I have to write my newspaper column today, so here are a few things rambling around in my head in the meantime:
- I can't for the life of me decide what Allison should be for Halloween. You'd think it was going to affect the future of the planet. I want to be creative and make it myself, but Jerry keeps reminding me that I'm already feeling pulled in 293 directions. On the other hand, I love fun projects like that. And I never had a store-bought costume growing up. BRING ON THE GUILT.
- I took Alli to a parade yesterday afternoon in honor of a group of troops who will be deploying to Iraq today. As the men marched past, the moment almost faded into slow motion for me. They looked so young. And I wondered what their mothers were thinking.
- October is going to kick ass. My parents are visiting, my good friend Gisela is planning on driving here from Philly, then, at the end of the month, my aunt is staying with us. Woot!
- Jerry got his cast off yesterday. His pinkie fingernail, having been buried inside for five weeks, was almost as long as the finger itself. Gah.
- We took Allison to a last-minute doctor's appointment the other day because she's been tugging at her ears and we feared she had an infection. Nope. The doctor said she's confusing the pain with the molars she has coming in. MOLARS. At 10 months. This kid is a genetic freak when it comes to teeth. I blame Jerry.
- Speaking of, Jerry was making a music video of Allison's stuffed animals doing inappropriate things to each other a few days ago. Not realizing the camera was on, I had an inadvertent naked cameo when I walked out of the bathroom after my shower. Needless to say, many threats were exchanged until it was deleted.
- Toby got the pleasure of chasing the pear-stealing groundhog out of our yard this morning. He came in the house extra fired up. Toby Lerone: Great Defender of the Universe.
- I've been trying to teach Alli the word "duck." Then I realized the word could be easily mistaken for something else, and the thought of her uttering that over and over and over for weeks on end, including while we're in public, scared the effort right out of me. Duck will have to wait. So will truck, puck and luck.