Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The alligator has a home

I just wrote a whole entry that I decided to save as my newspaper column. I'll post it here after it's published. In the meantime, because my writing is spent for the day and I'm in SERIOUS need of some food, I'll leave you with an image that never ceases to make me laugh when I see it.

Jerry and I finished emptying out what will become the nursery last weekend, carting all of the Christmas lights and other holiday decorations out of the baby's closet and up to the attic. Sure, it was a bit of a crappy realization to discover that we forgot to check the paint color in there, but it felt good knowing that we'll have a place to put her clothes and belongings -- after we haul out the green paint. Again.

To celebrate the uncluttered closet, I hung up the one thing we have on a hanger -- the cool alligator onesie we got in Harrisburg. (Hopefully she won't destroy it as fast as Toby destroyed his matching alligator toy.)


P1011666
It looks so hilariously tiny in all that cavernous space.

10 comments:

melinda hale said...

amazing how someone that really could fit in a shoebox ends up needing so much space...

I think it is going to be really cool when your daughter grows up, and you can let her read these entries. What a special way to show your daughter you cared and loved her from before she was born!

Chelsea said...

I always laugh when I see little baby clothes hanging up in a big closet!

a reflective plainsman said...

Agree with Melinda, about the extra gift that your daughter will receieve when she reads the thoughts that many mothers must have, but few like you can put into beautifully composed words.

That gator wrap thing will be long gone by then, but those written words will last.

Ray said...

Awww, that is so cute. I can't wait to see the rest of her wardrobe, hehe. And that closets really big I'm jealous. ;o)

Take care, Kelly.

Ray said...

P.S. Since you're a PRO I bet at publishing articles and such: maybe you could help me. I want to be a published writer. I have a poem and probably many other poems that I'll write, that I want to get published so that it's copyrighted and so that no one steal it. Do you by any chance know how I can go about doing that, and how much it'll cost? I hear it's free but I don't think that's the case.

Once again take care.

gorakagaz said...

aww...that's so cute

Shalini said...

adorable! is your closet the same size? cause before you know it she will be asking to borrow your stuff ;)

Kristin said...

That is the cutest little onesie. I remember seeing one like that with a piggy on it one time. I love baby clothes. They're uber-cute. Especially little baby shoes. Like, the cute little sandals and stuff :P

-KrIsTiN-

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

For some reason I imagine that lonely alligator saying "Hey, maaaaan.... Where'd everybody go?" in a voice quite similar to Cheech Marin.

kristin said...

It looks so cute!

I have to tell you I had an experience similar to your fry guy at McDonald's yesterday and I was in teh drive through. o goes to show, that may not have helped :)