Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Summoning my inner superhero

Oh, what I would give for eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. Our entire savings account maybe? A pinky finger? Certainly a little toe.

Right now, Allison is crying. It's nothing drastic, just her way of voicing her opinion about how much this new routine sucks. And, at the moment, I agree with her.

The past two days have been challenging to say the least. At times, though, I feel like Wonder Woman. I've known for a long time that I excel under pressure. In college, my schedule was so packed that I couldn't exist without my daily planner, and yet, I thrived trying to juggle all of my responsibilities. It was almost as if I overburdened myself to see if I could handle it.

Parenting and holding a full-time job feels oddly similar. I am amazed at how much I can now accomplish in 15 minutes at home. That's enough time for me to make sure Alli is situated in her glider, get the mail, empty the dishwasher, sterilize all the bottles, start a load of laundry, feed the dog, go to the bathroom and eat breakfast.

Those same 15 minutes before I was a mom? Just breakfast. And, actually, it was probably more like 25 minutes. Getting that last Cheerio used to take EFFORT.

These days, I have brief moments of calm where Allison is content to sit in her swing or inspect the toys on her play mat, and that's when I spring into action. I speed around the house like a madwoman. If a neighbor were to peek inside a window during those times, they probably would think I was being attacked by a swarm of bees.

But all of it isn't without consequence. If I allow myself to really stop and think about it, I'm completely exhausted.

I'm sure everything will get easier once we've all adjusted to our new schedule. Speaking of which, Alli has finally given in to her own exhaustion and drifted back to sleep.

That means it's time for me to do the same.

Here's to hoping she allows me another solid three hours before I have to don my big red cape again.

14 comments:

Shalini said...

all moms are superheros

Shalini said...

I think it's awesome that you are able to handle it all. There are tough days but it's worth it when she looks at you and see's such an awesome role model.

Lioncloud said...

_Now_ you are really a Mom! Welcome!

its_just_ang said...

I really commend you for not just working, but actually wanting to get out there and work while being a mom. It's very admirable. If I ever have kids, I plan on working full-time, too, and I think it will feel great to know that I am able to work full-time and still be an awesome mom just like you. Keep up the great work!

Jennifer said...

You are right, us moms really are superheros.

Just wait until the first time you fall while holding the baby. (Trust me, it happens to the best of us). Its at that moment that we moms realize not only do we wear the cape, but we really have super powers too. Because some how, some way, you can fall down an entire flight of stairs, landing flat on your face, yet the baby won't have a bump or bruise and not a single part of their body hit the ground.

You on the other hand - your body will be destroyed but the baby will scream only out of fear, not pain. I swear, its the most amazing thing in the world. Every mom I know has gone through this... so be warned :-)

Rachel said...

You'll get into the groove! It's hard to squeeze in some things (like exercise!), but you'll always get done what really needs to be done. I work about 50-60 hours a week right now (tax season), and somehow everything stays in order. Moms are superheros!

Ray said...

LOL, at the swarm of bees thing. And you are a SUPER HERO! You go to work, take care of Alli, do housework and YET you still manage to squeeze in the time to write. That's awesome! Thank you for taking the time out, even though you're exhausted. I think everyone would agree with me when I say that, "We all appreciate it (you taking the time out to write). Since we all love reading you."

Take, care.

P.S. I hope things get easier and that by next month, you have this schedule thing in full swing. =)

zzzzzzzzzz Plainsman said...

The society for the preservation of litte toes is gonna be after you for even suggesting giving one up for 8 hours sleep! LOL Anyway, I'm sure a few more days and it will seem less hectic. And you will get that tresured sleep.

Heidi said...

Oh Kelly. I don't know how you do it. I'm still on mat leave and am having a hard time!

mercurial scribe said...

I'm so tired and I still have another 2 months before my girl is even born... I can't imagine how tired I'll be then...

We can do this, right? I mean, you're doing it and you work outside the home. I write from the comfort of my home office... but dang, the sleep I'll lack! I just keep telling myself "You can do this, you can! You took 18 units for three straight semesters while supporting yourself and commuting... you can do this!"

And all I want to do is sleep. I hope I'm like you and don my superpowers once Miriam is born. In the meantime, I think I'll go take a nap...

groggily,
- mercurial

Tiffany said...

I don't know how you do it :-)

jsi said...

The anthem of all moms - sing it loud, sing it proud!
I have to admit that my time before children was very similar. I accomplished what I needed to do, but after children it happens much quicker (frequently with several things at one time.)
I wasn't a time waster before the kiddos, but never got as much done as I do with them around.
And...
I've never had more to get done than now that they are a part of this great journey of life. There is so much laundry that needs done on a regular basis that I don't even use hot water, so that everyone who needs to get clean can at least have 5 minutes of hot water.

ainsleesmommy said...

You rock!! Really, you do. But being a mom really does stretch you as a person...think Elasti-girl LOL.

chelsea said...

Allison will grow use to it! You're doing a great job now, and I totally get the 15 minute rush thing.