Monday, September 24, 2007

I'd be less surprised to find out it's a boy

Weeks ago, Jerry and I received an invitation to a surprise birthday party for a close family friend. The card specified no gifts, but not wanting to go empty-handed, I opted to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies for the birthday girl.

Well, it turns out, there was no birthday. The surprise was for me. Jerry's family threw me a baby shower here in Pennsylvania yesterday.

I knew we were running a little late, so it didn't seem strange that the parking lot was already packed when we got there. It also didn't hit me that the room was full of people who didn't know the woman whose birthday I thought it was. Like my coworkers. And our neighbor. And some of Jerry's relatives from out of town.

So when the room erupted into a chorus of "SURPRISE!" I was thoroughly confused. My initial instinct was to look over my shoulder to see if the birthday girl was right behind us and we had ruined everything.

I don't think it was until I blinked a few times and focused enough to take in all of the pink tablecloths and baby-themed decorations that it really sunk in.

Then I turned around and whacked Jerry in the chest.

I must've looked like a 5-year-old trying to comprehend the intricacies of quantum physics.

As I walked around the room saying hello to everyone, I couldn't believe how many people had kept the secret from me for so long. Even my own mother. She had traveled from New York and stayed with Jer's mom the night before. Not to mention some of my friends I had discussed the fake birthday party with just days earlier.

I must've been slackjawed for a good 15 minutes. I'm amazed drool didn't escape from my mouth as my head worked to put all the pieces together.

Needless to say, the party was fantastic. I mostly enjoyed hanging out with a few people I hadn't seen in awhile and just the realization that my in-laws went through so much trouble to make the day perfect for me. I tried not to miss a single detail.

We received a ton of gifts that were still on our Oh-My-God-We-Seriously-Can't-Have-This-Baby-Until-We-Get-This List, which took a lot of pressure off my subconscious. The sleep alone that peace of mind will afford me is worth sending out a million thank-you cards for.

And I still have some chocolate chip cookies in the house to boot.

24 comments:

kristin said...

What a great surprise!

Rachel said...

What a great surprise! I hope you feel ready for baby now! You're getting so close!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! that is so fun and i am glad you enjoyed yourself!!!
loffe me

Laura said...

My fiance proposed to me in kinda the same manner, except I was "planning the surprise party for him" but everyone was in on it that it was really an engagement party.

and yeah, i hit him too.

julie said...

So does this mean we'll get to see pictures of the nursery soon? I can't wait for it to be done enough for pics!!

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

That's awesome. Sounds like so much fun. That was a pretty smart way to trick you, though, I have to say!

Ray said...

Awww, that was so sweet of them! And it's great that they still managed to make it a surprise. All the babyshowers in my family the girl always found out. Either someone had a big mouth or they were just expecting it, I guess.

YAY for still having chocolate chip cookies!

Take, care.

Suzy said...

that's an awesome surprise!! and you've got leftover cookies...woot woot!

Kristin said...

Hahaha....it kind of sucks that you went through the trouble of making cookies when you really didn't need to, though :P

-KrIsTiN-

Tiffany said...

How sweet!! :-)

gorakagaz said...

aww, that's so sweet! pictures?

the plainsman said...

What a well earned surprise -- and neat for all to be able to keep you completely in the dark. It would have been fun to be there and see your reaction, but we have the next best thing, (no, better!) to read your words telling of it.

Those are good friends and co-workers!

mercurial scribe said...

How FUN!

Chelsea said...

Thats sooo sweeet!

Emilee said...

That was so nice of them! I can't believe they kept it a secret for that long! Glad you had fun! :]

Sheryl said...

How wonderful!!!! I'm so glad you got to enjoy it, feel more prepared and soak in all that love. What a great family you have.

Anonymous said...

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/pinkcrayon143/?action=view¤t=DSCI0713.jpg

I think she looks like Toby, but girl version!!!!

Anonymous said...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/pinkcrayon143/DSCI0713.jpg

Its not working, try this one!

Candi said...

I am so behind due to not having internet access right now (I moved). But you are looking great and you have what, 6.5 weeks left? I LOVE the pregnancy photos. Beautiful!

Shalini said...

WOW! How wonderful, what a sweet (and yet devious) family and friends you have! Just enjoy! and Relive it! Then before you know it, the reason for all these wonderful happenings will be here to take up all that love and attention :)

Randall said...

How fun! Glad to hear it was a good time :o)

Tiffany said...

Found a blog you might enjoy... about a mom with 6 kids! Be happy there's just one growing in there ;-)

http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/

shimajan said...

very sweet!

jsi said...

Talk about coolness - an exceptional surprise!