Monday, February 9, 2009

At least now I know her first sentence won't be 'My milk needs poured'

Conversation over lunch, after Jerry got back from getting lunch meat:

"So I heard a little boy at the grocery store ask his mom, 'How much money do I have?' and the mom said, 'Does you have. How much money DOES you have.' and I was going crazy. CRAZY! I wanted to say, 'Um, actually, he's right.' But I didn't. ... What do you do in that situation?"

"Oh man, I don't know. I think I would've said it, but tried to keep it light. I wouldn't have been able not to."

"I think it bothered me as much as if I had seen someone actually physically abusing their child. Like, kid, you really have to pay attention in school if you want to graduate."

"Yeah, we're not going to get everything right as parents, but at least we'll get that right."

"And I know you'll keep her from saying regional stuff like 'needs done' and 'red up your room' and 'run the sweeper.'"

And just then, as Jerry rattled off all of the ridiculous colloquialisms in this area that raise the hair on the back of my neck, Alli chimed in while banging her fists on her highchair tray.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

12 comments:

Jennifer Suarez said...

I wish I could tell you I'd have corrected her, but I don't think I would have. I'm a bit of a chicken, plus I wouldn't know how to do it properly. I can't think of a way to say it that wouldn't come off offensive.

YOU F-ING IDIOT... doesn't really go over well. ;-)

Marina said...

No worries, you guys. Studies show (at least according to one of my psych classes) that kids actually pick up the language of their peers and surroundings, more than their parents. So that kid will probably turn out to be fine as long as his friends and contacts at school aren't as dumb as his other. (As an example, think of kids who moved here when they were young from another country, so their parents speak with accents and poor grammar, but the kids grow up speaking proper english).

On the other hand, it probably means Alison will end up saying those regional sayings you hate so much after all. Haha.

Marina said...

And by "his other," I meant "his mother."

Julie said...

Good god. I think I might've burst if I'd heard that.

Just keep using "to be" at home and hopefully Alli will realize it's a part of the senteced that's supposed to be there.

Sarah said...

:O That is appalling. The English major in me (in other words, ALL of me) is just screaming right now!

Ray said...

Wow. Can't believe the mother actually thought that "DOES" was correct in that sentence. I don't consider myself the smartest person in the world, but I know that, that's COMPLETELY WRONG! 0.0 Poor kid.

And with you as Alli's mother I know you'll never have that problem. ;o)

Sarah Jo said...

I does think that I would've said something. Or at least tried to get the boys attention and whispered to him "You were right and your mom is F****** stupid!"

:)

Wendy said...

My MIL is a smart woman, but some of the things she will say drives me crazy. The biggest one...while telling a story about a conversation with someone she will say, "And then I says to Patty..." I just want to scream and tell her that she SAID something to Patty - past tense, not present.

The Plainsman said...

I thought that talking in regional coloquialisms was a dying art form. Guess Alli will be picking some of them up. :-P

I'm with you about gramatical errors, like I says to my buddy the other day, but some of the descriptive ones may not be so bad. I am willing to bet that a few have crept into your vocabulary from Western NY, too!

And I'll make that bet as soon as I red up my room and run the sweeper.

the plainsman said...

And I though while reading that last line, but forgot to add before, "With that response to Jerry, Allison is surely your daughter!"

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki said...

OH MY GOSH! I feel the same way about the phrases in Texas. Here are a few I DESPISE: "I'm fixin to leave." "I accidentally tumped the crash can over." UGH. HORRIBLE WORDS!!! If my son starts using any of these phrases, we're getting out the soap. They're curse words as far as I'm concerned! (JK about the soap, of course)