Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Photos courtesy of those who were bright enough to remember their camera

Of all times to forget my camera, I didn't remember to bring it to my own baby shower. You know, a once-in-a-lifetime event. I had been charging the battery, and because of that, it wasn't in my purse like it is like every other second of every other ordinary day.

Of course, right?

I immediately noticed its absence when my mom and I pulled into the driveway where the party was being held and let out a very lovely string of expletives that definitely say "impending motherhood." (Much like my KEG T-shirt from college that is ironically the only one that fits me these days.)

Fortunately, word of my memory lapse spread quickly and everyone who DID remember to bring a camera started snapping away and vowed to e-mail me copies. The few below were taken by my mom and aunt, but I stupidly forgot to ask to get my picture taken WITH anyone. So most of the photos are of me opening gifts.

I would happily bore you with shot after shot of cute outfits, baby wipes and diaper rash cream, but, um, my legs no longer look like legs. They have morphed into huge tree trunks and every photo of me in the chair looks like my mammoth limbs grew out of the carpet in front of me.

I know I've gained weight. I can tell because even my maternity clothes don't fit as well as they used to. But looking at yourself in the mirror every day and not noticing the gradual change is one thing. Looking at a image after image of your arms that now resemble an overstuffed tube of encased meat is completely another. Sausage arms. Tree trunk legs. By November I might have to staple a bed sheet around my body as the only means to cover my Caravan ass.

So, here are a few photos of the party and two of me that won't make your eyes bleed. *

886589298109_0_BG
All of the gigantic presents almost created a standing-room only situation.

486589298109_0_ALB
The hostess made a "flower" centerpiece out of baby socks.



20070817_0059
So cute!

343720398109_0_BG
My friend Courtney got me this awesome outfit because we both wore
overalls almost every day of our senior year in high school. I think I had
12 pairs in all different colors. I can't WAIT for Little Miss to fit into it.

493720398109_0_BG
This is the beautiful homemade quilt I received.

20070817_0082
I absolutely love this photo of my grandma and cousin Vanessa.

286589298109_0_BG
How cute is this cake? And it tasted even better than it looked.

307440398109_0_BG
My car filled to the brim.

* In case it wasn't painfully obvious, I am being sarcastic. I am completely comfortable with the necessary weight gain of pregnancy. Please don't come to my house and impale my sausage arms and tree trunk legs on a huge pitchfork and roast my Caravan ass over a bonfire. Thank you.

21 comments:

fiona said...

Wow...you guys made quite a haul!! I got mostly little stuff at my first shower, but everyone got me some of THE most adorable little girl's clothes imaginable. After all, they ARE easier to shop for than little boys.
Glad you had a good time!!!

aahcoffee said...

YEAH!!!! So cute....the decorations, the gifts, and you looked lovely. Time is going to fly by!!!

Marsha said...

You know, I feel the same way when I see pictures of myself pregnant or the first couple of months post partum. I mean, my legs! My arms! The good news is, it really does go away! It's a great incentive to breastfeed on cue......melts away those pounds, really it does.

Chelsea said...

That flower-sock piece is so cute!! Gosh, it must have felt like Christmas for you.

Anna said...

Sausage arms?! Kelly, you look gorgeous, dahling! Looks super fun!

kristin said...

That's some great swag :) And you look adorable as a pregnant gal :)

Suzy said...

wow! everything was so cute!!! and the cake looked divine!!
You are a really cute pregnant lady! You are cute in general, but you glow now. :)

Christine said...

You are so lucky! Everything looked beautiful.

its_just_ang said...

Everything looked fantastic! The sock flowers were adorable. And please, you probably will weigh less nine months pregnant than I do right now. : ) You look wonderful!

kimiedawn said...

I think you look great, definately not fat just cute and pregnant. My husband and I are currently trying so I very well can be where you are in a few months. This will be my second so I know how you feel though. No matter how many people tell you your cute, you still feel huge. Trust me though you look cute.

Tiffany said...

You look beautiful Kelly!!

Ya know what's funny? When you posted that your baby shower was Friday, the first thought that popped in my head was "I should remind her to bring her camera." Haha. I doubt you would have seen the comment before leaving anyways, so oh well. :-)

gorakagaz said...

that sock bouquet is ingenious. that looked like so much fun. and you look gorgeous

julie said...

You look fantastic. Glad you had a good time. Can't wait to see pics of the little lady's room all decked out with those gifts.

the plainsman said...

Ahh, that was your day to be photographed, not take them yourself! Were you planning on photographing the delivery yourself, too??? KELLY!!! LOL

Looks like a lot of nice stuff, but not looking half as good as you do. Sausages, HA!

Ray said...

OHMYGODNESS, that flower centerpiece with baby pink socks as flowers, was a BRILLIANT idea! How gorgeous. I would have never thought of that. Beautiful cake as well, it's too cute. You looked great in that dress. Also thanks for showing the pic of the quilt. It's really big, she'll be using that even after her baby years!

Take care, Kelly.

Kriston said...

You look great for a third trimester gal!

Emilee said...

Looks like you had a great time! The handmade quilt is beautiful.

Shalini said...

I do love those centerpieces, and btw, if I could even look half as good as you do pregnant, well then I would be very happy! You glow! REALLY!

Emmy said...

I had the reverse effect when I got to examine myself in a fully lengthened mirror and those profoundly intense 10 minutes of my pregnant life in full view had made me oh-so-wonderfully giddy! And I meant that when I thought it, I DID!

In my 20/10 lenses... I was a vision of absolute loveliness and never before realized how much a pregnant woman could glow or look better with a belly than without one. Go figure!

Unfortunately, those feelings never did last for me when I really needed it. Because the aftermath of giving birth had totally removed the rose colored glasses I had been wearing the whole damn time! *laughing*

You DO look great all pregnant though! So maybe we can't all be wrong when we say that your baby weight does in fact become you! And that dress is a total knockout for being just a maternity outfit. *thumbs up* :-)

Nutkin said...

That centre piece with the socks is adorable!!

Janice said...

Those are ADORABLE!!