Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jerry and I should not be allowed to own small appliances

Some of you might remember the Great Toaster Debacle of 2007 in which I nearly set our then brand-new house on fire trying to reheat three measly taco shells in our toaster oven.

Well, Jerry apparently made an equally spark-inducing move yesterday at work.

I could tell something was up the moment he walked into the house.

"What's wrong?"

"I had a bad day."

"How bad?"

"I almost set my office building on fire."

"WHAT? ... Oh man, that's pretty bad."

"I forgot to put water on my rice."

Apparently instant rice bags really do need to be submerged in water or each grain turns into a mini combustible engine.

"There were a bunch of people hanging out in the lunch room and someone asked, 'What's that smell?'," he said. "Then I saw the smoke pouring out of the microwave."

Jerry apparently ran out the back door carrying the smoking bowl with him and just as he thought to himself "at least the fire alarm didn't go off" ... it did. Bringing the local fire marshals (and a lot of finger pointing) with it.

In his defense, he got about four hours of sleep the night before. And I know from experience that even the most simple tasks can seem insurmountable when you're sleep-deprived and irritable.

I just gave him a big hug and promised to make rice for dinner.

On the stovetop.

Or maybe we should just stuff an entire box of instant rice in the microwave and shove a whole package of taco shells in our toaster and be done with it.

7 comments:

Are You Willing to Change? said...

Haha! I bet that made his day seem terrible! I can't imagine, and I'm sure that you were thinking, at least it was him not me, this time. :)

Lioncloud said...

We had a physician here at my workplace (a hospital) put a muffin in the microwave for 20 minutes instead of 20 seconds. The smell remained for _months_.

the caffienated plainsman said...

"Jerry and I should not be allowed to own small appliances" OR simply, "More sleep, please!" LOL

Ray said...

Hahaha! That's crazy to hear about the firefighters. But I'm glad the microwave didn't explode and that no one was hurt. And hopefully Allison doesn't inherit your guys bad luck for small appliances. LOL (you know I love you guys)! =)

Take, care.

Candi said...

Ha, so great. You gotta love sleep-deprivation. I think you have to lose so many hours to be "officially" initiated into parenthood.

Now... I wonder what that number of hours is... and I do hope I reach it soon so I can go back to sleeping. :)

Kimberly said...

Sounds like something I would do :)

ajandmac said...

That takes me back to freshman year of college and how many people burned instant mac & cheese or popcorn EVERY week. Evacuations at 3AM from burnt macaroni makes you hate stupid-ass people.

Then, suddenly, one day, you're opening your mac package and someone stops at your door to ask for help with their PC. You quick throw the mac in the microwave, hit a random time button, forget the "water", burn everything, turn the macaroni BLACK and evacuate an entire dormitory. "Hello. I'm the stupid-ass. It was me."