Monday, July 21, 2008

Month 8

Dear Alli,

A few days ago you turned eight months old. The changes abounded this month -- so much that I probably could've written weekly letters.

This may sound strange, but all of it added up to one climactic revelation: Your name finally makes sense to me. I struggled with the decision throughout my entire pregnancy, and it still didn't click in my mind when we brought you home.

You were milliseconds away from being Elizabeth or Evelyn, and even up until just recently, I would study your face and question which one suited you best.


DSC_0259


I had wanted to name you Vivian so badly, but Dad nixed it because it's a mouthful with our last name, and I grudgingly conceded.

One of the main reasons we settled on Allison was because of the nickname Alli. It just seemed so fun and personable -- like someone we'd want to get to know. Everyone took to calling you that right away, but it didn't roll off my tongue the way I thought it would. It just felt strange.

Not anymore.

Now that your personality is really starting to shine, it makes complete sense. Like you were born to have that name and I must've just instinctively known when I saw you for the first time, all beautiful and soft and new.

I hope you love it someday as much as I do.


251526455209_0_BG


One of your father's biggest fears is raising a picky eater. It's right up there with spiders and accidentally wearing gang colors in a city after dark.

Almost everyone we know has some sort of food hangup. And for two people who love consuming everything from ziti to kiwi, from turkey to tofu, from hummus to rump roast, from sushi to salmon, in a wrap, on a bun, baked, fried, braised, hot, cold, pureed, diced or sliced, we just don't get it.

If it's edible, what's not to love?

Thankfully, you have adopted our household motto.

When we first introduced you to solids, we defaulted to textbook parenting. All of our reading materials instructed us to introduce one new flavor every four days and keep a vigilant eye for any signs of food allergies. First came sweet potatoes, then carrots, then peas, then green beans.

Then we opened the floodgates.

After awhile, you started protesting when we wouldn't give you a bite of what we were eating. So we did. And you've gleefully sucked down every last minuscule flake of chicken, floret of broccolini and crust of bread.

You're happiest when you're given something you can ingest with your own two hands, and we've been delighted to comply. It's so amazing watching you experience flavors for the first time that sometimes it's easy to get ahead of ourselves.

Like the time we went to an Indian restaurant and I opted to give you a bite of my mashed lentils. Yeah, I forgot about the zing of curry in there. Good thing you're able to drink water from a glass.

But once your eyes stopped watering, you yelped for more.

Keep it up lady. I promise to show you there's so much more to experience than the dinosaur-shaped nuggets and sugar-coated crap companies market to kids.


DSC_0228


When you're not busy shoveling bananas into your mouth, you're on the move. You know how to crawl -- I've seen you do it -- but you apparently prefer what we call the Army method of traveling.

If you were to enlist right now, you'd blow everyone away at boot camp when it came time to maneuver under barbed wire on your belly through the mud. When you're tired of crawling, you flop to the ground and your arms take over. You paw at the floor and drag your torso around as your butt swishes back and forth in rhythm.

Your newly acquired motor skills came in rapid succession. One day you were stationary, the next we couldn't stop you long enough to change your diaper or jam a shirt over your head.

I assumed all of this independence would cause you to explore more, but only if someone is still in sight. You are very much a people-person, and checking out something new isn't gratifying unless someone else is there to experience it with you.

And if I walk from the hallway to the bathroom? You suddenly appear at my feet. From the vanity into the closet? Little fingers on my toes. From the fridge to the kitchen sink? Slap, slap, slide.

Once I deliberately walked back and fourth in the hallway until you figured out what I was doing and got pissed.

I just laughed and scooped you up and showered you with kisses.

In a few years I'll be chasing you around like that, so forgive me while I revel in it.


DSC_0375


There are some things I know to expect. Like rolling comes before crawling and standing comes before walking.

But this month you've shown the ability to grasp entire concepts and it's completely blowing my mind.

Just the other day while we were in New York, your grandma and I took you to your great-grandma's house on our way home from shopping. When it came time to leave, all three of us were waiving goodbye to you and repeating "bye bye" like maniacs.

And then, with a hint of a grin, one of your little fists started opening and closing.

