Wednesday, May 21, 2008

If only hugs could be mailed

I have always been a believer that positive thoughts can create a flow of energy that can be sent to people who really need it. My mom and I call it "sending good vibes."

There are two people in my life right now who need to be surrounded with that energy, and if you feel so compelled, I would love it if you would join me in sending it their way.

First, my friend Julie gave birth to her daughter Shobha Grace two months early after complications with pre-eclampsia. It is a very dangerous condition of high blood pressure that endangers both mother and baby, so her doctor performed an emergency C-section May 15. Miss Shobha weighs 2 pounds, 9 ounces, but is breathing on her own, and Julie tells me she is very expressive.

I rarely find myself at a loss for words, particularly when I'm at a keyboard and have the opportunity to mull them over, but I guess Julie's birth story really speaks for itself. And she's overcome tremendous adversity in her life, so I have no doubt she'll get through this. Especially with the help and support of her husband, family and friends.

z146031474

The other deserving recipient of good vibes is my friend Gisela whose dog, Lola, was recently hit by a car. If there was ever a pair destined to be together, these two are it. And there's no way to express just how deeply she has been affected by Lola's accident.

The good news is there wasn't any irreparable damage to Lola's spinal cord and she is now at home after a few days in the veterinary hospital. She may, however, have permanent nerve damage to one of her paws and can't use it to walk or play, which is hindering her recovery and affecting her usually lively spirit. The doctors have said it will likely take four to six weeks of healing, and that's a long time for a very concerned dog owner who is the definition of impatient.

lola

Please send Julie and Shobha and Gisela and Lola some love. Both moms read my blog regularly, so feel free to leave a comment for them here. I'm sure it will lift their spirits.

26 comments:

Julie said...

Praying for both of them, and everyone involved!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the next few weeks will seem long for both, but will likely come with marked improvements! Sending "good vibes" all around!

Anonymous said...

Maybe now it's time to tell the story of my granddaughter, Grace. She was born/taken 3 months early and weighed in at 1 lb 2 oz. She was given an 80% chance of surviving and she did. They took her home in March and by now she weighs about 10 lbs. and doing very well. She seems normal in every way but time may reveal problems unseen at this time. She's a real joy to have although every time the phone rang for 6 months, we got very nervous. These things are sometimes given to remind us of a loving Father in Heaven who wants to hear from us on a regular basis.

I hope and pray your story turns out as well as ours.

darcy

Gisela said...

Thanks Kelly, this means a lot to me and Lola.

Erinn said...

Lots of prayers and speedy recoveries for all 4!!

Julie said...

Aw Kelly, you just made me cry again. But good tears. Thank you. Of course you have my permission to post a picture. Shobha and I'll take all the good vibes we can get. ((hugs))

Rachel said...

I'm sending good vibes to all involved!

It's amazing what medicine can do today as far as making sure early babies grow and develop just as well as other babies their age :)

On another note, my cat was hit by a car a few years ago. He had his jaw wired and nerve damage in a front leg. They gave him 4 months to get the feeling back in his leg before they would remove it. A couple months later, he was prancing on all 4 paws, stalking moles and catching birds like nothing ever happened, so there is hope that Lola will be back to herself!

gorakagaz said...

sending good vibes...i hope Shobha (what a lovely name, btw) and Lola get better soon and your friends become stronger for having gone through this

phillyvegan said...

My younger sister had an emergency C-section on her son for the same reasons about a month ago. He's doing great now--medical science is AMAZING. I will send good vibes. -Meghan

Jessica said...

To Julie-my sis had her daughter 7 weeks early, back in March and now she is growing beautifully (up to almost 9 lbs!), she is developmentally on track and just doing great. So although this is a stressful scary time it does get better! Your family will be in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Sending goooooood vibes!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Prayers for Shobha and Lola!

Ray said...

Julie, Shobha, Gisela & Lola will all be in my prayers. <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with both..

My son was 2 pounds 2 ounces at birth..I had him at 26 weeks. He is a healthy, normal boy who will be 14 on June 30th! He was in the hospital for 2 months.

Anonymous said...

I will keep all in my thoughts and prayers.

Reading this makes the things in my life that are getting me down seem so minute.

Good Vibes coming your way!!

~ Kirs

Lioncloud said...

Kelly's cousin was born with only partially inflated lungs and spent his first three days in the neonatal intensive care unit. Despite that rocky start, he is now 24 and 6'4".

Everything will be _fine_!

And best wishes to Lola; I've been through the pet-hit-by-a-car experience too and it isn't fun.

Glrr

Anonymous said...

i am definately sending prayers and a hug to the both of them. stay positive through this hard time.

Kristin said...

Everything will be okay, you guys!
At least everyone in these stories is surviving =]

-KrIsTiN-

Anonymous said...

as a mother of a baby born 7weeks early,i could relate to wat ur friend might be going thru now.....though the road may seem hard now,everything would be alright soon for julie.my prayers for the mother and baby.
prayers for gisela and lola n wishes for a speedy recovery.
-sreenitha

the plainsman said...

Prayers and hugs (and good vibes)for Julie and Shobha Grace and for Gisela and her Lola. Have faith, both will grow strong.

Anonymous said...

Praying for both of them, i hope things work out!!

I just want you to know (this is random, but oh welll) you inspire me daily, i love reading your blog. You inspire me to be a better person, and to keep going when things get hard. I am ten years younger and feel like I am going through everything you went through. You give me hope that im going to make it. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I know what it can be like to have a pet when seriously hurt, its rather scary.

Sending good vibes to Julie, Shobha, Gisela and Lola.

mercurial scribe said...

For Julie: I had my daughter a month early due to pre-eclampsia but she got herself out before the doctor pulled her out. She and I send you love and prayers for you and your little one.

To Gisela: I can't imagine! Just remember your pupperoo is going to be fine, just hang in there. My golden/lab mix Zoe and I send you puppy love!

Kelly, you are so kind to post about this. Good vibes to you too!

Anonymous said...

good vibes for all :)
there is a man in VT, I think it's eddies carts, makes specialty carts for pets with lost, unusable appendages... He's very reasonable, and all carts are custom made.

Jen said...

Good thoughts going out to them both. My goodness that baby is soooooo teeeeeny tiny. I think that is every Mom's fear.

www.JenniferSuarez.com

Amanda, Kelly's co-worker said...

Julie and Shobha and Gisela and Lola,
Prayers and hugs to you all!