Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Resisting the urge to make him a steak

When I got home from work last night, Toby broke habit and actually got out of bed to greet me.

Allison was up, so I was in her room feeding her. Toby appeared, silhouetted in the doorway from the light at the other end of the hallway, and just sort of stood there for a minute. Then he ambled in, much slower than usual, and dropped down at my feet, resting his head on my toes.

That afternoon, Toby had gone to the vet for a few vaccinations. I knew he would likely be sore, but this time they really slowed him down. When Jerry had called to say goodnight, he told me that Toby was so tired and out of it that he had opted to skip a walk. That would be like a gambling addict passing up on a winning lottery ticket.

After I set Alli back down in her crib and went to close the door, Toby didn't even attempt to move. So I walked over, picked him up as gingerly as possible, and placed him on the floor in the hallway.

We sat there for awhile, just me and him, and he was shaking. His ears were back. He couldn't even sit the way he normally prefers because his legs ached. Everything about his body language made me pain for him -- our usually exuberant, energetic, crazy dog.

For Toby, the night was long. He got up with Jerry at 4 a.m., but had trouble making it down the steps. Jerry placed him back into bed with me, knowing he'd never make the leap on his own, but then he just sort of limped around and eventually found a spot in the crook of my knees.

In the morning, I knew it was bad when a doorbell rang on TV and Toby didn't even lift his head, let alone growl and bark and look at the door as if it had just slapped him in the face.

As the day has progressed, he's starting to show signs of improvement, but it reminds me to appreciate Toby's young, chaotic days before they're all gone.

The next time he digs a dirty sock out of the laundry basket, I'll probably just smile.

13 comments:

sarahhhh said...

yikes, that sounds kind of like over kill for a few shots. i wonder if they didn't accidently hit a nerve. if toby was particularly hyper during the shot maybe the vet opted to not aspirate (check to see if the needle was in a vessel)... that could screw him up too.

or shots just really freakin hurt. poor toby.

Ray said...

Glad to hear Toby's feeling better. And it's good to hear that he's slowly becoming his old self again (after vaccinations), because he sounds like a really great dog. =)

LeslieAnn said...

Aww, poor Toby. It's a good thing he has you and Jerry to take such good care of him. I'm sure he appreciated all of your efforts during his discomfort.

Anonymous said...

aww, my dog was the same way after hers. we wound up taking her to the ball park, she loves going byebye. he will be back to normal soon

kriston said...

Sophia gets old lady limps and such these days and I give her a little infant tylenol or motrin in her treat and she will usually perk up. She's about that weight. Next time and in the future when he isn't so chipper maybe give that a try.

Traci said...

Have you asked your vet about giving him baby aspirin? We used to do that for our boston terrier and it made her feel better.

Sarah said...

My dog was like that after a kennel cough vaccine, and we found out he was allergic. We almost lost him, but we got an antidote and he got better fairly quickly. I'm glad to know that Toby is recovering nicely.

If anyone here is considering boarding a pet, make sure you research the kennel cough vaccine. Just sayin'.

Candi said...

Awww, poor Toby!

This evening I posted a small (sarcastic) amendment to a recent blog about the reasons why watching Little House on the Prairie bothers me.

I felt a little sarcastic. And I thought of you. ;-)

Lioncloud said...

I hope Toby is feeling better today!


Glrr

the plainsman said...

Yeeesh! I dislike when reactions like that occur. Over the years, a couple family cats over the years have reacted like that after dental work anesthesia. Glad that Toby is recovering, might be wise to discuss his reaction with the vet and/or another down the road.

Nikki said...

Ah! Make sure the vet knows that whenever he goes back next year. They might give him something else, in addition, to ease such a rough reaction. (ie, Benadryll, pain reliever, etc. depending on the problem) Get better Toby!!

Anonymous said...

"you do the tobleroni...."

Jennifer said...

yikes! Our cat has had similar reactions in the past, so whenever she gets shots now we remind the vet and he gives her a shot of benadryl first. It's helped her immensely.