Saturday, May 24, 2008

Newspaper column

When I'm at home and someone knocks on our door, my immediate inclination is not to answer it. Before I can even think about turning the doorknob, I have to assess the state of our living room and decide whether it's company-worthy.

Usually I end up frantically kicking dog toys under the coffee table, tossing jackets on the coat rack, straightening couch cushions, sliding my daughter's play mat into a corner and, if there's still time, folding the afghan and slinging it over the back of a chair.

It doesn't matter if it's the gas company meter reader or a Girl Scout coming to sell cookies, I need to present the idea that my house is somewhat put together. I'm pretty sure the inclination is part of a woman's DNA. In fact, I think it comes with the second X chromosome.

But forget it if I haven't showered yet. There will be no meter reading or cookie purchasing. It could be a fire chief trying to tell me I need to evacuate, and I would be holed up in the furthest upstairs bedroom thinking, "Yeah, RIGHT! Let me put on a pair of jeans first. And some mascara. And brush my hair."

I've been forced to get over my insecurities in recent weeks. One of our neighbors is helping us install new windows. And because he is the one with the expertise and equipment, my husband has made it very clear that we are available day or night.

The first time Dave knocked, I panicked. The downstairs was a complete disaster. We had gotten home late the night before and gone directly to bed, and signs of it were everywhere. The kitchen was clogged with a stroller, car seat and dishes I hadn't put away. The hallway had a basket of dirty laundry waiting to go to the basement. And I hadn't even kicked the dog toys under the coffee table yet.

I reluctantly answered the door, baby in one arm, the other waving frantically trying to explain away the mess, as if the more I flailed it, everything would magically disappear.

Being the easygoing guy he is, Dave just laughed, telling me not to worry about it, and hauled in his tools.

Even worse, installing the windows required moving furniture. Which, much to my absolute horror, revealed pine needles leftover from our Christmas tree.

"Oh man!" I said, mopping at it with my socks because my hands were full. "How embarrassing!"

Then Dave said something that was so freeing, it felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

"Why would you be embarrassed?" he asked. "It's a house, not a museum."

And, just like that, I relaxed. He was right. Our house is lived in. It's comfortable, welcoming -- a place you can put your feet up.

Now when someone knocks, I still give our living room a once-over, but it's not as frantic and dire as it used to be. So what if the meter reader sees my couch cushions a little askew? So what if a Girl Scout notices a dog toy in the corner? Who cares that the afghan was being used?

When I went over to Dave's house a few days later, where he and my husband were installing more windows, his wife answered the door.

After Laura invited me in, she immediately asked me to excuse the mess, pointing to a solitary basket of laundry on a nearby table.

"Oh, please," I said, laughing. "At least yours is clean and folded!"

It really is part of our DNA.

6 comments:

dust bunnies "r" us plainsman said...

I consider those random pine needles found later throughout the year as a trophy of a past Christmas and also a harbinger of another great one to be!

I'm always a little spooked when I'm in someone's house for the first time and there is not one shred of evidence of their humanity!

A single Cheerio under the sofa, a pet hair, a pine needle. Give me something!

Cool column on one of those changes in focus of our lives.

chelsea said...

Agreed! My mom goes as far as hiding the dish drainer under the kitchen sink when company comes. Once Alli starts moving around you'll unknowingly have a clean house so she can't get into anything!

Ray said...

Haha! Good of Dave to make you see things from a different perspective. You're right, "So what if it's lived in?" It's only normal to have a few things out of place. What isn't normal is when everything's so perfect, all the time. The way they show it in television. ;o)

Take, care.

Kristin said...

It is, lol.
My best friend leaves my room looking like a disaster zone after she comes over, and I always clean it up as soon as I can.
I have to like, brace myself when she first walks into my house because I know for a fact that my room is going to look like shit later on, lol.

-KrIsTiN-

Wendy said...

We used to have a gigantic "junk drawer" in which we always kept mostly empty so that if someone showed up unannounced we could frantically gather everything up and shove it in the drawer. I think it is in our blood.

Marina said...

I'm glad someone said whatever made you let go of those insecurities. That happened to me as well, several years ago. I used to not answer the door even for the pizza guy without being fully made up with my hair done. Now I couldn't care less what the pizza guy thinks of me.

You are beautiful. You don't need mascara for people to see that. Confidence and friendliness go a much longer way.