Friday, July 4, 2008

My declaration of independence from uneaven grass

It took a few more days and quite a few more steps than I originally imagined it would, but our patio is finished!

No more chairs sinking into the wet grass when we eat outside. No more having to move an entire patio set every time we mow. No more wobbly ground underneath our table.

Just writing that makes me want to rip my top off in victorious celebration like Brandi Chastain did after scoring the game-winning penalty kick in the 1999 Women's World Cup championship. Yes, every time I step out my back door and see flagstones, I feel THIS good.

In fact, I was so exuberant throughout the entire process that our friend Roger, who alongside Jerry did the back-breaking labor, said my reaction to each step was like getting the grand finale. The dug hole? AWESOME! A layer of shale dust? AMAZING! A layer of sand? FANTASTIC! A few flagstones in place? SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!

He couldn't possibly imagine I'd have any better reaction to the final product.

Well, unfortunately for him, he won't be here when we reassemble the yard this afternoon and I can finally see everything put to its intended use. It may possibly be the first and only time in my life that I attempt a back flip. Ranks right up there with my first bra.

And even though Jerry and I both have to work today, I can't think of any better way to inaugurate our new patio than with a Fourth of July barbecue. So what if it's dreary and gray? So what if I have to miss fireworks tonight? So what if we don't have any sparklers?

I'm going to eat a HOT DOG, sitting at the TABLE on my new PATIO.

Let freedom ring.

9 comments:

chelsea said...

Congrats on the new patio and Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

I probably don't need to say this, but there BETTER be pictures coming!

~rita @ www.xanga.com/thatsmypoint said...

...and, hopefully, before you eat that hot dog, you'll take some photos of the new patio to share!

HeyJade said...

Congrats on your new patio...what a perfect day to break it in...Independence Day! Haha. Hope you guys have a great holiday weekend!

S said...

Happy 4th of JULY!!! and yes pictures!

the_plainsman@xanga.com said...

Hope the weather has cleared there so you all can enjoy it through the entire weekend.

(Ps. That photo better show you eating that first hot dog! Jerry & Toby eating theirs, too!)

Kristin said...

Congratulations on the patio!
Happy Independence Day =]
-KrIsTiN-


p.s. Pictures of patio soon? =P

Tennille said...

No pictures?!

Emale said...

Happy belated 4th! You've got pics coming, right? I remember I posted a WHILE ago and you wanted music updates, well, I have them. Today.com is paying people to make blogs, so I'm making one on music criticism. Let me know what you think.

emusic.today.com