose wedding we will be attending in five weeks. It detailed all of the last-minute stresses brides inevitably end up having to deal with, and the entire thing made me smile. I couldn't help but recall memories of our unforeseen hurtles in those final days and weeks. Hers took the form of the head chef quitting at her reception venue. Mine was a hurricane killing every peony in the entire country. I wrote back telling her to take a deep breath and promised that in six weeks, she'll be laughing, too. Of course, it's easy for me to say. All of the peonies are blooming right now and they give me a chuckle every time I see one.
  • I think the realization that you're about to have a baby hits home for different people in different ways. For Jerry, it has spurred him to resume a workout regimen in hopes it will help him keep up with our little one and live long enough to see any potential great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren. You know, age 319. He's running and lifting and eating healthier all in the goal of shedding a few pounds and increasing his energy level. Yesterday, during a walk, he voiced that it would be amazing to get down to 200 pounds. I could only think to say one thing: "Maybe if you stick with it, you and I will reach that milestone in the same week!"

P1012885
We don't have any peonies in our yard, but our rose bush is in bloom.


P1012887
It is really tough being Toby. Really.


P1012892
And I'm not sure what these purple things are, but I love them.


17 weeks
And because my mom was threatening to disown
me for not posting a 16 week belly shot, here is my
17 week belly shot in all of its elastic waistband glory.

26 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks so much, Kel.
I love your belly shots. That's my grand baby!!!

aahcoffee said...

Irises?

julie said...

Those purple things are indeed irises.

Toby is so damn cute.

Love the belly shots!!

Tiffany said...

Yes! Irises! They're a Perennial and very pretty! I just planted a Peony bush, I'm hoping it'll bloom next year!

the plainsman said...

We all agree, they look like a variety of irises, leaves look thinner than usual. They come in all colors: blues, purples, yellow and black, and some even a "salmon" color. We had them when I was a kid, I guess shade eventually did them all in.

Toby has a tough life, indeed. Good for Jerry; I began running again this spring and it really boosts the energy level.

You could take a pic every few days and staple prints in order and make a flip book of belly shots growing!

Marsha said...

Purple things are irises, coloquially known also as "flags". They grow sem i wild here in TN and also in IN where I grew up. One of my very favorite flowers. Dh got me some for one of our anniversaries when he was out of town.
your belly is cute, it's almost as big as my non pregnant one LOL.

Lisa said...

can i just say again....YAYAYAY! you're having a baby!!! i'm so excited : )

Miriam said...

I heart Toby. If he goes missing, come look for him at my house.

Suzy said...

The purple thing...Iris. Although in my family we call them Flags. Not really sure why.

Marina said...

This is why if I ever get married, I'm eloping.

tossedrice said...

the purple things are called irises.

Emily said...

Waking up on your back can be your body's way of telling you it's time to move. :) Now that I'm 30 weeks, I sleep with 7 pillows... but one way I make sure I don't roll over on my back is by propping a pillow back there so I stay put.

Cute belly! I'm still going with boy, but the amazing thing is that you'll be finding out so soon!

Take care~

Lioncloud said...

Is Toby going to get to go to the birthing classes with you? He didn't get to be ring bearer, so it only seems fair....

Chelsea said...

I'm gonna go with everyone else and say irises! Hahaha I've had my comforter turn to a tent too becaue of a pillow! I had to rest my ankle and I woke up in the middle of the night and was scared to death! Great photos!

PS, I did a little entry on the newspaper meeting I went to yesterdy, it was rather uneventful.

l said...

those purple things are irises! hehe ;-)

Ray said...

Well here's to rooting Jerry on, for going down to "200 pounds" hope he makes it there before the baby's born. And what a complete JERK that chef is, for cancelling within ONLY 5 weeks of your friends wedding! That's just crazy. Did your friend do a contract with these people? If so she should sue! I really hope she finds a new chef in such a small amount of time, and that everything with her works out for the best.

But anyway:

I love that pic of Toby sticking out his tongue, "He acts like such a human it's funny." And that belly shot of you is "great" keep em coming!

Take care, Kelly.

Candi said...

Poor Toby. He has to worry about such horrible things like... bathing.

natalie said...

you've got yourself some irises. great photo of you! i think it's so cute all these belly shots!! :)

Kristin said...

Oh my god...this is going to sound really stupid, but I just basically died of laughing at the "tent in the comforter" thing. I found that insanely amusing, for unknown reason.

By the way, I think that the Plainsman dude who left you a comment before had a really fabulous idea. Flipbooks are fun =]

-KrIsTiN-

Melissa said...

Yep, I was gonna say the same thing as everyone else about the Irises!

mercurial scribe said...

Irises. Lovely.

And omg! I just saw "Knocked Up" and thought of you (only because you are, you know, knocked up not because of the characters).

Go Jerry! I, too, would love to see below 200 lbs. :-/

Randall said...

Cute list and pictures. I love how in Toby's pictures you can sorta imagine what he is thinking.

And yes, those are irises!

ajandmac said...

this is awesome. thanks for letting us journey with you.

Wendy said...

Toby looks like he might need some sunglasses!

Tiger Babble said...

I love your belly! It looks so cute and round and prego!! lol

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful!!!!