Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Life is like a box of chocolates

I have mixed emotions letting go of 2007. It was such a wonderfully memorable year for me -- mostly thanks to Allison and all of the traveling we did attending weddings.

This year promises to be full of just as many firsts as we do our best to foster and encourage our daughter to grow. I can honestly say I'm looking forward to it, but I know there will be some challenging days ahead.

To help close out the year, one of Jerry's good friends stayed with us last weekend. He was visiting from Illinois, and the guys got plenty of reminiscing time. So when Rob left, I couldn't help but ask Jerry if he missed his bachelor days.

"It's easy to remember the fun parts," he said. "But each stage in life has a lot of difficult parts, too. I wouldn't give up my family for a little more free time."

I understood. I guess that's why I think it's so important to use most of your twenties to be a little self-indulgent -- live on your own, find your own rhythm, answer to yourself.

This year I'll start a new decade as I enter my thirties.

Thirty.

Oddly enough, I find myself feeling ready for it. Someone asked me recently if it was going to bother me. After giving it some thought, I realized it won't. Mostly because I feel like I'm in a good place in life. I never had a grand plan of where I wanted to be at this age, but this just feels right.

That said, we rang in the new year exactly the way we plan to spend it -- as a family. It was a little tough not inviting a bunch of friends over or accepting one of the party invitations we received, but our mini celebration turned out to be perfect.

We welcomed 2008 with a rousing game of Scrabble on the new deluxe set Jerry got for Christmas, made fun of the fact that we're old and out of touch because we didn't know half of the performers on Dick Clark's rockin' New Year's Eve broadcast, and toasted at midnight with sparkling white grape juice because I'm breastfeeding. Oh yeah, and in between we folded laundry and watched CSI reruns.

In fact, the highlight of the night might have been crawling into warm pajama pants right out of the dryer and breaking into the box of assorted chocolates Jerry got at work that morning.

Sure, the 21-year-old me would've called my night incredibly lame, but the 29-year-old me found it perfectly suitable.

I'm not sure what's in store for us this year, but I'm looking forward to Alli's first steps, her first dip in the pool and maybe finally getting the ceramic tiles that are stacked in the basement onto the kitchen floor.

DSC_0221

Happy New Year.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Jerry, Kelly, Alli and Toby. what a GREAT LITTLE FAMILY!
God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

That's so weird. My boyfriend and I stayed in and watched Forrest Gump last night.

Randall said...

Sounds lovely to me! Have a wonderful new year!

Chelsea said...

You have so much to look forward to this year, happy new year!

LeslieAnn said...

My boyfriend and I are 23 and 22 respectively and we had a low-key night. We went out for dinner, went and saw Juno (once we found the theater -- screw you Google maps) and then just chilled in our empty apartment watching the ball drop. :) It was nice. Who knows though, maybe next year we'll tackle downtown D.C.

.xanga.com/the_plainsman said...

"...but this just feels right."

Amazing when life fits, eh?

I'm thinking Jerry will think when he reads this: "but she had to mention those ceramic tiles!"

jsi said...

Happy New year
There is an amazing feeling to be able to say "I finally made it", not dreading that prospective birthday, milestone as it may be.
Nothing beats the pure pleasure of pajama pants straight from the dryer. What can warm you to the bone better?
Look forward to your new year with hope, joy and love. It will be one to remember.

Janice said...

I'm glad you had a good time. My boyfriend and I stayed in and watched Comedy Central because I had to get up early this morning and go to work :)

Kristin said...

Sounds like a nice night to me!
I stayed in with my girlfriend and watched MTV, myspaced, and ate fudge all night. It was wonderful.
My night sounds pretty similar to yours, so I'm guessing you had a fabulous time.
Here's to 2008!
Happy New Year!

-KrIsTiN-

Ray said...

I figured that's how you'd be spending your New Years, being new parents and all. =) I can't wait to read more and see how Allison grows, through your eyes. Through the eyes of a beautiful writer.

Take, care. And may 2008 be a great year: for you, Jerry, Allison & Toby.

P.S. You're right about your twenties being a time for yourself. I'm only twenty (turning twenty-one in April) and I hope I take advantage of these years. Because it won't last long.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who can't see the picture:(

Anonymous said...

Great Write!!! Wishing you an exquisite yr. ahead...(((Angel Hugs & Love...)))~The Island Concierge~.

Katrina said...

hi kelly,
i just wanted to say... i'm encouraged by your post. i'm a 21 year old who is quite frankly having a hard time just enjoying this stage in life. i know there's good and bad to each season of life (which i wrote about on xanga...) but... i dunno. i think i just want to be past this bachelorette thing.
maybe i'm searching for insight, and an answer that will magically make things better or easier to deal with. some nugget of demystifying truth?

lol not the classic new year's comment, but i do wish you and yours all the best in 08 :)

-brownize221