Friday, January 18, 2008

A reason to smile, indeed

Last month I wrote about observing one of my neighbors from our office window. I used to watch as he helped his wife into their car every morning to go to some unknown destination, but lately he has taken these daily trips alone.

I had the best of intentions to stop over before Christmas with a plate of cookies and an explanation that we couldn't finish them before going out of town, but having a five-week-old baby in the house didn't leave much time for baking, let alone packing.

My guilt has continued to get the best of me that I didn't find a way to make the time when the timing was right. The holidays really had been the perfect opportunity and I missed my window. I mentally berated myself every time I saw him walking to his car alone.

But today a different opportunity presented itself. Our neighbor had been carrying some bags from his trunk to his house while Jerry was outside shoveling our sidewalk. They exchanged introductions and Jerry helped him unload his car.

When he came inside, Jerry shared the good news.

Our neighbor is really nice. His house is beautiful. And his wife was inside, sitting in the family room, all smiles.

21 comments:

its_just_ang said...

That is good news!

Melissa said...

She's probably really happy too now that she can sleep in every morning instead of having to get up to go run the mystery errands with her husband. :-) Glad it turned out okay!

chelsea said...

I'm glad to hear your neighbor is OK, and its great Jerry was finally able to talk to him!

Tiffany said...

That's GREAT news! Your neighbor popped into my head the other day and I was wondering if you ever got around to the introductions...

.xanga.com/the_plainsman said...

I guess she retired from running the numbers! Seriously, sometimes situations turn out better than imagined. That makes us all smile.

Anonymous said...

That made me feel so warm and fuzzy inside!!

julie said...

That's wonderful. Thanks for the update.

Sheryl said...

Oh---Hooray!!!! I wondered what happened. Thanks for sharing the rest of the story.

LeslieAnn said...

What a happy little story. :) Made me smile.

mercurial scribe said...

Aw. That is good news!

Suzy xanga.com/thatsmrsmayor2u said...

oh that's so great!!! AW!!

Anonymous said...

aw i was prepared for bad news.
but my heart just melted after
that. thanks for making my friday much better

Jaxon said...

I'm so glad! After the last installment in the story I was afraid she had died. So why isn't he helping her and her little walker in and out of the car anymore. You must PRY!! We need to know these things. But good start, so very happy she's still with us.

fiona said...

Oh, thank GOODNESS!! I'd actually been wondering if you'd ever had a chance to meet him. Good to know everything's ok with them.

Ray said...

Awww, that is a reason to smile. Glad to hear the good news. When you never spoke of it again, I didn't know what to think. But thank goodness it all ended well.

Celcia from Xanga said...

Yay...that made my day!

Michael said...

I cried when I read your last post about the old man - great to hear :-)

Michael said...

btw, if we grew an inch every 8 weeks our entire life, assuming we lived 70 years, we'd be 38 feet.

Kristin said...

That's great news!
I'm glad she turned out to be okay!

-KrIsTiN-

Janice said...

That's great news!

jsi said...

Great news!