Saturday, May 3, 2008

Some people just don't get it

This is a must-read if you're a mom blogger.

The excerpt that most speaks to me:

Will you resent me for this website? Absolutely. And I have spent hours and days and months of my life considering this, weighing your resentment against the good that can come from being open and honest about what it's like to be your mother, the good for you, the good for me, and the good for other women who read what I write here and walk away feeling less alone. And I have every reason to believe that one day you will look at the thousands of pages I have written about my love for you, the thousands of pages other women have written about their own children, and you're going to be so proud that we were brave enough to do this. We are an army of educated mothers who have finally stood up and said pay attention, this is important work, this is hard, frustrating work and we're not going to sit around on our hands waiting for permission to do so. We have declared that our voices matter.

My comment, buried at No. 560, sums up my thoughts:

This is an issue all of us who write publicly -- about our children, no less -- wrestle with on a regular basis. I think it's easy for those who don't participate in the blogging community to point fingers and speculate how detrimental it's going to be to our children's social and mental well-being in the long run, but to me, it's just a scapegoat.

I liken it to this analogy: Blogging is like any tool -- when not used with care and precaution, it could be harmful and damaging. But when used correctly, think of all the amazingly beautiful things it can build.

Bravo.

That said, hopefully I'll have a little more time (and oomph) to write more soon. Thank you for all of your ideas and suggestions on the last post.

6 comments:

Marsha said...

I'm with you on this one. And I don't even get paid for it.

Marcy said...

I've been reading dooce.com for a while, but since becoming a mother myself Heather has become something of a hero to me. On a few occasions I have gone back to read her archives from when Leta was my son's age, and man does it help to know someone who's been there, done that, and was brave enough to talk about how crappy it can feel at times (and also remind me of how wonderful it can also be).

Ray said...

Your analogy said it perfectly. And I just want to say, "Thank You" for writing. It's been great reading your life and somehow being a part of it (just by reading it).

When you first gave birth to Allison, I thought you'd stop writing for awhile. But you didn't. And for that I commend you. And for that I am grateful. Why? Because it would suck not to be able to read you.

I know you can't write forever (and maybe one day you'll stop), but please don't stop anytime soon. I think it's great that you find time to write: with all that you have going on in your life and work.

That makes you all-the-more awesome.

Take, care Kelly.

Lioncloud said...

Fear not. When blogger's children grow up they can become stand-up comics and get their revenge on television.

the_plainsman said...

Although I did not have PC's or laptops in the classroom, I tend to think of blogging as natural as the conversations people used to have with their neighbors across the street or over the fence; the converations mothers had at the playground or store, or that kids themselves had before texting. Sometimes those comments reached home, too. All survived.

I really do not think that there will be much of an impact on Allison's generation at all from a parent's blog. By the time she and her classmates are in middle school, the net will be replaced by the grid, or whatever is next, and only archived blogs will be left from this time, on a memory stick or perhaps in a book.

Much of what we all blog about today, will become private and personal again, as if by magic.

Jennifer said...

wow can I relate. I've gotten so much crap over the years for blogging about my family and I am going to post a link to this on my site b/c she put how I feel into words I've never been able to find.