Friday, June 27, 2008

Already waiting for the next time I can jot it on my calendar

Even though I feel completely run down and overwhelmed from my irregular sleep schedule, I got a glimpse of my old life earlier this week and it rejuvenated me in more ways than one.

Months ago, Timberly planned a trip home from Nebraska and the two of us set aside an entire day for whatever. I penciled it on my calendar as "TIMBERLY!" and looked forward to it as if it said "JAMAICA!"

Maybe more.

We didn't have any plans other than finally going to see the "Sex and the City" movie. And there aren't too many people I'd wait for to see such a major motion picture event. I mean, at one point when the series was on, I bypassed money for groceries just to pay for HBO every month. And the entire collection is the shining pinnacle of my DVD collection. Waiting for that movie was like denying myself air.

But as every SATC fan with a vagina knows, the movie is more than just spending 2 hours in a theater. It's an event. It's a lifestyle. As Carrie Bradshaw herself says in the intro, its about young women in search of "love and labels." Personally, without a budget for designer threads, I translate it to mean friendship and fashion.

And that's exactly how Timberly and I ended up spending our day. We made lunch, went shopping, grabbed a quick bite for dinner, saw the movie, got fishbowl-sized cosmos and capped it off with a junk food run on the way home at 1 a.m. -- all the while talking freely. The kind of conversations that only unfold with the comfort of knowing you won't ever be judged.

It's always hard saying goodbye because there's the underlying uncertainty of when we'll get to see each other next. But we joked that there is one good thing about living in different time zones.

For the first time ever while shopping together, we can now buy the same clothes.

And we did. A cute red skirt with white polkadots.

This morning I got a text message from her that read: Wearing the skirt.

It might as well have read: Thinking of you.

DSC_0298

7 comments:

Erin in Scranton said...

I'm so glad you got to see Timberly. She looks good!

LeslieAnn said...

Still haven't seen the movie yet.

*sigh*

Glad the two of you got to spend time together!

cweber said...

yeah 4 good friends! (those from NE are the BEST!) wish i could make it up to see u...jeff is going home at months end in july...sad, cant make it...

`christy

Chelsea said...

Both of my best friends live pretty far away too, so when I get to see either of them its a huge event. Cake should be involved for days like that!

Ray said...

"Sex and the City" was a great movie! Funny that you write about it because, I saw it today for the second time with my sister (who was seeing it for the first time).

I'm a new fan and I too have the whole series boxset that I must say, I got for a bargain. =) But I can say with certainty that it's one of the BEST shows to ever hit television air waves. I think I love it a bit more than Desperate Housewives. Which is weird because: I actually get to enjoy Desperate Housewives while it's still airing (although I am REALLY upset about the ending of the recent season finale). When Sex and the City was airing for the first time I was only about 12!

Well, I'm glad you had a great girl's day out with your friend Timberly.

Take, care.

Timberly said...

Miss you already!!!!!!!!

the_plainsman@xanga.com said...

Here's to good friendships that can last a lifetime!