Sunday, December 21, 2008

Reminiscing about my reporting days

Our house got us a present for Christmas.

A clogged kitchen sink.

Which, I can tell you, is wonderful when you've just finished eating dinner and you have a dishwasher already filled with a dirty mess. In our typical style, we crammed the rest of our plates in and crossed our fingers that the problem would resolve itself overnight.

It did.

Temporarily anyway.

We woke up to find that all the standing water had magically disappeared, leaving a gross frothy residue of whatever morsels had been tucked away inside the garbage disposal. I sort of knew it wouldn't be the last of the sink issues, but I got to work cleaning off Allison's high chair anyway before making breakfast.

It took a moment, but the water rose steadily and never receded.

"Now what?" I asked Jerry, who looked equally frustrated.

"Draino?"

It was a start.

The label said it was safe for garbage disposals, but the increasingly disgusting water didn't budge. So we gave in and called a few local plumbers hoping someone would be available to come out on a Saturday.

The first said his "sink machine was broken."

The second was basically an advertisement for his top competitor, Roto-Rooter. He stopped just short of dialing the number for us.

Eventually Jerry had to leave for work, but not without giving me strict instructions to weld my phone to my skin for fear of missing the call. Yes, I'll admit I do have a tendency to leave my phone laying around in places I can't hear it, but he was forgetting that I wanted our sink back just as badly as he did.

On his drive, he must've filled in his mom about our problem because a few minutes later, she called and came over with her drain snake and more tenacity at tackling our problem than either of us had mustered. She pulled over a chair, used a plunger as I bailed out the mess and tried to figure out a way to wriggle the coiled metal snake through our ancient sink, but it wouldn't fit.

We worked right up until the Roto-man knocked. He came in as I delicately explained that I may or may not have emptied an entire container of Liquid Plumber Gel down the pipes in hopes of averting his nearly $200 fee.

Fortunately he had a sense of humor and had seen much worse in his days. Including looking past my paint-stained sweatpants.

He dug out the piles of grocery bags in the cabinet under the sink and shined the beam of his gigantic flashlight on the pipes to inspect our setup.

"Do you have access downstairs?" he asked.

So I took him to the basement where the new PVC pipes connect to the original galvanized pipes in a coiled mess on the ceiling.

"Is everything else working alright?"

"I flushed the downstairs toilet to check and that was fine," I said.

He shined his light around the coils. "That's the toilet right there. And that's a sink. How about the shower?"

"We don't have a shower downstairs."

He walked over and pointed out the pipe had been capped off. "Well, if you ever want another one, it'd be easy to do."

I know our house has a lot of history, but it's always fascinating finding out more about it. I'd give anything to see what it looked like when it was built in 1901. Entire walls and doors and windows have changed since then.

He determined his course of action and asked to borrow a bucket and a towel. He covered our washing machine and uncapped the end of a pipe and all of the foul standing water that I had been dumping chemicals into all morning cascaded with such force into the bucket that half of it went right down his sleeve.

"Oh, UGH! Use the towel! Seriously! I don't even care."

He just laughed.

"This is nothing. You should see some of the jobs I've done."

The curious ex-reporter in me couldn't help but start asking questions.

"I used to work in Baltimore. A landlord called for one of his tenants explaining that the place was filthy, but he had been unsuccessful at kicking him out. Anyway, I went in and the whole apartment stunk like ... ever been in a chicken coop?"

"Yes, actually."

"Like that. Like the ammonia from feces."

"Oh, gak."

"Anyway, he led me to the sink, kicking a path through all the junk on the floor, and it was completely filled with standing water. But, get this, a dead rat was on the counter with its head sticking in the water. Like it had purposely drowned itself or something."

I almost vomited.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?"

"I asked him if he knew there was a dead rat on his counter."

"And did he?"

"Yeah. He just shrugged. So I told him if the dead rat didn't bother him, then a sink full of water shouldn't either. And I left."

