Friday, September 21, 2007

One step closer

Last night Jerry and I took a soon-to-be parents tour at the hospital and it couldn't have been more worth it. A lot of our friends keep making fun of us for being overly prepared, but in my opinion, you can never have too much information. Especially when it concerns pushing a human being out of your body.

Besides, I've read a lot of books on the topic and labor slows down for many women once they get to the hospital because they're in a strange place and often feel nervous. It's part of the fight-or-flight response. If the woman doesn't feel comfortable, labor instinctively slows so she can get somewhere safer.

Keeping that in mind, I didn't think it would hurt to take an hour out of our lives to become a little more familiar with the nursing staff, procedures and location where we're going to have our baby. It was without a doubt worth it.

In addition to the three tables full of pamphlets and handouts, we also got valuable information on what the hospital allows and doesn't allow, visiting hours, typical lengths of stay for different types of births and so on.

My favorite part was the actual tour. I was especially relieved to find out that all of the rooms are private -- labor and delivery, as well as recovery. We won't even have the possibility of bunking with some crazy screamer or something. Or, more likely, I'll have the comfort of screaming like crazy in privacy.

And, to top it off, there were two completely adorable new babies in the nursery. Both pink and wrinkly and wrapped so tightly they reminded me of bean burritos from Taco Bell. The parents proudly showed them off by raising them up to the glass for the hall full of pregnant women to see. I've never heard so many collective "awws" in my entire life. And as much as a part of me wanted to gag at the sheer spike in estrogen level, I couldn't help but want to grab them and rub our faces together. Newborns are so damn small and snugly looking.

Fifty days and counting ...

16 comments:

julie said...

That's so exciting!!! I also find it cool that your due date is the day of my friend's wedding.

Jennifer said...

one step closer!! Thats great.

BTW, I was one of those "crazy screamers" at the end for both my girls LOL. Trust me, it feels better to scream sometimes.

jennifer said...

oh and its funny what you said about the burritos.. my daughters name for the first couple months of her life was "mexican burrito" :-) (it was funnier b/c she is 1/2 mexican)

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

I don't think you can be too prepared for something like this either. You're pretty much in the home stretch now. Yay!

Ray said...

Wow only fifty days. I can't wait to see her! ;o)

Take, care.

Marina said...

Ahhh, so somewhere along the line they went from looking like aliens to looking small and snugly? :D I see pregnancy is warping your mind.

Kristin said...

"Fifty days and counting..." That quote was inspiring, I tell you :P

Um, yeah, I know this has nothing to do with this blog, but I was at lunch today, and I was looking around the cafeteria a little. So, there's this teacher in our school that looks like Jesus, and I was looking at him today at lunch, and I realized that he kind of reminds me of Jerry. And I was just looking back at some of your older blogs, and I realized that if jerry grew out his hair and grew a beard, he's totally look
Just. Like. Jesus.
Yeah.

-KrIsTiN-

Chelsea said...

They are so snuggly looking! Gosh, they should make an Advent calender like thing for the final 50 days!

the prepared plainsman said...

Kudos for being "over-prepared" as there is no such thing. But it will sure be hilarious for all of us here reading afterwards about the one thing you and Jerry forgot all about!

Ps. Have not been to a Taco Bell in a while, but I am certainly going to look a lot more carefully at their bean burritos the next time I am there!

Alexandria said...

Haha it's pretty apparent that your opinion of newborns has changed completely!

Marina said...

http://boobsinjuriesanddrpepper.blogspot.com/

Thought you might like this blog.

Tiffany said...

How exciting! I cannot wait to see pictures of her :-)

Janice said...

50 days! That's really exciting!!

Shalini said...

yeah... haha.. i think it's worth it. You will feel a tad bit better at least knowing the place where you will give birth, it's still a comfort.

50 days will go by quick and soon you will be a mama!

Randall said...

I agree with you that over planning is best. Now that you've been to the hospital you aren't going to be worried about it when you should be thinking of other things.

My college roommmate is now a labor and delivery RN and has always said how vital it is to have a birth plan, know what is going on and be your own advocate. It is your family, your body and your baby so you are in charge! Good for you for taking an active role... and not to mention, how exciting!

Wendy said...

Newborns...terrify me!
I am glad ya'll got to take the tour. That is a great idea! I waill have to remember to someday take my own tour to help potentially calm my nerves.