Friday, July 6, 2007

Sometimes images are just better than words

Every time we've gone swimming in my mother-in-law's pool this summer, I've found myself saying, "Ugh! I wish I had remembered to bring the video camera!"

Not only does Toby play volleyball, but he's recently taken to the water, too. Last summer he absolutely hated it. Hated it more than when we eat a meal without sharing. Especially when he's employing his saddest "I'm practically emaciated over here" stare.

Now he's a little older and his instincts have kicked in. So much so that all four of his legs start twitching in the doggie paddle motion before he even hits the water. It's nothing short of hilarious.

Fortunately, we remembered the video camera for Toby's volleyball debut. And although I have almost five minutes of footage of everyone in the pool taking turns tossing the ball at Toby's head so he can volley it back, I cut it down to a manageable 30 seconds or so.

And, of course, I got the doggie paddle.





P1011661_2
And some things are just better captured in picture. Here's
Sparky happily floating on his raft (aka Toby-Free Island).


P1011663_2
This was when I accidentally backed my tube too close to the
edge and Sparky took it as an invitation to hop aboard.


P1011678
Jerry and Toby sitting in the grass, watching the
boys pretend to destroy each other with cap guns.

17 comments:

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

Cute! I love Jerry's sound effects!

julie said...

Bahahaha!!! Love those little legs!! I don't have speakers at work, so I'm going to have to watch these again at home so I can hear everything.

Suzy said...

love the videos!!! Awesome!! He's a maniac with that ball!!

Sarah said...

Toby and Sparky are amazing! My dog does some really cute stuff too.

kristin said...

Those videos are awesome! I'm so glad you remembered the video camera. That dog is nuts but in a good way :)

Amy said...

Your dog is too cute! And Jerry's sound effects are pretty much amazing too.

gorakagaz said...

haha, that's hilarious! toby and sparky are so cute.

Mia said...

Haha, Toby is adorable. And I love sparky with you in the tube!
Also, Jerry's music for putting Toby near the water was lovely. Haha, your videos made me laugh quite a bit :)

grace said...

wow my dog has never grown to like water... my dog is 13 and she will hardly touch a toe near it.

i have no idea why she hates it so much, all she does is chase the geese at the beach..

but your dog is truly talented haha

Anonymous said...

Those are adorable videos and photos!!!

Emilee said...

Hahaha Toby sure is entertaining! I love Jerry's sound effects too, and Toby chasing after Sparky.

Ray said...

A day by the pool is always fun. And Toby is a lively dog full of energy, too cute. I also love the photo of Sparky on his own little float and the one with you and him.

Take care, Kelly.

P.S. Did the baby make any movements in the water, hehe?

Janice said...

That's awesome! Toby is just wonderful! It reminds me of this weekend when one of our Jack Russel's would swim far out into the lake and the other one would just sit in the shallow end trying to eat rocks

Anonymous said...

haha, wow! Toby swims better than I do!

frank the tank said...

ive never been in a pool

Randall said...

So funny - I can just imagine the videos to be taken of Baby Novelle with Jerry's sound effects and you laughing in the background!

Heather said...

Just perfect!!