Thursday, January 1, 2009

I think my New Year's resolution is in here somewhere

Jerry and I opted to make the risky move of getting up with only a few minutes to spare before the New Year's Eve countdown. He needed to pee, and I wanted to put the containers of veggies we had been munching on back in the fridge.

While he was in the bathroom, I busied myself cleaning the kitchen, putting away the leftover meatballs from our crockpot and soaking the mess that remained.

When Jerry emerged, he immediately asked me to check on the countdown as he worked on popping the cork.

"We're good," I said. "We have two minutes left."

The clocks on our stove and microwave clearly showed we had ample time.

"Would you just check?"

"Dude. We're GOOD," I said, wielding the sink's spray nozzle to hit the spots where the marinara sauce had solidified around the edges.

"Just check."

"Alright, alright," I said, turning off the water to make my way back into the living room.

"Oops!"

"What do you mean 'Oops'?"

"We missed it!"

I was laughing so hard I could barely get the words out. When I skidded around the corner to peek at the TV, there was Dick Clark manhandling his visibly reluctant wife, streamers flowing in the background as Ryan Seacrest screamed something about it being 2009.

I made my way back to Jerry who handed me a flute of champagne.

"WE MISSED IT?"

Maybe it was the two giant bottles of wine that we had already consumed that made me see the situation as hilarious, but I couldn't help bursting into hysterics.

"WE MISSED IT?"

I nodded.

"I WAS PEEING AND YOU WERE DOING DISHES! ... THAT'S HOW WE RANG IN THE NEW YEAR?"

Suddenly, I had a brilliant idea.

"Wait! Do-over!" I said, handing Jerry the remote. "Just rewind it. There's a leap second this year anyway. It won't be that far off."

So we kept an eye on the festivities blurring by on the screen until we saw the ball rise to its original position, then Jerry hit play and we partook in our own do-over countdown, trying to ignore the sound of fireworks already bursting somewhere in town.

"HAPPY FAKE NEW YEAR!" I yelled.

We were laughing so hard, it was hard to kiss and clink glasses.

2008 will be hard to top in our house, but one thing's for sure: Our DVR has already earned its keep for 2009.

11 comments:

the plainsman said...

Funny! Cheers to the DVR! A Happy and Healthy 2009 to you, Jerry, Allison and Toby. And nothing fake about that wish!

Chelsea said...

Gotta love DVRs! Happy New Year!

Timberly said...

We watched the ball drop on one channel for the EST New Year's, then we watched the tape-delay of another countdown special on another channel for CST New Year's. At that point, it was kind of any climatic.

Bitchy Mom said...

ROFL! I missed it too!!! I was up all night waiting with my husband and brother in law and about 5 minutes before midnight, my daughter woke up and so I ran into the bedroom to nurse her back to sleep and by the time I came out, I was watching the SAME EXACT scene on TV that you described!!

Ugh......

Happy New Year and I hope you have a fantastic year filled with love, happiness, health, and everything else you could possibly hope for!

God bless,
Sarah-Jean

xoxoxo

erica said...

Haha. Yay DVRs! And Happy New Year!

bornforthis85 said...

I've been reading your blog for quite some time (since you were on Xanga) but I've never actually commented until now. I just wanted to say that I love your style of writing, that I think you're incredibly funny, and that you have a beautiful little family. I've just started my own blog, you should take a look--I'm always game for contructive criticism! I hope you have a ver blessed New Year, and I look forward to many more witty and touching posts from you in 2009!

Ray said...

Hooray for DVR's! Hahaha. That was smart of you to think of that. My cousin's wall clock was wrong as well, but we knew the cable box had the right time. I hope this is a great year for all of you. Happy 2009! =D

jncweber said...

Hilarious! We missed the ball drop too so dont feel TOO bad!

Rach said...

Hysterical story, but it sounds just like what we heard last night on our New Years walk. We heard the fireworks and the main bars in the area counting down the year and then all of the ruckus that followed. Then, about 7 minutes later, we hear one lone house party counting down from "8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" to "Happy New Year!!!!" Our best guess was that it must have been a TiVo New Year!! Aren't DVR's great!
Happy New Year!

Shal said...

Yeah we played Mario Galaxy for New Years... there wasn't a countdown here for it.. (we're about 14.5 hours ahead of EST (we're in Australia, but not in a big city that has a normal time zone, and NYE celerbrations)

I wish we had DVR, whenever we move back to the states, we're so getting one again!

Catriona said...

My friends and I "paused" the New Year because we got so caught up playing drunken RockBand that we didn't leave enough time to pour the champagne. Thank god for DVR.