Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A hairy situation

My hair has gotten to the point that I often accidentally clasp it into my bra, which also happens to be the telltale sign that I need a cut.

I've been wanting to go for weeks, I've just been so busy. A trip to my hairdresser, which used to be a quick drive, now takes an hour each way thanks to our new location, not including the time spent with my overly talkative stylist. But, like most women will tell you, finding a good hairdresser is as unlikely as getting your finger stuck in a keyhole. So when you do find one, even a 12-day trek would seem completely reasonable.

Yesterday I finally broke down and made an appointment, explaining to the receptionist who answered the phone that it was a dire emergency and asked if he could please fit me in, like, last week. He laughed, gave me a few options for today and I heaved a huge sigh of relief, thanking him profusely while explaining that I was ready to take the hedge clippers to it myself.

I actually want a real cut this time. Something with a little style. Ever since the Great Bang Debacle of 2004, I've been fairly conservative with my look. Okay, President Bush conservative. I was so thrilled to have it all one length again that I kept it that way. For a few years.

Unfortunately, I know it might take some convincing to talk my stylist into cutting more than a few inches off. Ever since I told her I was pregnant, she relayed the story about how a customer in her third trimester came in and told her to "cut it all off." Well, Pamela refused, explaining to the woman that she didn't really want her hair gone, she wanted the baby out. Months later, I guess the woman came back with her newborn and gushed her gratitude for not chopping her hair.

Thanks lady. Now I have to convince my very spiritual, embrace-your-follicles hairdresser that I really honestly want my hair cut. Third trimester or not.

I made peace with the decision a long time ago. Way before it was getting lodged in the hooks when I put on a bra. I just want something a little more manageable and less time consuming right now.

But as I was styling it for the last time yesterday afternoon before work, it suddenly dawned on me that I had wanted to get some photos taken of me pregnant with my long hair. One nice portrait that I could put in a frame somewhere. Unfortunately, Jerry had already left for the grocery store. Besides, we don't really have an open wall in our house to use as a plain backdrop anymore and our camera is for the most part broken. And I needed to leave.

As I started to obsess during my drive, wondering whether I should cancel the appointment or just give up on the idea of having a pregnant portrait of myself, it suddenly dawned on me that I could ask one of the photographers at the office to take a few shots of me in the studio that's all but 10 paces from my desk.

Fortunately a friend of mine, Pat, had been scheduled to cover the night shift. I told him I didn't want anything fancy, just a picture of me looking down at my bare belly -- if he wasn't squeamish.

He laughed and said he wasn't.

It just took a few minutes, but the result exceeded my expectations. Ironically I was wearing one of my most despised maternity shirts, but because I didn't have time to obsess over my outfit, it looks great.

Pat saved all of the photos to a disk for me and I couldn't be happier. They all look great, but there are about five or six shots that I love. And one that is without a doubt frame worthy.

Now I can get my hair cut with confidence.

If my hairdresser agrees.

01


02

41 comments:

Miriam said...

You look gorgeous!

sweetheartmj97 said...

those are really nice pics, you'll be so glad you had them taken. especially when you've been getting around 4 hours of sleep a night, you can look back and see how good you looked while you were pregnant.

Amy said...

The last picture is absolutely AMAZING. You look beautiful!!!

Erinn said...

Wow!! Love the pictures. The bottom one is my favorite. You look so beautiful pregnant. Many women would kill to look as good as you when they were pregnant.

Anonymous said...

You're so beautiful!

gorakagaz said...

you look amazingly gorgeous!

julie said...

Oh. My. God!! You look so amazingly beautiful!! That last picture is fabulous.

(I've got my mom reading you now too. It was through an email from her saying "I hope she posts pictures of her new cut" that I knew you'd posted today!!)

Tiffany said...

those are great!! you look beautiful :-)

denae said...

Aw you look SO cute, you are glowing, you look so very happy.

:)

Lioncloud said...

You have plenty of time to get sick of caring for both hair and baby. Enjoy your long hair while you can!

Glrr

Wendy said...

I love the photos and can't wait to see the new hair! My friend Jean cut her hair off super-short during her pregnancy and loves the new look. She had always been terrified of trying a new look and not liking it. She thinks the baby gave her the courage to try something new and drastic (I guess she figured if she didn't like it she could blame it on the hormones), but she loved it! So, 3rd trimester changes aren't always bad.

www.xanga.com/nothingbeast said...

