Sunday, August 19, 2007

Love wrapped in pink ribbons

There is nothing quite so humbling as answering the door to family and friends as they shuffle in one-by-one carrying huge boxes and bags in your honor. Before I even started opening gifts, my eyes welled up just at the sight of the huge pile of beautiful pastel wrappings and bows.

I couldn't shake the overwhelming feeling of love and support in that room. Advice was given, jokes were shared and I felt every bit the guest of honor that the hostesses intended. In fact, a few of us I arrived early and when I offered my assistance, I was shot a look that immediately dismissed the absurdity of my even mentioning it. Then I was told to help myself to a glass of lemonade.

Everything was perfect. It was held at the home of one of my mom's closest friends and it was decorated beautifully. Of course there was pink everywhere, including my great-grandmother's pink china for dinner, a perfect single pink rose centerpiece and adorable baby-themed confetti scattered around the table.

I'm not sure why more people don't have showers on Friday nights because it created the perfect party atmosphere. Everyone congregated in the kitchen for the first hour as guests filed in and found the appetisers. Then we had a fantastic chicken Caesar salad, fruit kabobs and homemade bread for dinner and, of course, a marble cake made by my all-time favorite bakery. The hostesses had given the owner one of my invitations and he mimicked it in frosting.

When I sat down to open my gifts and everyone filled in the seats around me to watch, I couldn't help but start out by saying what a huge relief their generosity was providing me. As much fun as both of my bridal showers were, and as fabulous as it was to receive brand new fluffy towels, beautiful serving platters and fancy salt and pepper shakers, Jerry and I could've survived without most of it.

Not the case with baby showers. Everything I received, we needed desperately. I have no idea what we would've done without their help. To keep myself from full-out bawling and likely ruining the party, I tried not to think too much about it and just threw myself into the excitement of each little outfit and tube of butt rash ointment.

The gifts seemed endless. I received almost all of the major necessities including a car seat, two strollers (one for heavy travel, one for quick trips), a play yard, infant tub and a motorized musical rocker. Then there were the little things like clothes and diapers and baby shampoo. And the sentimental things like beautiful homemade quilts, a hand-typed booklet of advice by a new mom and a stack of burned CDs with soothing lullabies for the nursery.

After hugs and thank yous and more congratulations and best wishes, the party wound down. Jerry and my dad showed up to help with boxes and before I knew it, everything was loaded into cars and I was thanking the hostesses for such a wonderful time.

The next morning, Jerry and I went through all the packages together so he could see what we had received, and it just continued to strike me how lucky we are to have so many people who care about us.

And soon will care about our daughter.

18 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! I bet you are feeling much more relieved about everything now :-)

Post pictures when you get a chance!!

Shalini said...

yes post pics! I love little girlie things for the rooms, the decorations! Definitely have fun setting up all the goodies in the lil one's room!

chelsea said...

wait untill everything is set up! I'm glad you had such an amazing time!

aahcoffee said...

Awwwww!

Kristin said...

That's wonderful! I CANNOT wait until you post pictures of the finished nursery with all that stuff in it, lol. I'm glad you had such a great time!

-KrIsTiN-

Ray said...

Awww, I'm glad you had such a great babyshower. And that pink table plate setting with the single rose sounds like such an elegant baby shower! Such the
V.I.P. treatment of babyshowers all around. Lucky you! But you deserve it, so I'm happy for you.

Take care, Kelly.

Ray said...

P.S. When you get the time I'd love to see a picture of that homemade quilt!

natalie said...

how wonderful!
can't wait to see pictures!! :)

Emilee said...

Sounds like you had an awesome time! We all can't wait to see pictures! :]

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time :)

I attended a baby shower yesterday... they're such loads of fun. I loved oohing and aahing over all the great little clothes and things :)

Kristin said...

What a great party. I'm sure you are feeling much more prepared now too :)

Rachel said...

I'm glad you got a lot of things you need! Can't wait for pictures!

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

Sounds like it was a blast. Can't wait to see pics!

diane said...

I'm glad you had so much fun. I can't wait for my baby shower as well and my sisters and closest cousins are already planning for my baby shower. :)

melinda hale said...

Life is good when you are loved.

Did you get the Bumbo (or whatever that was) that seemed so necessary?

Anonymous said...

i bet the pink china was just the perfect touch! post pictures!

Kriston said...

Even just reading that made me cry. I'm so glad you got to have a shower.

Lioncloud said...

And your cousin (who was attending her first baby shower) said, afterwards, "SO MUCH ESTROGEN!!!!"