Thursday, August 2, 2007

Novelle in shorts

It's another one of those random tidbits kind of days:
  • I'm in the homestretch! According to my pregnancy ticker at the bottom of the page, there are now 100 days separating me and my Nov. 10 due date. HOOORAAAAY! ... ahem.

  • Jerry and I love our new furniture arrangement upstairs so much that it sort of feels like a new house all over again. It's like we've gained a room. And Toby loves it, too. While I'm on the computer in the morning, instead of clamoring to get on my lap by scratching at my shins, he just hops up on the bed and peers out the window. He is so content there that he sometimes falls asleep. But Toby isn't the only one. When Jerry comes home from work and I'm still on the computer, he flops down on the bed, too. After we chat for awhile, I notice how quiet the room has gotten and usually turn around to find Jer and Toby sprawled out with pillows scattered everywhere. We've nicknamed it the "day bed." It's the perfect spot for afternoon naps.

    P1011655

  • My mom is such an avid magazine subscriber that many publishers show their thanks by rewarding her on occasion with a free subscription for her or a friend. I am often that friend. But when the year is up, they send her notice, asking if she'd like to resubscribe for me. Apparently Bon Appetit posed the question in such a way that had her laughing out loud: "What would you like to do with Kelly?" She called me later that afternoon, still laughing: "I felt like writing them a letter saying, 'People, I've been trying to figure that out for 29 years.' "

  • My doctor has explained that fetuses have their up days and down days just like everybody else, but when the baby had two somewhat inactive days back-to-back this week, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a little nervewracking. So, in effort to see if I could spur a little response, I laid down and pressed my hands into my belly. Not only did she push back, but I could feel all sorts of low-key squirming and rolling around that isn't evident from just gently placing my hands on my abdomen. And, even better, I felt the rhythmic thump of her heart beat very clearly. It's nothing short of amazing. When Jerry got home, I didn't explain anything, just sort of pushed his hand deep into my flesh. His face looked sort of quizzical at first, then shocked, then enlightened. "THAT'S THE HEARTBEAT! Holy crap that's amazing! WE'RE TOTALLY HAVING A BABY!"

Totally.

14 comments:

Mandy said...

So, what did you think of the last Harry Potter book?

julie said...

That was a great reaction from Jerry!! I love it. Totally.

Anonymous said...

aww, the picture of Jerry and Toby is great. just wondering, since your baby can hear noises from outside now, do you put headphones on your belly and play music for your baby?

Chelsea said...

Oh man I have daybed in my room, except mine is hard as a rock and only a few feet away from my actual bed, so its job is to hold all my crap from school! Wohoo only 100 days!

fiona said...

So apparently Jerry realizes that you're not just getting fat, but there's an actual PERSON in there now????? =)
I know how you mean about worrying about inactivity. When my little girl wasn't moving much for a couple of days at around 24 weeks, I called the doctor and the practicioner said that it's 'still too early to feel regular movement.' Uhh...I call bullshit!!! Anyway, she said not to worry so I kept an eye on it and she finally started movin' around more.
Monday morning, I was lying half on my stomach and half on my hip just waking up and I felt this rhythmic thumping. Took me about five seconds to realize she had the hiccups and I could TOTALLY feel them. It was the most amazing thing I've felt so far.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on hitting the 100 day mark! Time is going to fly!

Marina said...

^^^ WTF. Babies in the womb can get hiccups? Now THAT'S amazing.
Oh, er, and everything else about them. ;)

Kristin said...

Haha, definitely sounds like something Jerry would say :P

-KrIsTiN-

the "zzzz" plainsman said...

Great pic of T&J at rest. "Having a baby is tiring for us guys!"

mercurial scribe said...

Just reading that makes me want to be a mother that much more!

diane said...

at 20 weeks, I know it is too early to try and feel regular movements from the baby but I try to make sure that I at least feel one daily.:) It truly reassures me a lot. I was aware of the baby's movement at the 16th week of my pregnancy because I was religiously reading your blog which is fantabulously so far. And you were right, they were far from butterflies in the stomach. I can't wait to feel the baby's heartbeat using my bare hands. :) My boyfriend feels cheated because whenever he places his hand on my belly the movement ceases.

Jessica said...

That's so exciting! I love pregnancies & babies! Congratulations on reaching the home stretch, I cna't wait to see your little one!

kristin said...

That's awesome :)

lovechild420 said...

Has Jerry put his ear to your belly yet? My hubby used to LOVE that. He says it's the thing he misses most. Because he could hear the baby and I couldn't. He says it was so much more one & one and private between the two of them to hear his little heartbeat & have him kick hubby in the face LoL