President Bush Conservative?

Sooooo.... does that mean you cut the bangs when it's actually the hair length causing problems with the "twins"?

(How's that for a political symbolism?)

Anonymous said...

you look fantastic!!!!

Tina P. said...

those are so beautifulllll

kristin said...

Those pictures are fantastic! I never would have guessed they were a last minute idea.

Good luck with hair. I wish I had the nerve to cut mine off but it's like a weird security blanket or something :)

Sheryl said...

Do you ever look bad?! Great pics. I'm sure you'll treasure them forever. What a great idea to get them done. What eventually happened with your hair? I have a friend who always grows her hair out when she's pregnant so she can pull it back and get it out of the way once she has the baby.

tossedrice said...

amazing!! you're so beautiful kelly.

CDNSarah said...

You look stunning!

Ray said...

OMG! Your hair is so long. And that picture of you in the black backdrop looking at your bare belly is so GORGEOUS!! You look so young. It's beautiful.

Well good luck at the salon.

Take, care.

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

Those turned out great for such an impromptu thing! Can't wait to see the new hair style!

Tanya said...

The second picture is GORGEOUS!!!

chelsea said...

You look amazing in both!! Seriously what kind of starightener do you use?!

the "wowed" plainsman said...

Whoa! I like both photos, the first is of a happy, pretty, pregnant Kelly!

But the second is an extrodinary photograph of a gorgeous, beautiful pregnant woman. Wow!

WOW!

Alexandria said...

I like both of them. The second one is especially striking!

jessica said...

oh my gosh! that is an absolutely beautiful picture...

Anonymous said...

beautiful, you look so glowingly happy! love the second picture!

Anonymous said...

Both pictures you shared with us are great but the second one is my favorite. You look beautiful.

~ Kirs

Beth said...

You know...I usually don't like the bare belly pictures. I totally get the idea of marking progress as you grow...but I like them covered up. Just me. Weird, I know.

BUT this one of you, I must admit, is absolutely beautiful. Every pregnant woman would like to be as radiant and gorgeous as you are.

I'm very, very happy for the three of you. :)

And yeah, speaking as one who totally mastered the French braid or the twist up into a butterfly clip when our daughter was given to us...you'll be glad you shortened your hair some. 'Specially when your little darlin' decides it's a great way to hold onto Mommy!

Emilee said...

You look so gorgeous! I hope you post pictures of your new haircut too! :]

Randall said...

Great pictures... what a benefit to work at a newspaper with photographers at your grasp! Can't wait to see the new hair!

bluemoon989 said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Molly said...

OMG! Beautiful. I wish I looked that put together for a last minute photo shoot! And that baby girl of yours, very photogenic already! ;)

Anonymous said...

You look AMAZING!! Love both shots. Thanks for sharing!
*g

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh, that last picture is soooo gorgeous!!! You look GREAT!!!

Elizabeth Rogers said...

Hey Kelly i used to read you blog at xanga and i loved reading it. i am so happy for you and jerry! your baby is going to be so cute! i like reading about your baby news because my brother and his girlfriend are having a baby boy and its due in nov. and i like to compare them and see how they both are going. youre glowing until my boyfriends girlfriend when i seen her yesterday. haha she looked lke she just woke up! but still beautiful. god bless. - Liz

Shalini said...

Holy MOly! You are gorgeous!

And I want to see the after pics after you get your hair cut!!!

Anonymous said...

i loved the second pic a lot.......both the shots are too gud!!!!!!!!!
-sreenitha

Jennifer said...

That last picture is so beautiful. I'm sure the baby will even charish that one someday.

Emmy said...

Wow! That second picture is really special! It totally blew me away! You're so lovely and uber-happy! I'm practically gushing over it! lol

Seriously, though... It ought to be entered into some kind of snazzy pregnancy magazine or whatnot, the kind that hosts other photos of fab-tastic expectant mothers in it. You'd be great for it!

suzy said...

awesome!!! awesome!!! The bare belly one is so frame worthy! aw! I love them! I hope I look 1/2 as good as you do now when I'm where you are (January).

shimajan said...

oh kelly those pictures are so beautiful! you look gorgeous! great idea by the way..my mom hardly has any pictures while she was pregnant with me so i went through a phase of thinking i was adopted ;)