Monday, October 22, 2007

Taking my mind off the obvious

Yesterday was such a freakishly nice afternoon in central Pennsylvania, but we were two degrees away from breaking the 80 degree record high set in 1946. (I know this because I compiled the information for the weather page in today's newspaper.)

In effort to enjoy the day and break out of a funk caused by the miserable realization that I can no longer wear my wedding rings because my hands look like overfilled water balloons, I decided to grab my camera and take Toby on a long walk.

I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to take pictures of, but it ended up being a montage of all things railroad. This area was at one time a leader in the American rail industry, and there are remnants of it all over.

130
A rusty pedestrian bridge over a river and under a railroad.

133
I wonder how many times this bolt has been painted over the years.

135
Underneath the railroad.

137
A rail bridge that is still very active.

141
Little red caboose.

138
Rail wheel.

144
The logo stands for Pennsylvania Rail Road.

149
Gravely tracks that took some getting used to for Toby.

154
Speaking of Toby ...

14 comments:

Janice said...

Those pictures are wonderful! I love just getting out with my camera and having no idea what I'm going to take pictures of...but it happens anyway. Beautiful!

kristin said...

Looks like a very fun weekend outing.

petra said...

Great pictures! Most of the time you really don't have to know what you want to photograph. You'll just have to take your camera with and go for a walk, like you did. There'll always be things to take pictures of. Hubby and I are usually able to stretch a short trek into a long journey simply because we brought our cameras: a picture here, another there.

Also, your area looks like the kind of place I'd love to come and take pictures of. Lots of them. :-)

Anonymous said...

The bolt and Toby - WOW

Tiffany said...

I want your camera :-)

Ray said...

Looks like you had a great walk. Beautiful pictures. And how great that where you live at you get to see a part of history. Especially being able to see a railroad and that great red caboose. That's really great.

Hope the rest of your day is good.

Take, care.

the plainsman hobo said...

Good eye for the details that make a great photo, and now that you have a quality camera...Adams, Steichen and Steiglitz are going to have to move over. Wait, they are all gone, so you have the entire field to yourself! Each one of those shots is interesting I like them all!

Ps, didn't know they still used cabooses anymore, that must be part of a museum operation?

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your new camera! What kind is it?

Mia said...

I love the pictures!
Especially the Toby one!

And random, but to prove the difference between Texas and Pennsylvania, The high for us yesterday was about 90.
And today the high was 56. Brrrrrr...

gorakagaz said...

yay, pictures! they look really awesome...especially the one of Toby.

Emilee said...

Colorado weather is crazy! The weather was in the upper 70's on Saturday, and by Sunday morning it had snowed 3 inches. And then today it was in the 60's. There's a common saying here that goes, "If you don't like the weather in Colorado, then just wait 5 minutes." That seemed to be the case over the weekend!

Your pictures are great! I love the one of the bolt and the little red caboose. Your camera can capture a lot of detail!

Shalini said...

We got rain here, in the middle of the desert in Australia last night. Indeed the weather here is CRAZY as well!

I am in love with the photos.. that camera is AWESOME. We are trying to choose which one to buy and every time i see your pics i am tempted to shell out the bucks for it... hmmmmmm

Jennifer said...

I sent an email to your hotmail account with a graphic of all your belly shots. I'm not sure how often you check that account so I wanted to mention it to you so you can go look.

jsi said...

I like the tracks, the gravely tracks. I need an illustration for one of my sermons...can I use this picture? Its poignant and speaks plainly about a traveled journey.