Thursday, September 25, 2008

Leaning on a list

I have to write my newspaper column today, so here are a few things rambling around in my head in the meantime:

  1. I can't for the life of me decide what Allison should be for Halloween. You'd think it was going to affect the future of the planet. I want to be creative and make it myself, but Jerry keeps reminding me that I'm already feeling pulled in 293 directions. On the other hand, I love fun projects like that. And I never had a store-bought costume growing up. BRING ON THE GUILT.
  2. I took Alli to a parade yesterday afternoon in honor of a group of troops who will be deploying to Iraq today. As the men marched past, the moment almost faded into slow motion for me. They looked so young. And I wondered what their mothers were thinking.
  3. October is going to kick ass. My parents are visiting, my good friend Gisela is planning on driving here from Philly, then, at the end of the month, my aunt is staying with us. Woot!
  4. Jerry got his cast off yesterday. His pinkie fingernail, having been buried inside for five weeks, was almost as long as the finger itself. Gah.
  5. We took Allison to a last-minute doctor's appointment the other day because she's been tugging at her ears and we feared she had an infection. Nope. The doctor said she's confusing the pain with the molars she has coming in. MOLARS. At 10 months. This kid is a genetic freak when it comes to teeth. I blame Jerry.
  6. Speaking of, Jerry was making a music video of Allison's stuffed animals doing inappropriate things to each other a few days ago. Not realizing the camera was on, I had an inadvertent naked cameo when I walked out of the bathroom after my shower. Needless to say, many threats were exchanged until it was deleted.
  7. Toby got the pleasure of chasing the pear-stealing groundhog out of our yard this morning. He came in the house extra fired up. Toby Lerone: Great Defender of the Universe.
  8. I've been trying to teach Alli the word "duck." Then I realized the word could be easily mistaken for something else, and the thought of her uttering that over and over and over for weeks on end, including while we're in public, scared the effort right out of me. Duck will have to wait. So will truck, puck and luck.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

write about the naked cameo...then post it on this blog. I just laughed out loud at that little blurb and I would love to hear more!

Celina said...

I remember when my daughter started saying "fetch" which came out sounding like "bitch". We were in a store and she picked up a ball and said: "Mommy let's play Bitch!"

thezanyone said...

My friend's oldest was just a wee one when the movie "Multiplicity" was out. When a nine month old says it, it comes out as "moldapussy."

That still tickles me.

Jennifer Suarez said...

Actually Allison's teeth are right on track. 10 months is when she should start getting molars. (It ranges between 10-14 months so she is on the early side of the curve though)

I always found this website to be helpful in that area:

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/baby/teeth/order_appearance_teeth.asp


My daughter got her first 2 teeth at just 4 months old, and right now she's only a year and a half, and already has 3 of her 2 year molars fully in, the other just poking through the pink. So trust me, I understand the freak tooth gene all too well :-D

Jennifer Suarez said...

I see it cut my link off... perhaps this will work better:

Teeth - Order of Appearance Website

the plainsman said...

Speaking of "luck," good luck; many words sound inapropriate if uttered out of context by a one year old. Even if you avoid the obvious ones, bet their will always be one or two instances you will laugh about later on!

the plainsman said...

sorry editor, "there" not "their"

Maria said...

Oh. My. God. I'm in shock over the cast/finger nail thing. I couldn't even finish reading the post, I had to comment. EWWWW!!!

erica said...

My mom made all my costumes when I was really little. Then after a couple of years she made parts of my costume. And then we just bought the things. She did make me this really great cow costume when I was four. She said that I apparently wanted to be a cow because I wanted to say "moo".

But if you're set on making something you should do something simple, but I'm all about buying things : ). She should be a duck for christmas! Tons of people dress their kids up as pumpkins though which is always incredibly cute.

Ray said...

-Can't wait to see what you do decide to dress up Allison as. And I think making it yourself is a great project for you to do. It's fun and you're doing something for Alli. Win, win situation. Just don't stress yourself out on what to make. Whatever Allison dresses up as she'll always be adorable. ;o)
-MOLARS at 10 months! WOW! I have never heard of that before. I'm twenty one and I don't even have my molars. LOL! Again, wow.
-And that must have been an interesting moment when you found out about your naked cameo moment. Hahahaha! Jerry's funny: with making the stuffed animals do dirty things.

cafechick80 said...

A really fun costume that you could make yourself that would be very simple would be an alien. You would just need a little hat and you could fancy some antenae on top, and then a onsie that you could have these words printed.......

My daddy is from mars (on the front)
my mommy is from venus (on the back)

fun!

AND then Jerry could wear a shirt that says,

Earth girls are easy.......or something.

Ray said...

Stupid me: I'm thinking about my WISDOM TEETH (that haven't came in)!! DUH! Don't slap me now! =P

Ashley said...

Have you been to Old Navy? They have the cutest monkey costume.

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/category.do?cid=37297

Lori :-) said...

We had an Uncle Chuck. My mom taught my brother to call him "Uncle Charlie". HA! Kids are fun! LOL

Anonymous said...

Two incredible videos you need to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAYWPV3F41Y

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrFRbHMrurk&feature=related

B said...

haha, that is great! cluck, suck, buck! There are a whole lot of words!

Jennifer said...

Heck, I'll probably just pop a beret on my son and draw on a little, curly mustachio with eyeliner... and do the same for me. :)

Mandy Mae said...

I never saw it coming, but my almost 2-year-old goddaughter pronounces "frog" as the f-bomb! Although it's probably embarrassing for her parents, it was quite cute.... until someone told her to start saying things like "Frog you!" lol

Sheryl said...

When my next door neighbors had their first child (20 years ago---she just got engaged this week!), my goal was for her to say my name. "Katie---say, 'Sheryl'." Each and every time she would say, "Duck!" and crack up. She still calls me "Auntie Duck" so I think you'll be safe!