Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm surprised she's not already in the Guiness Book of World Records

So it's nice to know I'm not exaggerating things. Allison is ridiculously long.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what the doctor said when he measured her yesterday at her four-month checkup appointment.

She is 25 and three-quarter inches, which places her at the 97th percentile on the standard baby growth chart. Or, in other words, if there were 100 babies in a room, Alli would be longer than 97 of them.

For weight, she's now 13 and a half pounds, and her head circumference is 16 inches -- both placing her at the 50th percentile for those measurements.

For her sake, I'm so glad they make jeans specifically for tall people now. I remember having the hardest time finding a pair of jeans that fit me when I was growing up. My ankles were always protruding out the ends like pale toothpicks.

Because I never wore socks.

Socks were NOT cool when I was in junior high. My mother loves to tell the story of how I walked to the bus stop in my treadless penny loafers -- which WERE cool, ironically -- when there was four inches of snow on the ground. And I always left the house with wet hair and no hat. Which would make her CRAZY. So crazy that the door usually shut behind me as she was yelling something about how I was going to get sick.

Psh.

Moms.

I remember my hair would form a bunch of tiny little icicles by the time my bus pulled up, and I spent the entire ride to school breaking the chunks of ice off and brushing them to the floor. Amazingly I had friends to sit with.

So years from now, when we're back-to-school clothes shopping and Allison tries on a pair of jeans marked "L," I'll be forced to tell her how they didn't have long jeans when I was growing up. And that she'd better appreciate them and all of their extra fabricy goodness.

In the meantime, I'll just keep buying larger and larger footed pajamas. We'll probably be at the nine-month size in a few weeks because they don't make baby sleepers marked "L."

Maybe by the time I have grandbabies, they will.

And I'll be forced to tell them how they didn't have sleepers marked "L" when their mother was growing up.

18 comments:

Marina said...

And how you walked to school barefoot in the snow (almost)? I can tell you already can't wait for that. ;)

kristin said...

I have the exact opposite of the problem. But I can understand too short pants is worse because that can't be fixed. Too long pants can be hemmed pretty easily. can't wait to see pictures of her swimming in her sleepers but her feet practically busting out of het bottom :)

Are You Willing to Change? said...

You are too funny! Are both you and Jerry tall?

Anonymous said...

you can always cut the feet out of her pajamas.

.xanga.com/the_plainsman said...

Have read a few articles and about the many lifelong benefits of being tall, and how they far outweigh any negatives like bare ankles in the snow (and being taller than many guys in her class when that matters). Alli is lucky to follow in your footsteps in the snow.

It will be fun to see if she has inherited your "stubborn" streak, too, manifested in refusal to wear hats in snowstorms! But somehow I'm sure that she will have inherited from both you and Jerry, the ability to make and keep freinds who won't care if she has icicles in her hair.

Anonymous said...

i love this one...our baby will be just the opposite! in the guiness book of world records for the shortest baby seeing as matt and i are both short.

haha
loffe me

Lisa said...

Remember when you wanted to drive your new geo metro without shoes or socks? Your mom definitely did not approve. Well, at least it was summer! And c'mon, who wouldn't want to show off that awesome little green car. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! It reminded me of my Mom telling me those "you don't know how lucky you are" stories. OH - and the pics of Allison a couple of days ago were so cute!! In some pictures she looks like you, some she looks like Jerry. Thanks for sharing, they were great.
*g

LeslieAnn said...

At 22, I still leave the house every morning with wet hair. Blow dryers are not my friend and if I am willing to make nice, I'll still have to straighten or curl too. Entirely too time consuming. Wet hair is fine. :)

Heidi said...

My kid is short and fat! Keagan (also 4 months old) is 18 1/2 pounds!!

mercurial scribe said...

Imagine how my Mom felt - I was 23.5 inches when I was BORN.

Oh yeah. My kid is so my mother's revenge! LOL.

Ray said...

"Amazingly I had friends to sit with." << You're funny! And wow, Alli is extremely long. You proved it by saying that out of 100 babies, she'd be taller than 97 of them. That's insane. And jeans marked, "L?" Where have I been?! LOL! Guess I don't know about them because I'm beyond short.

I think it's great that you're passing to Alli the gene of being tall. Because think of it this way: if Alli wants to be a model, there's no problem! Plus it's much better to be tall than to be short (I should know, being short isn't much fun).

Crazy about the having to buy nine month sleepers soon (I like how you call them sleepers. I call em' footsies).

Well, take care.

chelsea said...

I'm almost 18 and almost 6 foot, I totally get the whole long thing. They've yet to make prom dresses in L (I'm gonna have to get a floor length dress just so it can just reach my knees! Plus I so miss out on mini-skirts).

petra said...

I was off the height charts up until 2nd or 3rd grade. There are pictures of me in kindergarten where all the other kids barely reach my shoulder as I'm so much taller than them. It looks hilarious. :D Even though my predicted height based on the charts was 6', I'm glad I stopped at 5'8".

Gisela said...

she's a giant.

yet another sign that your baby is actually me.

have fun dealing with middle school teasing-related emotional scars!

:-p~~~~

Wendy said...

Wait, wait, wait. They make adult clothing in longs, but very rarely can you find kids pants that are long. She will be tall and skinny. When she's 6, she will have the waist of a 4 year old and leg length of a, 8 year old.

Candi said...

She is definitely long. :-) My son is about 27 inches and he's almost 8 months old and they tell me he is a "big boy." But he's not skinny for sure. He's quite the stocky little guy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Heh. Your kidhood sounds a lot like mine. I've always been tall and long-legged, and kids teased me about my ankles poking out of my jeans. Even some of the "long" pants don't fit me. And I still don't dry my hair, really. I remember one day in seventh grade when it was about 8 below zero and in the thirty seconds outside my hair had frozen.