Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Brought to you by the lens Jerry got me for my birthday

Last weekend, we took Allison to the circus. Technically it wasn't her first time because she was with us two years ago when I was pregnant. Although, I'm pretty sure snowcones taste more delicious out of the uterus.

I wasn't really sure what to expect taking a 17-month-old to see a live performance, but she loved it. At one point, Alli turned to me in her seat while waiving her glow sticks and shot me a look that said, "Mom, why didn't you TELL me today was going to be so awesome?"

DSC_0220
The only place you can high-five grown men in sequins who aren't trannies.


DSC_0225
Her legs? Not even to the edge of the seat.
My heart? Bursting from her itty adorableness.


DSC_0240
He acts like it's a house cat in someone's living room.


DSC_0241
Only their treats are hunks of raw flesh.


DSC_0261
Allison looking at me frantically while pointing at the ring just to
make sure I'm seeing the "DOH! DOH! DOH!" jumping! in the air!


DSC_0266
Dream of running away and joining the circus?
Train Mittens to traverse a tightrope on a sparkly felt ball.


DSC_0270
Or overcome your fear of heights.


DSC_0271
I would look entirely differently up there.
Mostly because I'd be clinging to the ropes in horror.


DSC_0276
And because these are babies, I automatically think of their mothers
and what they had to go through during childbirth. Certainly more
horrifying than balancing on a rope 50 feet in the air.


DSC_0289
This is just freaky. Speaking of mothers, I wonder
what hers did when she found her swinging upsidedown
from her treehouse as a 4-year-old.


DSC_0292
I wonder if sex is ever gratifying for these two.
Like the only way to get a thrill would be to do it mid-air.


DSC_0301
Day at the circus: $48
Hot dogs and snowcones: $10
Ride on an elephant: $14
Jerry's face: Priceless


DSC_0302
Another good reason to have kids -- an excuse to ride an elephant.


DSC_0308
Highlight of the afternoon? Monkeys dressed like Britney's backup dancers.


DSC_0313
I'm going to get Toby one of those outfits.

16 comments:

Lioncloud said...

The Easter bunny was traumatic, but she was ok with the clowns (which I always think are creepy and scary)???

Glrr

Cindy said...

I think the look on the face of the kid sitting behind Jerry is pretty hilarious too!!

Ray said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time at the circus! Those are some awesome shots. Especially the close-up shot of the trapeze lady in the air. Love the photo of Jerry and Alli on the elephant as well.

And LOL, "I wonder if sex is ever gratifying for these two.
Like the only way to get a thrill would be to do it mid-air." Good one. ;D

aj said...

hahaha Jerry's face IS priceless!

Candi said...

I've never been to the circus! I must go! Perhaps that should be added to my bucket list. :D

Thanks for taking us with you!

Lioncloud said...

Oh, and elephant childbirth? Nothing compared to giraffe childbirth. Giraffes give birth standing up and the baby has a 6 foot drop to the ground!

Wendy said...

I don't do heights either. I won't sit by the windows during meetings at my office located on the 17th floor. People try to play jokes on my by taking all other seats not by the windowns. I will stand all day if I have to.

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! awesome photos and captions!

Janice said...

That's so exciting! I've been to the circus twice and I worked both times selling cotton candy and whatnot. It was awesome. Looks like you guys had so much fun!

the_plainsman said...

Looks like you all had a great time, great pix, too., Allison sitting so attently in her seat - she does grasp things quickly, too. And never mind about those pole aerialists, what happens in the air after hours - is none of our business!

Anonymous said...

That's so sad that you are exposing Alli to animal cruelty under the guise that it is enjoyable. Don't you think she would be better off learning that animals are to be respected, not exploited?

That being said, she's pretty much the cutest thing ever.

Wendy M. said...

I totally snorted out loud at the Britney back-up dancer comment.

And as far as what anonymous has to say, I think you will be wise enough to teach Allison every side of a situation and then let her decide for her self...
... And I don't think all circus animals are treated cruelly anymore.

Great photos! I tried to get Scott to go with me but we did housework instead -- not as exciting as mid-air acrobatics and elephant rides, I'm sure.

Michael said...

Hey Kelly, you may remember me, or probably not. I've been reading your blog since before you even got married (it's creepy I feel like I know you on a personal level, and you don't know me at all) but I was catching up on what I'd missed on your blog and thought I'd mention this:

You already have your own domain name, and you suggested that it was obvious that you still had much of your previous reading base but they just weren't commenting... I offer a few ideas.

Abandoning Blogger. It's a troublesome mess honestly, and you should consider moving to WordPress blog, I wouldn't mind setting up a simple / clean layout similar to the one you have now, and I could easily host this for you and even move all your Blogger posts (and even all your old Xanga posts if you were interested) to create a full archive of your blogging. There are no cons to this move and the pros are as follow: more formatting tools for your posts, you could set it up so you could post to the blog via e-mail or using the web interface, easier commenting, and would allow your frequent commenters to easily include their pretty photo. archiving your posts onto your own computer (and wherever else), so you never lose those heartfelt letters to your Allison.

More communication / feedback with your readers. Perhaps hosting a weekly or monthly 1 hour chat session.

PERHAPS: Add a SINGLE ad to your blog. One pretty, not intrusive ad, and it'd be related to your blog topics. This would allow you offset the cost of a yearly domain ($10) and perhaps a dime for your time for those chat sessions you held.

All in all though, just some suggestions and another "I'm willing to help" the last one I sent was before you set novelle360.com up =p

Regards,
Michael
michael.c.bennett@live.com

Gisela said...

HATE circuses. animal cruelty 2 tha maxxx!

However, the face on that little girl behind Jerry on the elephant OWNS!

Kristin said...

Circuses with animals only make me think of all the shit that trainers put them through just to get them to perform for people. It sickens me =/

-KrIsTiN-

Kat said...

I know this is a late, late post - but I agree with the others who are against the (animal exploiting) circus'. The animals typically suffer tremendously, esp. the elephants. I have a great deal of respect for all animals but elephants hold a special place in my heart, and I will be doing conservation work with them in a few months. They are such amazing mothers. Sadly, circus elephants are usually stolen from their real mothers during infancy. Then they are trained using bullhooks and whips. The way the get them to do the stunts is through fear and intimidation. Many elephants will do the tricks to escape physical abuse, but some will not. Over the years many elephants have been killed by law enforcement after losing it and attacking trainers or other people. I have never heard of a circus elephant attacking a child, and most elephants have a conception that children should be protected. You should read the book "Fear of the Animal Kingdom" by scholar Jason Hribal. It's utterly amazing. Elephants should be free, and those from circuses should be retired and treated with respect. That said, circuses try to make everything look 'fun' and will never tell you how the animals suffer. Read and study, then decide for yourself!