Thursday, August 28, 2008

Strangely, they're still afraid to try mashed up chic peas

I consider myself to be pretty adventurous when it comes to food. In fact, some of my regular snacks at the office get ongoing commentary from my coworkers.

Yesterday, for example, someone left a homegrown cucumber in the communal food spot, so I washed and sliced it, pulled my tub of hummus from the fridge and offered it to everyone.

Needless to say, I ended up eating almost the entire thing myself.

But my "never say never" food policy came to an abrupt halt when I visited my local deli counter earlier this week. There, among the bulbous cuts of ham, turkey and roast beef was a concoction I hadn't ever seen before.

And it looked nasty. N-A-S-T-Y.

Curious, I leaned in to inspect it more closely and read the fine print: Mac & Cheese Loaf.

My eyes continued on to scan the product which looked a lot like unidentifiable compressed meat with macaroni noodles and little chunks of processed cheese.

Then I puked in my mouth a little.

"Is that good?" I asked the deli slicer.

Not knowing whether I was genuinely interested or just plain appalled, she proceeded cautiously.

"Well, some people seem to like it," she said.

"It looks really gross," I said.

With that, she laughed and relaxed a little. "Yeah, I think so too."

But ever since I left the store with my regular pound of ham and half a pound of muenster cheese, I can't seem to stop talking about it. I've told everyone about the mystery meat at my local grocery store.

So a few of my coworkers have agreed that if I buy a few slices, we'll all down it at the same time.

Like mystery meat shooters.

Later today if I get a free minute, Allison and I are going to walk to the store in hopes that the loaf is still there.

I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

12 comments:

the hungry plainsman said...

Probably tastes like that leftover mac & cheese that sits cold in the refrigerator, but with bits of ham? I might try it in the group mystery meat shoot, but what I truly fear is Spam!

When you and Jerry get to NYC, you have to experience Zabars together on the Upper West Side. More real deli meats that you can imagine, plus tons of hummus, taboule and cheeses. http://www.zabars.com/

Anonymous said...

You should also try head cheese, because I've similarly always wondered what a slice of that would taste like!

Erin in Scranton said...

My co-workers also think I eat weird stuff -- like "moroccan stew" and "greek salad" and "Indian curry." Ah, I love northeastern PA.....

Jennifer Suarez said...

I'd totally try it!

Mac and Cheese? Gooood!
Baloney? Yuuum!

Together... well... I'll admit it sounds pretty strange (and probably looks even stranger) but how bad could it be?

Of course, I have plans to try kangaroo meat at the fair tomorrow so I truly have no problem with "strange"

Jessica said...

That's not food! I don't think your adventuresome spirit will be hurt any if you don't try it - but you better tell us what it's like if you do give it a taste!

Ray said...

You guys are so brave! Let us know how it goes when you do your little experiment. =)

Maria said...

You want adventerous? Head down to cajun country in LA, some of the food is incredible (gumbo,boudan) but I saw some stuff down there that made my stomach flip- hog's head cheese, crackles...yikes.

LeslieAnn said...

Hmm... Sounds gross but I'm willing to try just about anything. I'd try it. But my boyfriend on the other hand, he doesn't even eat gravy. GRAVY!!!

Kristin said...

you know what, I tried that a long time ago before I went vegetarian, and it's actually really good. It does look super nasty, but it's good. Trust me, it's not gross at all =]

-KrIsTiN-

Rach said...

My husband is FASCINATED, being the Mac and Cheese aficionado that he is. Please post a picture of this lovely concoction if you happen to purchase it. Sounds delectable.

TarHeelKate said...

So did you get it??? :)

ajandmac said...

eeeeeeew