Thursday, June 25, 2009

Coming from a kid who has been to Disneyland

When you're working really hard at something new, all you hope for day and night is that it starts to take off.

But sometimes it takes off so quickly, you wonder if it's too much too fast.

I guess it's a good problem to have. I've had so many people express interest in getting their portraits taken that I've asked them to be patient. Although I have the capability of taking photos, I want to make sure everything is in place to give my clients amazing service, beautiful prints with personal touches from a studio where the photographer pays attention to every detail.

Right now, I'm in the process of getting enough images to support my website, writing text, setting prices, finding a printer, ordering business cards, making appointments and swapping ideas with other photographers whose advice has been invaluable. I like to think that all the time I've taken answering e-mails from college students about the journalism profession over the years is paying off.

In addition to the creative end, which is far more appealing to me, I've cleared a little thinking space for the business end -- taxes, logistics, my direct competition -- and am even attending a three-hour business start-up seminar today at a local college campus.

The progress is slow, but steady. Jerry checked off two big things on my to-do list yesterday by setting up a business phone line and installing an air conditioner in my studio. Now I won't have to sweat about those hot summer days. Literally.

He got some help and free wood from our neighbor, Dave, to even out the plane of the window, and while they were working, his son, Nicholas, asked to go upstairs and check out the space.

The fact that he asked was strange in itself. Nicholas has always made himself at home in our place, feeling more than comfortable to venture upstairs, announce that he's hungry and even look under our beds.

So when he asked quietly, as if in awe, I was curious enough to follow him to the third floor and observe his reaction.

"So this is where you take your pictures?" he asked, rotating in a full circle from one spot to take in the room.

"Yep," I said. "Pretty soon I'll take your picture, too."

He just nodded and was uncharacteristically quiet. Then, after checking out the lights a little more closely and walking to the center of the backdrop, he made his assessment.

"This is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in my whole life."

With an endorsement like that, I have to be doing at least a few things right.

8 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Congrats on getting off to such a great start!!

But it hasn't been mentioned before, so I have to ask: if this proves to be lucrative (sp?), are you going to quit your job and do portraits full-time??

LeslieAnn said...

Thank you so much! I'm one of those college students who sent you questions in past years. And now I'm a journalist and still awake because I got out on deadline tonight at 2 a.m. I'm hoping for good things for you. :D

Candi said...

I know what you mean about having to ask for patience. You gotta love all the faith people have in you but then sometimes it's hard to facilitate all that faith! :)

Kristin said...

oh goshh.
congratulations on such an awesome start.
And you were worried that it wouldn't take off(:

-KrIsTiN-

Ray said...

Awww, that's too cute! =o)

It looks like you have everything under control, and that your business is definitely off to a booming start. Remember though: if it's too much too fast (as you've written) take some time off. Also give yourself days off from working so you can enjoy your family as well.

V said...

It sounds like you're doing wonderfully! I've been reading your blog for years, since your Xanga days. I marvel at how you're so well-adapted to each of your roles -- as woman (hair dilemmas and all, although your hair looks very cute from your recent pic), wife, mother, friend, journalist, blogger, and now an entrepreneur/photographer.

I recently graduated high school and I aspire to become a doctor. Reading about how you balance every aspect of your life truly inspires in me the faith that I can do it all, too! :) You are a lady of great talent and energy. Best wishes to you!

Sarah said...

I'm one of those persepctive journalists who e-mailed you a while ago too! I'm starting college in the fall and still remember your advice! =]

I can't wait to see more of your shots, and even a website if you decide to share it with us! I love reading about this new adventure of yours! =]

Sara Padrusch said...

So glad things are going so well for you! Your photos are wonderful!