Wednesday, September 26, 2007

This and that

The goal around the house the past couple days has been Operation Don't Get Kelly Sick.

Jerry's morning show co-anchor passed along a lovely array of sinus infection, fever and chest cold last week and poor Jer has been miserable. I don't think I've ever seen him go through so many tissues the entire time I've known him.

We've been washing our hands to the point we should be skinless from the wrists down, disinfecting every surface we touch and sleeping in separate rooms as a precaution. With the amount of drugs Jerry's been downing out of our medicine cabinet, I know I wouldn't want to have to battle it without the "nighttime sniffling and sneezing so you can rest medicine." And that capsule cocktail is definitely verboten when you're pregnant.

The good news is that he's on the mend. Tonight we might have to do a final decontamination of the guest room, but he's certainly feeling better and sounds a little more like my husband and a little less like an angry Darth Vader.

Everything else is according to schedule. It always seems funny to me that just when I think life is going to slow down a bit, something comes along to stir things back up. Now that the Summer '07 Wedding Tour is over, I had expected to have time to relax a little before the baby arrives.

But there's still so much to do during the next six-plus weeks. I don't want to even start a list because I'm afraid it would singlehandedly inflict me with carpel tunnel syndrome.

On the other hand, my doctor's appointments are becoming much more routine: measure how far my uterus is encroaching the rest of my body, check the baby's heartbeat, check my urine for sugar, get weighed and go. I have one more bi-monthly visit, then I start going weekly.

I haven't had any signs whatsoever of impending labor, so I'm assuming this baby is going to make it to my Nov. 10 due date and then some. But if she isn't out by Thanksgiving, I'll start posting eviction notices and making things very uncomfortable in there by ingesting nothing but beans and hot peppers.

In the meantime, I have a little treat to enjoy today. Timberly got each of her bridesmaids a gift certificate for a one-hour massage. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to use it because laying on my stomach is exactly as comfortable as laying face-down on a watermelon. But when I called to schedule an appointment and informed the receptionist about my situation, he said "no one deserves a massage more than a woman in her third trimester." I wanted to reach my arms through my cell phone and hug him.

Apparently they have a few technicians who are specially trained in prenatal massage and I couldn't be looking forward to it more.

Just as long as I don't fall asleep and continue the weird dream I had last night about my daughter having a head the circumference of a large pizza.

Terrifying.

I think I'd rather get Jerry's cold.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

My wonderful husband got me a prenatal massage as a last trimester gift and it was THE BEST THING EVER. Some places use the special table with the pop out boobs and belly sections, others use pillows and props to make sure you are comfortable. Regardless, its wonderful.... really really wonderful, so enjoy it!

Tiffany said...

Glad to hear Jerry is starting to feel better, and I hope you don't catch it!!

Enjoy the massage, that sounds wonderful :-)

kristin said...

Sounds like you are in the clear of cold contamination. Enjoy the massage. Sounds like heaven on Earth.

chelsea said...

Glad to hear Jerry is feeling better! Enjoy your massage!!

its_just_ang from Xanga said...

The massage sounds great. I would think that being way pregnant would be the best time to have one, too. Enjoy it!

mercurial scribe said...

I SOOO want to get a prenatal massage! I've heard they're amazing, especially during the third trimester.

Have fun!

jsi said...

Angry Darth Vader - that's a serious sore throat and sinus infection!
Chicken soup and extra rest - hope he feels better soon and the grunge just avoids you completely. last thing you want is a cold you can't take medicine for.
Enjoy your sniffle free night!

Ray said...

"....I'll start posting eviction notices and making things very uncomfortable in there by ingesting nothing but beans and hot peppers."

^^That is just about the CUTEST thing I've ever heard! =]

And I hope you get the greatest massage of your life! You deserve it! Also good luck with all that you must do, before your little bundle of joy arrives. If you get too stressed with that to-do-list, there's always family to count on.

Take, care.

Anonymous said...

The problem with your to-do list is that you're trying to get everything done, everything ready, everything purchased BEFORE THE BABY COMES as though you'll never leave the house again, when in actuality your to-do list isn't going to end for the next twenty-please-God-let-it-only-be-one-or-so years.
Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy, put your feet up, read a book, you may not have a chance to do that anytime soon. Believe me, everything will get done, or not, and the baby will still come, and will still have everything she needs: you and Jerry and your loving families.
Enjoy your massage.

the relaxed plainsman said...

Agree with anononymous above, relax and enjoy the brief interlude, because everything will get done some way, somehow, just in time.

This was a fun post to read as it had a number of the "Kelly" trademarked laugh inducing words to get this day off to a good start.

Shalini said...

WOW!!! Sweet gift from your friend!

And no, you do not want a cough/cold etc in your 3rd trimester. Esp when breathing itself is hard and everything :)