Saturday, December 15, 2007

Month 1

Dear Alli,

It hardly seems possible that you're already four weeks old. You're growing so fast that sometimes I worry if I close my eyes for just a moment too long, I'll miss something spectacular.

This month has been one of so many firsts -- your first bath, your first doctor appointment, your first Steelers game and trip to the mall. Even if things don't go exactly as your father and I had envisioned, no one could ever say life with you is dull.

Granted, we're enamored when you fill up a diaper, but who's counting?



DSC_0253



One of the most exhilarating things about welcoming you into our lives is trying to figure you out. You're not shy about letting us know your likes and dislikes. In fact, it's quite obvious that you're not a fan of me sniffling my nose. A full-blown sneeze is fine, but if I dare sniffle while you're resting in my arms, you stir and fuss and shoot me a look that could melt titanium.

I'm more than willing to accommodate your needs, but that's one you're going to have to get over. It's called chronic allergies. And every time you shoot me that melty titanium look, I laugh and pray that gene skipped you.

On the other hand, you love having lotion rubbed on your feet, legs and arms. If you could pick one activity to fill the few hours you're awake every day, I'm pretty sure that would be it. Your whole body relaxes and your eyes sort of glaze over in utter contentment.

I'm seriously ready to book our first mother-daughter day spa trip.



DSC_0222



I've also taken immense pleasure in your mini milestones. The day we brought you home from the hospital, I watched as your eyes followed your father while he was walking around the room. I immediately exclaimed that we had created a genius baby. A GENIUS BABY!

My opinion only solidified when I was showing you your great-great-grandmother's rattle this week and you reached out and grasped it. I don't care if it was a fluke, you took that thing out of my hand with such fervor that it's almost impossible to say it was chance.

So a few years from now when you come home with a certificate of completion for some elementary school science fair, you'll understand why I frame it and mount it on the living room wall above your dad's and my wedding photo.

I'm already just so proud.



DSC_0296


Everyone told me that I would love you beyond measure, but I can measure EXACTLY how much I love you: a cow's worth.

When you started spitting up profusely and your doctor wanted to put you on medicine, I spoke to my lactation consultant and asked for advice. She recommended that I give up dairy because it's very hard for babies to digest.

I know, it doesn't make any sense. I mean, you're drinking my milk, so why would it matter if I had a little milk on my favorite food group -- cereal?

But I figured it was worth a try if it would save me from having to give you three doses a day of this horrible smelling liquid pepperminty stuff. And wouldn't you know it worked. I have now gone four days without any dairy, and even though I stare at your father lustily when he ingests a bowl of Cheerios before he leaves for work every morning, I know my sacrifice will be worth it in the long run when your digestive tract thrives.

I wouldn't give up cereal and ice cream for just anybody, lady.

You can pay me back by preferring vanilla cake for your birthday parties. I don't want to have to suffer through one more chocolate cake-loving freak in this family.



DSC_0312



Life with you so far has been one wild ride. I don't know what day it is or sometimes even what hour it is, but I do know that time sort of stands still when you're snuggled in my arms and you're looking into my eyes.

I can't wait for what comes next.

Love,
Mom



DSC_0259

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. That is just so perfect and sweet. I truly hope you have that saved and bound in a book for her when she gets older.

It is exactly what I want to do when I have a litle one. I've never seen in actually executed before.

Perfect.

~Kirs

gabrielina said...

Awww, this was a beautiful letter.

Tennille from Xanga said...

she's way to be beautiful. Happy 4 weeks Alli!

tossedrice said...

happy first month alli. there'll be many more.

gorakagaz said...

aw, that's so sweet! and she looks gorgeous. glad to see you workin' your new camera =]

www.myspace.com/pennypinktoes said...

Awww, I think I just might cry. That was beautiful, just as the bond between you and your daughter. I can only wish for the same tender moments the day I become a mother. Keep the pretty girl pictures coming...I just LOVE them!
-Cindy

Marina said...

<3

Advice: Get tested for allergies, and get a prescription for flonase. Works like a charm.

Ray/http://www.xanga.com/marilynmonroe4u2nv said...

Funny. I knew this post was coming. I kept thinking Alli's going to turn a month this Saturday. Crazy how time flies by!! And I had a feeling you would write a mother to daughter letter kind of post, because that's the kind of person you are. I loved all the pictures and the post was beautiful. She'll get a kick out of reading this over and over again, when she's old enough to read this. And when she's old enough to fully understand it as well.

Take, care.

"AND HAPPY ONE MONTH ALLI!" <3

"AND HAPPY ONE MONTH TO KELLY & JERRY AS NEW PARENTS!"

And to eighteen more years of parenting. Well in actuality for a lifetime, because I know (I've been told, heard) that being a parent is a lifetime thing. No matter how old your child is.

Ray/http://www.xanga.com/marilynmonroe4u2nv said...

OH and this was just too cute:

"I'm seriously ready to book our first mother-daughter day spa trip."

<3

petra said...

Gosh, four weeks go by so fast! Happy 1st month, Alli!

This letter a month is such a great, sweet idea. They'll be wonderful mementos for you in the coming years as well as to Alli when she grows up.

Candace said...

aw, this is so sweet. It was really touching when you signed it "mom" !! :) I hope that Alli gets the chance to read these someday :)

http://www.xanga.com/bronxbombette said...

That's so sweet! You must add these posts to your scrapbook or perhaps create one dedicated to your little letters to Alli! She's adorable!

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

You are awesome!!! And an awesome Mom who sees past the minor inconveniences of having a "little one".

{Hugs}

Jill

Wendy said...

This is amazing! I can hardly believe she is already a month old.

Shalini said...

wonderful letter, and i also do the same, saw it at dooce...

i love the pictures though. Alli is so gorgeous!

amy said...

Wow, that was a beautiful letter. Allison is so lucky to have you and Jerry as parents :-)

the smiling plainsman @ xanga said...

Beautiful.

And that one picture of Alli with your hands cradeling her speaks volumes as well.

Cannot believe it is four weeks already, and I'm just an interested bystander. Can't imagine how it has flown by for both mom and dad.

Nice you can lose yourself in the moments sometimes too, not a bad thing at all.

Anonymous said...

I didnt start crying until I read the Love, Mom part. It makes me so happy after everything you have been through you are finally someones mommy and you get to experience all of this! I am so happy for you, and your beautiful little family!!

Kristin said...

Awww.
=']

-KrIsTiN-

Its_just_ang said...

Time really has flown. It's almost too hard to believe it's actually been four weeks. Great pics...

Janice said...

That was beautiful. She'll love that one day :) Happy four weeks, Alli!

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say, she is the MOST cute baby I have ever seen at that age. Usually they are small, red and not so cute. :)

jsi said...

Merry Christmas
Giving up milk and ice cream - now that is deep deep love. Fabulous post tonight. She is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Awwww.....that's a beautiful letter. What a wonderful gift for your daughter in the years to come.

xanga.com/kristinmckenna said...

This is a great post. I'm sure Allison will love reading this blog when she's older.

Suzy xanga.com/thatsmrsmayor2u said...

such a neat letter! So sweet!!

Sarah (cafechick80) said...

One of the most beautiful things I've ever read Kelly. God I want a baby so bad!