Monday, November 3, 2008

I would've paid that girl 10 bucks to do that

We had a great weekend at our house.

My mom's sister drove from New York to volunteer with the Obama campaign in Pennsylvania and they assigned her to our hometown, allowing her to stay with us for a few days.

We showed her the house, took her to our favorite local pizza place, made the mandatory stop at the candy store, rented movies, and she even got to check out the annual Halloween parade.

But when the McCain float passed by, complete with a waving Sarah Palin, an adorable unsuspecting little girl made the mistake of trying to hand my aunt a flier. Of all the other people lining the street, she walked directly to the uber liberal.

"No thank you," my aunt said.

But I could tell what she really wanted to say was: "I JUST DROVE FIVE HOURS TO SUPPORT OBAMA AND SPENT ALL AFTERNOON KNOCKING ON DOORS, SO IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO TAKE THAT PROPAGANDA ... WELL, YOU'D HAVE BETTER LUCK HANDING IT TO OBAMA HIMSELF."

Jerry said we should dig out all of the McCain fliers in our recycle bin and put them on the nightstand next to the guest bed the next time she visits.

You know, as a little welcome package.

8 comments:

NatalieDeltaGam said...

That's funny about parades and people knocking door to door. I guess b/c GA is usually republican they don't even try though I heard that PA is in between (leaning more to Obama, but still by political standards in between). So interesting!

Anonymous said...

What is the difference in your aunt knocking door to door and a little girl handing out fliers?

Lioncloud said...

The difference is that I was working from a list of Democratic voters, and we were simply trying to "get out the vote," not change anyone's mind. A number of the people I talked to didn't know where their polling place was, so it was worth it, just for that.

It was actually fine for the little girl to try to give me the flyer, but it would have been a waste of paper for her.

The Sarah Palin replica on the float was very good!

Traci said...

Can't anyone see the humor in situations anymore?

She drove all that way to get out the vote for the candidate she believes in only to be handed the opposing candidate's material. It would be just as funny if she was supporting McCain and a girl handed her an Obama flier.

It's funny.

Kelly, I get it.

Ray said...

Haha! That would make her day. =P

the plainsman said...

Oh, OK I thought it was the real Sarah Palin there, or Tina Fey - I think one them was in central PA over the weekend and the other on SNL. I agree, very funny that your aunt gets to be handed a flier by a little girl for McCain after driving and working all day for the Democratic cause. Jerry had a great idea, but only if the favored candidate wins. (But isn't she realing this....?!)

Kristin said...

haha.
nice =P

-KrIsTiN-

Jessica said...

Love Jerry's idea! lol

We have a friend who is strongly pulling for Obama. I think Obama will win, but Ray says that if McCain wins we should find one of his political signs to stick in our friends yard the next day. :)