Sunday, October 21, 2007

37 weeks

Subconsciously, I think one of the main reasons I stopped asking Jerry to take belly shots is because my body has morphed so drastically that I don't even recognize it anymore. It's one thing to know that the majority of your maternity clothes don't fit. It's another to look at images of your flesh stretched to the point that it ripped.

I feel like a horrible person that in the midst of this wonderful thing, I'm being completely vain. It upsets me that I'm upset by my stretchmarks.

But it IS frustrating to see purple and red trenches scarring your body, regardless of the reason behind it.

The rational portion of my brain knows they will fade over time, but that skin will never repair itself completely. I know because I have decade-old stretchmarks around my thighs after puberty hormones decided to give me curves practically overnight.

And there's nothing I can do about it. No amount of lotions or oils or creams will prevent them. Believe me, I've tried. I've spent a small fortune on topical anti-stretchmark treatments only to end up discouraged and frustrated as they've gotten worse and worse with each passing week -- even if I liberally rub in four applications a day.

Clinically proven to prevent them my growing ass.

Some days it doesn't bother me as much as others. It's just hard knowing that I might have another month or so to go. Besides the obvious work of carrying around a human being in my belly for that much longer, who knows how bad my skin will get?

I'm sure it will all seem trivial in a few weeks, but right now it's just one more thing weighing heavily on my ability to stay positive. Mostly I'm just ready to start the next chapter in my life.


37 weeks
37 weeks

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear your (not you're) upset, Kelly, but honestly, especially on your sides like that, they will fade and you won't notice them unless you're looking. It is incredibly tiring by the end, in so many ways, but it will be soon and stretch marks will truly be one of the last things you'll think about. Just be glad your ass isn't sticking out like your belly. BTDT. You'll be back in shape in no time.

Chelsea said...

Don't worry about them! They'll fade!

shimajan said...

it's okay! i'm sure they'll fade. i always wondered what celebrities/models did after they had babies...there must be SOME remedy!

the_plainsman said...

Hey, how about this great weather we're having!

Funny reading about Jerry's nightmare, he is so in tune with his role as first-time dad.

As for those stretch marks, bet they will not end up as visible as you imagine they will be. Whatever, look what you are getting in exchange!

Did I mention this great weather we are having?

Janice said...

I'm sure they'll fade :) Good luck! Stay positive!

Anonymous said...

Aww! I wouldn't worry too much. When my sister was pregnant her third child, she used to sit on the couch and cry over her stretchmarks. They were 10x worse than yours. Its been 3 years now and you really can't tell they were ever there! Chin Up!! Yours will be gone in no time!

Tiffany said...

I can't believe you're 37 wks already... I bet you are getting antsy. I'm sure everyone's different, but another "chin up" comment... my niece is 2.5 months and you can barely even tell my sister was pregnant. So, yep... keep truckin' ;-)

erica said...

You look beautiful.

Don't kid yourself. There's nothing better than making room for your beautiful child and being so close to her while she grows like this. I know it's hard, but do everything you can to remind yourself that it's not because you've been sitting around eating potato chips and cake, but caring for your little girl.

Marina said...

Good things come to those who wait?

Like you haven't heard that a trillion times by now, I'm sure.

You're still hot. :)

Marina said...

And not just because you can turn your home into something from a design magazine (seriously, I linked your flickr page to a friend of mine so she could see the pics of your renovations. they are SO. GOOD).

Anonymous said...

Girl your butt looks so cute in this picture!!! I couldnt even see the stretch marks, I went straight to your ass and was like whoa! Lucky girl! I bet you cant even tell you are pregnant from behind and people whistle at you on the streets!

Kristin said...

Stretch marks are a bitch, but celebs get rid of them, so there must be a way :P

-KrIsTiN-

Ray said...

I <3 you for taking this pic. And you are so not being vain, it's only normal to feel that way. But since they are on the sides like that, they probably will fade.

Take care and, "Happy 37 weeks!" =)

Kriston_Faye said...

Sorry but I think you still look great!

kristin said...

My mom had really bad stretch marks with my youngest brother (who was 10 lbs, 6 oz) and they faded pretty quickly. You'd never know she had a child that big :) So fear not.

Shalini said...

the tummy shot looks good, and don't worry I had them 50000 times worse all OVER, and they have faded pretty much all the way. Just take care of yourself and your lil one, and time and nature will take care of the marks. Besides it's the badge of being a momma!

Jennifer said...

All of us mothers get stretch marks, some just less or more than others. But we all have at least a couple. No they never go away, but they do fade, and in my opinion they are a badge of motherhood.

It looks like yours aren't too bad. I've seen some horrible ones before on other women. You want to feel better? Then go look at the marks on this woman...

(Be warned, they are BAD)
http://pregnancy.about.com/library/graphics/newstretchmarks.jpg


Whenever I felt bad about the few I got, I would go look at this picture and be GREATFUL that I didn't have it like that. Perhaps it will help you the same way it helped me.

Anonymous said...

kelly. u look hot. i'm sure jerry is loving that ass!

jsi said...

It's okay to be upset about something especailly this. It will be a mark you can see forever, a mark of the journey you have taken. Not a badge pf honor, but a badge of courage and hope. You gotta be strong to get that kind of badge, that motherhood badge of courage. Don't let them fade completely - look for them and know each step of the way you travelled to gain them.
Your children will look to you for the strength they need in life, and you'll be able to re-affirm to yurself, "I know I can do this...I know I can do this."

Anonymous said...

HA! That is NOTHING!! Really don't worry. Better yet, don't even let those stretch marks cross your mind because they are nothing. Women grow breasts and get worse marks. You grew a baby and only got those so please thank your lucky stars! Have you ever seen this:? http://theshapeofamother.com/
It's beautiful. I'd make the trade any day!