On the other hand, he said he was the regular plumber for Sen. John Murtha, one of the top-ranked Democrats in Congress. The one who infamously called his own constituents "racist" and "redneck" before the election. One he, incidentally, had been running in to reclaim his seat, resulting in regular spoofs on "Saturday Night Live."

"What's he like?" I asked.

"Really cool actually. But definitely a politician. It was probably three years in between my first and second time there and his wife remembered everything about me -- my middle and last name, knew I had moved here from Maryland. She even asked how my mother was."

"I wonder if they write that stuff down somewhere. You know, keep a record," I said.

"Wouldn't surprise me."

We went on to talk about working in industries that never sleep. Like the news business, Roto-Rooter is open 24/7. Like me, he is scheduled to work Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

After grinding the gunk out of our centuries-old pipe and flushing the system with water from the kitchen sink a few times, he told me we should be good for awhile.

Having watched his technique, I asked him if it would be crazy to try it myself if it ever happens again.

"Well, if it doesn't work out, we're always open," he said with a laugh. "Just be sure to have a bucket ready."

I couldn't help but find his daily routine interesting. More times than not he probably deals with regular calls at regular homes like mine. But there are a whole range of extremes on the other ends of the spectrum.

The whole afternoon, although spurred by something I would've preferred to avoid, reinforced my belief that everyone has a story.

You just have to ask the right questions.

7 comments:

Ray said...

That's cool that your plumber guy was nice and a conversationalist. I'm pretty sure most of them just do the job and they're out of there. Hope your sink doesn't clog up again. And the guy with the rat in his sink filled with water, "HOW ON EARTH DO PEOPLE LIVE LIKE THAT?! People like him need help!"

"Like me, he is scheduled to work Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day."

^^ Oh no, that's horrible! I'm sorry to hear that. But I forget that you work for the newspaper at late hours so it's bound to happen. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas/New Year's regardless! ;o)

avagdro said...

Hello,Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all of you.May this New Year bring lot's of Joy and tremendous Happiness to all..

Cheers….Keep smiling:)
Gifts to Chennai|Gifts to Bangalore|Gifts to India

the plainsman said...

Good professionals, especially those who work 24/7 are what makes our world function. I like how he told you that shower information for free, instread of perhaps coming back one day and telling you he'd have to start (and bill you) from scratch if you wnated one.

Find a good one, like your plumber, (who hopefully bills fairly) and one should remember them like the Murthas did. Yes, those who are very successful in politcs (as well as business) have developed that talent for remembering people -- it is how they function so effectively without being skilled at anything else!

The local tax assessor's office may have photos of your home going back maybe 50-60 years, if they have not thrown out the old ones; sometimes they give the old photos to the local historical society, too.

Molly said...

I'm having the EXACT same problem. Guess I need to stop ignoring it and call a plumber. Thanks for sharing!!

www.oldgeorgiahouse.com said...

what a neat story about your plumber!! pretty cool! i read all this last night and didn't comment...but the first thing i thought of this morning (swear to god!) was 'oh no, did kelly put draino in her pipes!?!'
....we replaced all our cast iron with pvc EXCEPT the ones that ran vertically down walls (like, from our second floor bathroom to our first floor bathroom) so we have either cast iron or galvanized there and both CANNOT take draino...it corrudes/rusts them from the inside-out. so you won't even realize you have a problem and BOOM! your pipes are gone.
just thought i'd pass it on...one of those random tidbits i learned getting my masters in h.p....and of course, every time we get a clogged drain i'm always searching for ways to clean it the "old house way"...haha
merry christmas!!!!!
natalie

theedithr said...

Oh my yes! Everyone has a story. That's what I love about the news business.

I love meeting people and asking them about what they do. It really helps you see life from a different perspective and realize they aren't JUST a plumber.

Kristin said...

haha.
nicee.
I'm so sorry you have to work on Christmas/New Years
that's horrible =[

-KrIsTiN-