Friday, June 12, 2009

Worthy of an extra piece of chocolate

I had a different post planned entirely, but instead, I want to give a shout out to my incredible mother who would kill me if I mentioned today was her birthday, so I won't.

She is at the top of the long list of people in my life I don't tell often enough how much they mean to me. To put it simply, I don't know what I'd do without her.

My mom is like my personal shock absorber. Whether something amazing or devastating happens in my life, I know she'll feel the impact with me. She always knows the right things to say and always manages to make me feel important. Like my thoughts and feelings are a high priority.

But more than all that, she is the best listener on the planet. We talk almost every day on my way to work, and most of the time I monopolize the conversation with my word diarrhea. I always have a million things to tell her because she listens better than anyone else I know. It doesn't hurt that the mother-daughter clause dictates that she agree with me most of the time, too.

Unfortunately, she is not easy to buy gifts for when things like the birthday I'm not mentioning roll around. This is a woman who does not begrudge herself something when she wants it. Sure, she has a ridiculous collection of Longenberger baskets and a Pandora bracelet that can always use new charms. Plus, I can almost guarantee that if I got her a cute poolside container for Chex mix with fish on it, she'd immediately fall in love. And, when all else fails, I always have Allison's adorable face to fall back on.

But I wanted to do better than that on her birthday that's certainly not today. I want her to know that even though she hates celebrating it or even acknowledging its annual existence, it's an important day to me.

Because I'm glad she's here -- which probably dictates a shout out to my amazing grandma, too. (Hi grandma! Way to go!)

So, Happy Day Mom.

See? By leaving the "birth" part out of it, you can't pshhhaw it.

Thanks for being you.

Love and long-distance kisses. I hope it's as spectacular as you are.

6 comments:

the_plainsman said...

Wishing your Mom and all, a happy day.

Speaking of moms and daughters, four generation photos of all needs to be done, both creative and formal - you can set them up, but Jerry will have to trip the shutter!

Anonymous said...

Aw! Happy non-birthday to your mom!

Lisa said...

Oh Kelly, I wish had your ability of putting thoughts into words so beautifully. I could't agree more.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a grandparent, those cute faces make pretty good gifts but seeing as you're a photog now, she will get lots of those so good luck finding something for you mom (even though it's her un-birthday)

darcy

Lioncloud said...

She has been an excellent sister too!

Glrr

Ray said...

Such a beautiful birthday gift to your mom (because with you your words never fail you). I know she'll enjoy it even if she doesn't want to acknowledge that today's her birthday. Which by the way, "A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU (KELLY'S MOM)!!" =D