Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Immortalizing my two-toned hair

So I thought it was about damn time I changed my profile picture. How long have I been blogging? Almost five years?

And I've had the same photo almost the entire time.

Jerry had been telling me I could talk him through taking my portrait, but I was hesitant.

"You set everything up. Put the lights in the right places, get your camera on all the right settings and tell me how to do it."

I thought it was going to be more work than it was worth. But with the Expo coming up and hopefully increased site traffic, I wanted to update my outdated photo on my clients' proof page, too. That photo was taken before I got married. I look like a kid.

So when we put Allison down for a nap this afternoon, I did my hair, picked out a top I thought would go well with my skin tone and grabbed some earrings -- a rarity these days thanks to Allison's grabby fingers.

I did as Jerry suggested. I got everything the way I wanted it and tested the lighting on Jer. Then I handed over my camera with explicit instructions to go slow, hand it back to me every few shots so I could see what the results looked like and decide whether I needed to adjust anything.

And, you know what? It worked really well. He did an awesome job.

He laughed because I kept moving a little after each flash, but I told him I wouldn't have myself telling me what to adjust, so I just went with it.

I'm really happy with the result. Here's my pseudo self-portrait:

DSC_0139_5

I hope you like it. Because it'll probably stick around until 2013.

18 comments:

the_plainsman said...

Great photo, Jerry! Guess it's easy though, when your sbject is as pretty as that Kelly person you married. Hey, that IS Kelly!

Ps. Note to Kelly: WHAT two-toned hair?

MadHousewife said...

great picture! :)

the_plainsman said...

Looked again this AM, thinking my eyes were not sharp enough late last night, but still do not see any of that two-toned hair color...

Anonymous said...

lovely...
-sreenitha

Jessica said...

I like it!

novelle360 said...

Plainsman,

I have my monitor specially set up to detect every little thing, so maybe it's not as obvious on other monitors. Which is good!

Erica said...

Wow, it looks great and professional! And as far as two-toned, I suppose I can vaguely see some lighter brown and dark brown differences, but I feel like a lot of people's hair does that naturally, so it looks very natural. And again, I wouldn't have even vaguely noticed anything if you hadn't mentioned it. So I guess success. It's a beautiful portrait and your hair looks lovely!

Liz said...

this is a great business headshot but it's not as fun as your other photo was! i wanna see a personality shot of allison smearing you with food and jerry doing something crazy in the background!

that said, i let the boyfriend use my camera during the last client shoot i had because i wasn't in place for a shot, and he did a GREAT job. see the "bride putting on her shoes" shot in my facebook portfolio. it's VERY reminiscent of my style, too.

ashley said...

great shot. you're so beautiful, kelly.

Lioncloud said...

It's beautiful, Kel. Two-toned hair? You make it sound like you look like a panda...clearly you're the only one who sees two tones!

Glrr

Ray said...

I'm LOVING the new photo! You look fabulous! And as long as you're around until 2013 and beyond, "I'm fine with the photo." ;o)

Ray said...

P.S. I just saw the photo of your first newspaper ad on Twitter! That is SO AWESOME! Wow. So happy for you! =D

Anonymous said...

I love it! And actually prefer it over the former. You look so much warmer. :)

Candi said...

It is a great pic and I really love that top. The color looks great on you.

For what it's worth, I don't see any flaws in your hair!

Mia said...

That's the first thing I saw when I opened the page!
I think it's a really cute picture of you! And with your hair pulled back the way it is, it mostly hides the two-toned parts so that they're really not noticeable!

Kristin said...

Your hair looks fineee =P
Also, I just caught up on like, three pages of your blogs, and OMFG your website looks so freakingg good!
I literally just spent like, 20 minutes on it because I wanted to look at every single page.
When it comes time to get them done, I may actually find some way to get you to do my senior pictures xD

-KrIsTiN-

Jennifer Suarez said...

WOAH! Hot momma!!! *wolf whistle*

It's BEAUTIFUL! Nice job Jerry!

Maria said...

I don't think I can handle the change!

I too have been using the same photo since I started bloging 4 years ago. Everytime I try to change it I end up going back to my original picture for whatever reason.