Sunday, June 15, 2008

Somehow a new tie just doesn't cut it

I'll never forget the first time Jerry took me to meet his sister's family. I vividly remember sitting on the couch and observing while he interacted with her three children.

We had only been dating a few weeks, so I was still avidly looking for clues about his personality, likes and dislikes -- anything that would give me a clearer picture about what type of man he was.

Strangely enough, I found myself caring about things with him I hadn't ever cared about before. And although I wasn't sure I even wanted children, at that moment I knew he was someone I could have a family with. I could see the love he had for them. It was so natural and effortless.

Almost five years later, with a child of our own, I now know my initial instinct was more than accurate.

Jerry impresses me every day with his love for our daughter. It goes way beyond changing diapers, lugging the stroller and folding tiny pink laundry. Beyond play time, bath time and bed time. Beyond getting over his fear of vomit. Beyond being a role model, a teacher and a guardian. Beyond dispensing hugs freely and swooping airplane rides even more. Beyond putting her needs before his own.

It's how he never questions any of it. Like it was a role he was born to fill.

Happy first Father's Day, Jerry. I couldn't do this with anyone else.

DSC_0513


DSC_0516

13 comments:

Ray said...

OMG, that was so adorable (awesome writing and stunning photos). I want to cry. I hope to have that someday. "HAPPY FATHER'S DAY JERRY!!"

"It's how he never questions any of it. Like it was a role he was born to fill." << We can ask a million questions, but life is about living. It's like the time I asked my cousin, "How do you know if you love someone?" To which he answered, "You know you love someone when you don't have to question it." Perfect answer, because it is so true. As with life, and other things. Sometimes, you just know. And that must be one of the greatest feelings.

On another note: You're truly blessed. I hope you know that.

Take, care. <3

Lim Jun Jie said...

I second to Ray. I like they way Jerry look at allison and how allison studies jerry so intently.

Anonymous said...

Awww. Great, now I am all teary eyed.
Happy Father's Day Jerry!

~Kirs

Lioncloud said...

They're like peas and carrots (to use a Forrest Gump reference) in that second photo, aren't they!!!

Cece said...

That is so adorable from the blog to the pictures.
Tell Jerry we all wish him a Happy Father's Day.

Mia said...

That last pictures of Allison and Jerry is absolutely precious! Happy father's day, Jerry!

chelsea said...

Aww! Happy Father's Day Jerry!

Jessica said...

yaaay!

and... does his hair really grow that fast? i thought he just got a hair cut...

NatalieDeltaGam said...

that is the cutest hat/outfit i have *ever* seen, by the way.
happy father's day, jer!

Wissh said...

You've said it all. Happy Father's Day, Jerry!

kelly said...

Jessica,

I laughed at your comment. No, his hair doesn't grow that fast. These were taken a few weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

This one totally made me cry!!! Jer is a natural....and that last pic....priceless!

whitney/weber said...

wow...either these are old pix, or jerry is the envy of EVERY woman I know (self included) did his hair REALLy grow that much already!?

Happy 1st Dads Day Jer!

~Christy