If my jaw wasn't attached to my face with skin and muscles, it would've hit the driveway.


DSC_0326


I must've had a similar look when I watched you figure out how to elicit music from your new toy train. You've always loved music, that much I already knew. But now that you can produce it on your own, you can speed through three honkin' DD batteries in a few days.

You just sit next to the train's engine and paw at the base until a song comes on, then you sit up straight and revel in the tune. With a huge grin, you move your arms to the beat and shake your torso until it stops. You always seem so surprised that something so wonderful would ever come to an end, which is probably the same look I get when I scrape the bottom of an ice cream container, but lucky for you, your pick is self-rejuvenating.

Again and again you hit the base of the animal train.

To give you an idea of what that does to an adult, I woke up in the middle of the night recently singing about giraffes that run very, very fast.

If I didn't adore you, that thing would've found its way into the trash compactor on garbage day.

Just one of the many ways I can measure my love for you: One sanity's worth.

And you're totally worth it.


DSC_0413


Love,
Mom

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, what a great post. What a gift to have - all these posts to look back on. I think you are right - the name Alli fits her perfectly! *g

Wendy said...

Gosh! I can hardly believe its already been 8 months!

julie said...

I so know what you mean about not being sure about the name choice. I still wonder if Shobha was the right choice. I end up calling her Punk or Punkie more than anything else.

Jennifer Suarez said...

Adorable!

HeyJade said...

Haha, is it the Amazing Animals train with the giraffe, elephant and monkey (and the optional and additional hippo, lion, zebra, panda - ok, maybe we're the only ones who felt the need to get the whole set)??? I got that thing for my son when he was 9-months old and he would get so sad and upset when it would drive away from him. A few months later, he loved it to death and would chase it everywhere and those dreaded songs would play over and over and...yeah, you know. My son is 2 1/2 now and he still plays with those silly animals and sometimes the train and I don't mind the songs so much anymore 'cuase it reminds me of him being little.

theZanyOne said...

These are the posts I looked forward to every month. The love that shines forth with every word is just amazing.

Thank you for sharing this with your readers.

Ray said...

One of your most beautiful letter's yet! They say that babies pick their parents: "I think that's true for you guys with Allison." She picked you. And you three are perfect for each other. It couldn't have been a better fit. I don't believe that with everyone, but with you three I do. And it's a beautiful thing.

I also think you picked a perfect name. The name Allison is really great, and, "Alli" as a nickname is even sweeter. I don't think that they'll be a person in sight, who won't love her as soon as they meet her. Now and in the future. She sounds so wonderful.

Thank you for sharing with us "Alli's life."
It's a pleasure reading. Especially with such a GIFTER WRITER like you. And I hope you never stop.

Take, care. <3

Ray said...

P.S. I love that hat in the last photo! You buy Alli the cutest hats. ;o)

cafechick80 said...

Awe. Alli is absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

I too wasn't sure of the name Allison when I first read it, from reading your posts it didn't seem like a name you and Jerry would gravitate towards. However, after I saw you using her nickname 'Alli' I knew why you chose it. Seeing how her personality is developing 'Alli' is a perfect fit for your daughter.

Amanda said...

I may have commented this before, but you are such a good momma. Alli is such a lucky kid :)

Lioncloud said...

"All Aboard!"

Glrr

~rita at www.xanga.com/thatsmypoint said...

This had to be one of the most beautiful entries you've posted. It made me tear (rhymes with fear) up several times. But "It's right up there with spiders and accidentally wearing gang colors in a city after dark" made me guffaw like a crazy person!

It's great to have you back :).

the_plainsman@xanga.com said...

Another classic; your keen powers of observation and the ability to put those observations to words is a gift Alli will treasure for her lifetime. Beautiful.

"Allison" for those formal times like business meetings and wedding invitations, "Alli" for when she is chowing down curry lentils with the 'rents at the Bombay, oops, Mumbai Taj! A great name choice that fits her well.

Kristin said...

aww.
I can't even believe it's already been eight months.
Her first birthday is gonna be here faster than you can say "Wow."

-KrIsTiN-

Candi said...

Awwww, what a sweet post and that last picture of her is just too much cute. What a doll!